What's new

Asylum RX razor

Brush, Razorock Big Bruce Synthetic,
Blade, Feather Pro Guard 1st use
Soap, PAA Atmotic,
Maggard's alum block, Thayers Aloe Vera Witch Hazel,
Razor, Asylum RX

1st time use, almost dont feel the blade and pretty mild even for an AC.

Some feedback from the alum, and almost BBS.

Nice buy!!!!
proxy.php

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

Art, I salute your technique! Even with the Feather Proguard, the Asylum is a very blade forward razor. The Proguard is my favorite blade in the Asylum. Cheers!

Art, I salute your technique! Even with the Feather Proguard, the Asylum is a very blade forward razor. The Proguard is my favorite blade in the Asylum. Cheers!
Appeciate your words.

Don't have any other blades, so I guess I need to order some others to try them.

Art.

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

Art - I recommend trying Schick Proline blades. Sharp but smooth, for me they perform better than Feather Professional and are a bit gentler than Feather Pro Supers! Happy Shaves!

The last few months I’ve been using my old Slim, but today I decided to drag out the Asylum RX as I don’t think I’ve used it in several months. I dropped in a fresh Kai and man what a great shave. I forgot what a wonderful shaver these are and I appreciate the unique design.

The last few months I’ve been using my old Slim, but today I decided to drag out the Asylum RX as I don’t think I’ve used it in several months. I dropped in a fresh Kai and man what a great shave. I forgot what a wonderful shaver these are and I appreciate the unique design.
I did the same over the weekend. I been testing out my newly acquired King Cobra and wanted to see how the RX compared to it. Great shaver. Too close to call a winner. Tonight is my usual Genesis night and compared that to the recent RX shave. Got to give the slight edge to the RX as it was more maneuverable and could dial in a closer shave.

I did the same over the weekend. I been testing out my newly acquired King Cobra and wanted to see how the RX compared to it. Great shaver. Too close to call a winner. Tonight is my usual Genesis night and compared that to the recent RX shave. Got to give the slight edge to the RX as it was more maneuverable and could dial in a closer shave.
Hey! You got a King Cobra!! Fantastic!
Remember the days when the Cobra Classic was the ONLY AC safety razor? And now look... :)

I’ve tried almost all of the AC razors (not Paradigm or Vector though) and I sold my Rx because I found that although I liked the blade feel (and superb design) I was still getting much better shaves from some of my other aggressive razors notably Alumigoose v2, Claymore v2 and 2011 R41.
Of course none of those 3 razors are still in production so I guess that means the Rx wears the current crown.

You haven't tried the ATT SE2 V2! :001_tt2:
Indeed you’ve mentioned this before
What’s the general (sic) opinion on Rx vs SE2?

I only tried the SE2 V1 which was just a bumped up SE1... also I’m very interested to hear performance reports on the Vector too.

But I am so in love with the Claymore v2 which even outshaves my all time favourite 2011 R41.
This is a feat that not even the Cobra or the Rx could achieve for me.

I am also one of the very few people on Earth who find the Claymore v2 attractive - it is a beautiful piece of Art Deco design.

I think in terms of production values the Rx is out in front but all the AC safety razors are very well made aren’t they?

Interesting, I haven’t tried a Claymore yet. I like ATT, I have an S1 Slant I still use regularily. That drove me to try the SE1 and I found it fairly unremarkable. It was fine, very much like a slightly more aggressive General, but not set far enough apart to hang onto. For me, with the correct blade, the RX is a better shaver and I like the overall design.

Indeed you’ve mentioned this before
What’s the general (sic) opinion on Rx vs SE2?

I only tried the SE2 V1 which was just a bumped up SE1... also I’m very interested to hear performance reports on the Vector too.

But I am so in love with the Claymore v2 which even outshaves my all time favourite 2011 R41.
This is a feat that not even the Cobra or the Rx could achieve for me.

I am also one of the very few people on Earth who find the Claymore v2 attractive - it is a beautiful piece of Art Deco design.

