What's new

Return from the brink of RAD

I am curious as to what levels your RAD got to, if and when you turned it around, and where are you now. For the purpose of this discussion, I limit RAD to razors one shaved, shaves, intends to shave, or intended to shave with. Collectibles are a completely different matter and, in a way, more easily justifiable reason to have multiple items.

In my case, the stable briefly hit 17. Part of that was last 3 purchases were better examples of 3 I already owned. Like many, it all started for me, with a 34C and an EJ89. In order, here are my purchases(x means since gone).

34C, EJ89, x-Long Comb New, x-1962 Slim Adjustable,x-1972 SS Black Handle, x-Pre-War Tech, 1958 Fatboy, 1955 Red Tip, x-37C Slant, 40’s Super Speed, x-1957 Blue Tip, 1968 Slim Adjustable, x-1972 Super Adjustable 84, x-1954 Ball-End Tech, x-1972 Tech, x-1972 Tech, NDC Gold Ball-End Post War Tech

Sold off

1962 Slim - never used and replaced with better condition 1968 Slim.

72 Tech - Replaced with better 72 Tech, also never used.

1953 Tech - Replaced with better condition NDC Gold Tech, also never used.

72 Tech - the one that replaced first 1972 Tech. Decided birth year razors not important to me. NDC Post-War Tech is cooler.

1972 SA 84 - Birth year not important. It was Ok, but preferred my other two adjustable razors. Combination of redundancy and a little bit of YMMV dislike.

Pre-war Tech - first sold due to solely YMMV. Never got along with it.

Blue Tip - Not different enough from other super speeds, if anything too mild.

1972 Super Speed Black Handle - liked my other SS’s better, birth year no longer important to me. Slight regret selling.

37C - Not enough difference compared to 34C, could sell it for more than 34C. Slight regret selling too soon. Got about 15-20 shaves on it.

Long Comb New - Couldn’t get along with it. Part of it was, due to almost no plating on handle, strong copper smell when shaving under nose.

That got me to 7.

On the bubble, might sell one day:

Fat boy - slightly prefer Slim, can get more money for FB than slim. Not sure it’s worth having two adjustable razors. Will have a shave-off against Slim next month.

EJ89 - Too inefficient. Have only kept as travel razor as it’s 3 piece and, unlike a vintage, easy to replace and has no nostalgic value.

Coming soon:

Santa is bringing

Fatip Gentile - hopefully fills EJ89 roll with more efficiency; 3 piece, inexpensive, easy to replace.

Fatip Piccolo - give open comb another try at a reasonable price.

Set Aside and not counted:

1960 Super Speed Flare Tip - saving for eldest son. Any day Mom will have enough of his mustache.

So I got to 17, dropped quickly to 14, then steadily came down to 7. I am soon to be, temporarily, up to 9. I think I’m comfortable being at 7-10. Doubt EJ89 and Gentile get both kept, so will quickly get to 8. If Fatboy goes, that is 7. I’m unlikely to get past 12 again.

I’m curious to hear what journeys others have gone through.

I've only been at this a couple of months, but I have a 1956 Flare Tip Superspeed, a post-war Ball-End Tech (brass with gold finish), and an ATT Kronos M1. I'm actively looking for a British Aristocrat (or two...I want gold, but wouldn't mind a rhodium also) and possibly an R1 base for my ATT if I can find a lightly used one at a good price. After that, I'll see what strikes my fancy.

Greg

I've only been at this a couple of months, but I have a 1956 Flare Tip Superspeed, a post-war Ball-End Tech (brass with gold finish), and an ATT Kronos M1. I'm actively looking for a British Aristocrat (or two...I want gold, but wouldn't mind a rhodium also) and possibly an R1 base for my ATT if I can find a lightly used one at a good price. After that, I'll see what strikes my fancy.

Greg
What did you start with?

I am currently finishing my 2018 Shaving Purchase Sabbatical!! This has helped me enjoy my current hardware and software and contain some of my ADs!

I am currently finishing my 2018 Shaving Purchase Sabbatical!! This has helped me enjoy my current hardware and software and contain some of my ADs!
After getting down to 7 razors, I upped my soap and AS repertoire. 2019 will be focused on enjoying what I have, mostly.

What did you start with?

Spent a few months researching various razors, and finally bought an ATT Kronos M1. Picked up the other two from B&B'ers a couple of weeks ago. I tried out the Superspeed a few days ago and liked it. I'm saving the gold Tech for my wife to give me as a Christmas present, along with a couple of creams from Stone Cottage - Frankincense Fog and Spiced Myrrh. Seemed appropriate, and I think my kids and grandkids will enjoy the symbolism.

Greg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Mid to late 80's:
Disposable razors, and twin blade cartridge systems

Early 90's:
First DE. Wilkinson Sword Classic

Early 90's to 2012-ish:
Occasional diversion into cartridges (birthday and Christmas presents), but always returning to DE

2012-2013:
Edwin Jagger DE3D14, Parker 22 Interceptor, Merkur 985, Dovo shavette, Wilkinson Sword Empire, Darwin Universal Hollow Ground, Rolls Razor, an old Sheffield straight.

2013-2017:
Old stuff lived in a drawer untouched. Mainly used the Jagger at home, and Merkur for travel. Everything else neglected. Grew a full beard for a couple of years.

Late 2017:
Decided to ressurect the old stuff. Signed up at this forum.

2018:
Gillette Super Click came and went
Fatip Grande came and went
Passed on Wilkinson Sword Empire and Parker 22 Interceptor.
Partial restoration of old stuff

2019:
Planned purchase of Razorine, and honing stone/s. Planned completion of restorations. Possible offloading of more razors.

Summary:
Brief episode of razor gluttony in 2012/2013. Sudden onset buyers remorse. Cured.

I started off my journey in 2012. I tried many vintage razors and my collection was easily around 30 plus razors. I went a few years without RAD. Eventually, I started experimenting with a few modern razors. I had too many razors that offered varying levels of shaves. I decided to try the Japanese method of decluttering and cut down my collection to my top 9 DE's for excellent shaves. (I wanted my collection to be in the single digits)

I have downsized my collection to these:

Modern: Rockwell 6S, Rex Ambassador, ATT Kronos R1.
Vintage: Gillette NEW RFB, Aristocrat Jr 49'(#21 head), Gillette Popular(similar head to first gen #15 aristocrat), Fatboy, 46' aristocrat, 1934 Aristocrat.

All of the above give excellent close shaves, some milder than others. Each razor in the rotation gives me BBS, and whatever is in hand is currently my favorite. I Still rotate about 12 or so soaps, but overall my entire den is much smaller than it used to be.

Last edited:
I started off my journey in 2012. I tried many vintage razors and my collection was easily around 30 plus razors. I went a few years without RAD. Eventually, I started experimenting with a few modern razors. I had too many razors that offered varying levels of shaves. I decided to try the Japanese method of decluttering and cut down my collection to my top 9 DE's for excellent shaves. (I wanted my collection to be in the single digits)

I have downsized my collection to these:

Modern: Rockwell 6S, Rex Ambassador, ATT Kronos R1.
Vintage: Gillette NEW RFB, Aristocrat Jr 49'(#21 head), Gillette Popular(similar head to first gen #15 aristocrat), Fatboy, 46' aristocrat, 1934 Aristocrat.

All of the above give excellent close shaves, some milder than others. Each razor in the rotation gives me BBS, and whatever is in hand is currently my favorite. I Still rotate about 12 or so soaps, but overall my entire den is much smaller than it used to be.
I have just done a soap expansion and will spend 2019 doing as I did with the razors, figuring out the keepers. I have 7 hard soaps, 4 creams, 3 soft soaps(2 are croap versions of 2 of my creams), and two sticks. All in rotation except 1 croap, P.160, that’s under the XMas tree with the Fatips.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This year was a full blown RAD for Vintage and a few modern ones, right now into Gem razors and they are amazing and very affordable even with shipping. Shipping can be more expensive than razors sometimes. I'm thinking on going on a sabbatical for 2019 but...... who knows.

Started with a black plastic Wilkinson sword DE razor (which is great imho) and then "upgraded" to a Baili TTO. I can't get irritation free shaves with it, however the build quality is surprisingly good from a cheapo chinese razor.
In parallel I ordered the Mingshi 2000 futur clone again from China, which is a nice shaver but I really don't use it anymore.
My go to was a Maggard MR1 EJ copy head with a hefty stainless steel handle. I used it for a year or so exclusively. Quite mild shaver I'd say I learnt to shave on this razor. Blade alignment always bothered me. I got a same EJ copy head from Yaqi as a gift which is a lot nicer but shaves the same anyway.
Recently I wanted to step up from the MR1 on a budget and I really wanted a Fatip or something like that. But someone recommended a vintage Gillette tech. So I bought one for 10 bucks and man. It was the smoothest shave of my life. An english 70's alu handle tech... To my surprise the blade alignment is 100% spot on every time. It's smooth and efficient in the same time. However it has the ability and efficiency to gor for super BBS if you want to, even with a mild blade. Very rigid blade holding design. Amazing.
So I ordered a Fat handle tech which I found to be a bit more aggressive, perfect for 2 pass shaves. Also I bought a ball end alu handle english tech which - again - a super smooth shaver. I really love those.
And because I liked the TTO concept I bought a nice super speed flare tip which is now my favourite of all. The smoothest shaver, no blade feel which I like, still gets me the most enjoyable shaves every time. No burn, no irritation whatsoever.