I think in terms of production values the Rx is out in front but all the AC safety razors are very well made aren’t they?

The RX and SE2 V2 with a Proline are both the most efficient razors I've used, key word Proline. First use, I found the SE2 easier to wield, practice would probably even things up though, as I only used the RX in a pass around.

Having said that, we are creatures of habit, I used the RX and SE2 V2 with the same technique, same light touch. With the SE1/Proline, I add pressure and I can get a shave that last as long as the SE2 and a more forgiving, safer shave.

I used a GEM Push button yesterday and applied all kinds of pressure and was rewarded with a shave that lasted just long as the best if them. Because it was my first time applying that kind of pressure with the GPB, I need more practice to perfect it, got some sting from the AS.

Spending exclusive time with a mild and applying as much pressure as you can take can make a mild razor hang with the big boys with added safety!

I personally don't care for the RX design, it's unique but not for me.

It's all about technique...

Last edited:

Hey Gary - congrats on getting a King Cobra! A truly man sized razor! I like the extra long handle... And when I need a good facial peel, throw in a Prosuper and away I go ;). Happy Holidays!

Hey Gary - congrats on getting a King Cobra! A truly man sized razor! I like the extra long handle... And when I need a good facial peel, throw in a Prosuper and away I go ;). Happy Holidays!
That extra long handle was just too much of a good thing for me and so I got a new one from Russia off eBay. It just came in today. This is the original King Cobra next to the RX (which isn't a small razor to begin with)
hu2.JPG

Kind of reminded me of a pic I saw on Wrestlemania a while ago
hulk andre.jpg

This is the KC with the titanium handle. Still larger than the RX, but closer. It also weighs less.
hu1.JPG

I just saw an announcement from Bullgoose recently that the RX is officially gone from the Asylum line up so now that the KC is back in production, the RX is now history.

Very sharp looking handle on your Cobra! I suggest Ceasar's Cobra!!!
Ahh, with time all my favorites are becoming endangered species!

Farewell then Rx - it’s one of the all time greats!

+1. A very unique razor that shaves well.

Yeah, another great and uniquely designed shaver relegated to being yesterday's classic because of the attention span of shavers all wanting the latest and shiniest. The razors that really moved the AC safety razor concept forward have mostly succumbed to this. Colonial is in no hurry to introduce their v2 General, RR is still only talking of a v3 Hawk, Ikon MRE and El Jefe is gone, and I doubt if Galco will ever reintroduce the Cobra Classic. I guess I should appreciate that they reintroduced the King Cobra.

Meh...

The Asylum RX is very efficient with a Proline, which requires excellent technique. Use a guarded blade and it's no more efficient than any other AC razor with a Proline. I guess you're just paying for its unique look if you use guarded blades.

It's unique looking, not my taste. Blade stops on an AC razor, really? Some people could use Pro Super blades and some couldn't use them because of the useless blade stops. I'm surprised it sold as long as it did.

Meh...

The Asylum RX is very efficient with a Proline, which requires excellent technique. Use a guarded blade and it's no more efficient than any other AC razor with a Proline. I guess you're just paying for its unique look if you use guarded blades.

It's unique looking, not my taste. Blade stops on an AC razor, really? Some people could use Pro Super blades and some couldn't use them because of the useless blade stops. I'm surprised it sold as long as it did.

I disagree. The RX is an excellent shaver. The unique design, look, and limited availability, and now unobtainable status add to the total package. The AC blades offer enough variability that many shavers can find a blade that works for them. It does take good technique, but so does my straight razor. It makes a great shave even more rewarding. I don’t use the RX every day and never will, but I do use it once in a while and am always rewarded.

You mention that using an RX with a guarded blade makes it no more efficient than others using a Proline. Perhaps, but, the RXs efficiency can be raised by using another blade rather than its efficiency being capped by its design like The General and ATT.

As I’ve said before, the RX is like a vertical shavette.

To be sure, the RX is not for everyone. The shaver must have sound technique and patience to master this tool. Yet another reason I appreciate mine so much.

Top Bottom