So it gets me to my last order which is a Gillette blue tip super speed which I haven't received yet.
I'm really looking forward to try it out.

The purpose of shaving changed in the recent months for me. It is a ritual, a hobby and I want to experience scents, chill, whatever. The last thing I want is razor burn, irritation, nicks and weepers. So I'm enjoying the smooth mild shavers a lot these days and I prefer my vintage Gillettes over anything else. I don't chase BBS anymore. It just happens.

Wish you all smooth and enjoyable shaves folks.

Take care,
TT

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

I went from a Merkur 23c to a Feather Popular, to a Qshave Futur clone, to a Weishi adjustable TTO, to a Rockwell 6C, to a Game Changer .68, and finally a Merkur Progress. I should have just got the Progress. Well, I will go back to the other ones, but I the Progress does everything I need to do and I find (YMMV) the easiest one for me to use on a day to day basis. That having been said, if it craps out, the Weishi and the Game Changer won't.

Started with a ball end Tech in 1966. Currently using a nickel over brass Schone OC.

There were about 18 razors in between, mostly the usual suspects. Frankly, they all worked pretty well.

I went from a Merkur 23c to a Feather Popular, to a Qshave Futur clone, to a Weishi adjustable TTO, to a Rockwell 6C, to a Game Changer .68, and finally a Merkur Progress. I should have just got the Progress. Well, I will go back to the other ones, but I the Progress does everything I need to do and I find (YMMV) the easiest one for me to use on a day to day basis. That having been said, if it craps out, the Weishi and the Game Changer won't.

The Progress has been on my Amazon wishlist for months. After I decided to reduce the numbers of razors I have, it went on sale. I was tempted but resisted. If, for some reason, I get down to 5-6 razors and it goes on sale, I just might.

I am curious as to what levels your RAD got to, if and when you turned it around, and where are you now. For the purpose of this discussion, I limit RAD to razors one shaved, shaves, intends to shave, or intended to shave with. Collectibles are a completely different matter and, in a way, more easily justifiable reason to have multiple items.

In my case, the stable briefly hit 17. Part of that was last 3 purchases were better examples of 3 I already owned. Like many, it all started for me, with a 34C and an EJ89. In order, here are my purchases(x means since gone).

34C, EJ89, x-Long Comb New, x-1962 Slim Adjustable,x-1972 SS Black Handle, x-Pre-War Tech, 1958 Fatboy, 1955 Red Tip, x-37C Slant, 40’s Super Speed, x-1957 Blue Tip, 1968 Slim Adjustable, x-1972 Super Adjustable 84, x-1954 Ball-End Tech, x-1972 Tech, x-1972 Tech, NDC Gold Ball-End Post War Tech

Sold off

1962 Slim - never used and replaced with better condition 1968 Slim.

72 Tech - Replaced with better 72 Tech, also never used.

1953 Tech - Replaced with better condition NDC Gold Tech, also never used.

72 Tech - the one that replaced first 1972 Tech. Decided birth year razors not important to me. NDC Post-War Tech is cooler.

1972 SA 84 - Birth year not important. It was Ok, but preferred my other two adjustable razors. Combination of redundancy and a little bit of YMMV dislike.

Pre-war Tech - first sold due to solely YMMV. Never got along with it.

Blue Tip - Not different enough from other super speeds, if anything too mild.

1972 Super Speed Black Handle - liked my other SS’s better, birth year no longer important to me. Slight regret selling.

37C - Not enough difference compared to 34C, could sell it for more than 34C. Slight regret selling too soon. Got about 15-20 shaves on it.

Long Comb New - Couldn’t get along with it. Part of it was, due to almost no plating on handle, strong copper smell when shaving under nose.

That got me to 7.

On the bubble, might sell one day:

Fat boy - slightly prefer Slim, can get more money for FB than slim. Not sure it’s worth having two adjustable razors. Will have a shave-off against Slim next month.

EJ89 - Too inefficient. Have only kept as travel razor as it’s 3 piece and, unlike a vintage, easy to replace and has no nostalgic value.

Coming soon:

Santa is bringing

Fatip Gentile - hopefully fills EJ89 roll with more efficiency; 3 piece, inexpensive, easy to replace.

Fatip Piccolo - give open comb another try at a reasonable price.

Set Aside and not counted:

1960 Super Speed Flare Tip - saving for eldest son. Any day Mom will have enough of his mustache.

So I got to 17, dropped quickly to 14, then steadily came down to 7. I am soon to be, temporarily, up to 9. I think I’m comfortable being at 7-10. Doubt EJ89 and Gentile get both kept, so will quickly get to 8. If Fatboy goes, that is 7. I’m unlikely to get past 12 again.

I’m curious to hear what journeys others have gone through.
I had a brilliant awakening to wet shaving which was immediately followed by the irresistible urge to seek out unique or historical examples of the art. Meaning I bought tons of razors.

When the fervor died down and I thought I had it all under control suddenly from the comforting fog of Un-RAD there appeared an item I could not resist. Egad! The RAD had returned!

With the arrival of the prized item a fear began to boil inside my brain that I will again fall prey to the insidious entanglements of unsated desire for razor. But...I have the latest RAD killer in my hands and thankfully the fog of Un-RAD envelops me in warm comfortable contentment.

But then... what is that? In the fog?

*thinking*

OK. All of my razors are vintage from eBay, none of which cost more than $16 because I'm not willing to spend more than pocket money on a razor when there are so many good cheap ones out there.

Started off with a random black handle Super Speed for maybe $8. Once I got used to DE shaving, I finally realized it was too mild for my needs.
Bought a random Slim adjustable for twelve bucks. That is now my daily driver and favorite razor.
Bought an early G injector to try ($2). It's nice, but I can't maintain the muscle memory needed to use it efficiently when I mostly use the DE, so it's been sidelined.
Bought a gold NDC ball end Tech for $12, to see what it was like. Way too mild. But it turned out to be in so much better condition than the pictures (it's nearly NOS with no plating loss or dirt at all) that I permanently retired it to keep as a collectible, and it lives in the den with the rest of my antiques.
The Super Speed was PIFed.
Then I thought I should have a birth quarter razor. Found a wonderfully clean Super Speed for six bucks and bought it, because I was having trouble finding a fairly priced adjustable. This SS is also too mild and has been sidelined. Maybe it will go on the shelf next to the Tech.
Finally found a birth quarter Super 109 on eBay at a price I was willing to pay. I thought it would become my new daily driver. It is okay but I am not adjusting well to the longer handle, and it is not better at shaving than the Slim. It's a keeper and will be used sometimes, but will not be the daily driver.

Along the way I also bought a Trac II handle and an Atra handle. The Trac is an acceptable travel razor. The Atra is a loser. I've forgotten how to operate a pivot head razor. I keep pivoting the head right off my skin. To hell with that.

So. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. There are four pre-cartridge razors in the bathroom and five altogether, of which two ever see any use.

But then... what is that? In the fog?

How I feel every year: new razors from established artisans that are "the best ever", a new up and coming razor maker that is "the best ever", and some obscure vintage that is "The best ever".

Well this year I called it quits as I have cut my rotation to 9 "The best ever" and there will always be one around the corner.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My RAD was in full bloom for about 10 months. I’ve hunted and found most of the vintage razors coveted by users and collectors, mostly on ebay (US and UK) or BST. I’ve sold or given away the vast majority of those finds. But, I’m done hunting and selling for now and looking forward to settling in with my current den. It’s a small den, but these are the tools that work best for me.

1. First Generation British Aristocrat (#15 open comb)
2. Third Generation British Aristocrat (#16)
3. Goodwill #160
4. British Goodwill (French Market)
5. 2-piece RFB
6. 3-piece RFB
7. Slim
8. British Hybrid Tech
9. Muhle R41
10. Karve (E and F plates).
11. Senator/Sheraton

I’ve deleted the ebay app from my phone, and I check out BST now only occasionally.

I’m giving serious consideration to joining the 2019 Sabbatical.

Last edited:
I really need to join the 2019 Sabbatical for razors and brushes, I need help! I’ve trimmed my collection to 26 DE’s and 3 AC SE’s and my brushes to 18

Top Bottom