What's new

...Amused by the conflation of "efficiency" and price

I've been reading a bunch of reviews and web threads on DE razors recently and I notice a fair amount of talk about how a given razor is "very efficient for the asking price" or "almost as efficient and smooth as the [insert $300 boutique razor here]".

This begs the question: when did the cost of a razor become its measure? There are cheap razors that are mild and cheap razors that are out of control aggressive, same with expensive razors. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have modern stainless DE razors available and that they are on the whole excellent performers, but there are still $25 cast "metal" razors out there that offer all the aggression or smoothness that one could wish for as well as vintage DEs with just about any attribute you might want, often for just a few bucks.

This seems to mirror in some respects the mania for razor handles that outweigh entire heavy profile TTO razors from years past... I get that when you strive to shave without having to modulate the pressure on your razor a heavier handle than some of the vintage hollow styles can be essential, but 3 oz. handles? really?? Ditto for seeking ever more "aggression" and 30mm brush knots...

When I shave, I want to easily and painlessly remove my whiskers and do so in a fashion that leaves my face smooth... hopefully the effect will even last until evening time. I *don't* want to fight off a $250, rabid, armor plated wolverine, then brag about how it ripped off my facial hair closer than anything else I've experienced before *and* I managed to survive, mostly unscathed.

Whatever shave you desire can probably be had with either a $20 kit or a $500 kit, usually the build quality on the expensive gear will be way ahead of the budget alternative, but we should remember to give credit where credit is due and to remember that *everything* in the wet shaving world falls under the heading of YMMV ;)

When I shave, I want to easily and painlessly remove my whiskers and do so in a fashion that leaves my face smooth... hopefully the effect will even last until evening time. I *don't* want to fight off a $250, rabid, armor plated wolverine, then brag about how it ripped off my facial hair closer than anything else I've experienced before *and* I managed to survive, mostly unscathed.

;)

Yes. This.

I have a few expensive razors, and a few "budget" razors. All of them shave well. However, regardless of price, some of them do so effortlessly and some require a lot of concentration.

My preference is a great shave that is comfortable and relaxing. I don't want to be terrified of Sweeny Todding myself when I shave. I have two razors I very rarely use anymore because they are too aggressive for my taste: a budget slant razor and a premium SS.

Grasshopper,

You have uncovered the secret of the universe. A razor should first shave well. The rest are details.

I didn’t quite follow the original post. But glad the shaver is happy. That’s what it’s all about, enjoyment of shaves!

I've been reading a bunch of reviews and web threads on DE razors recently and I notice a fair amount of talk about how a given razor is "very efficient for the asking price" or "almost as efficient and smooth as the [insert $300 boutique razor here]".

This begs the question: when did the cost of a razor become its measure?...

The "snob factor" works well in consumerism. Ask Cadillac or Lexus. :001_smile I use a plain ol' Gillette Tech for 95% of my shaves.

Grasshopper,

You have uncovered the secret of the universe. A razor should first shave well. The rest are details.

I'll add "without too much difficulty".

Good technique trumps most everything else in traditional shaving! At least IME.

To misquote a famous saying... good technique comes from experience, experience comes from bade technique.

I'm not even sure that build quality is necessarily greatly superior on the modern "super razors" (beautiful as some of them are) when compared with more reasonably priced models. The materials used are often more expensive and difficult to work with, and production runs are small, further increasing unit cost, but does that make them better razors? Some people think so, which is fine, but I'm far from convinced.

Good technique trumps most everything else in traditional shaving! At least IME.
I had the same thought. Terms like aggression and mild are truly meaningless if the user lacks the skill set to use properly. So, a mild razor can nick and an aggressive razor can be ineffective in the hands of someone who can't use it or tries to shave too quickly.

R

romsitsa

Look at the bright side, there are razors (new and vintage) for every budget and taste/preference.

Adam

Let folks use what they want and can afford. Where shaving is great is that you can get a great shave at any budget level. I like the modern razors better than I do the vintage offerings. Some guys are just the opposite and some are in the middle. The cool thing is that none of us are wrong. Use what makes you happy and enjoy this journey.

I have often wondered (because my most expensive razor purchase was $45) whether people who buy a $200+ razor maintain the level of excitement for it past the first week of receiving it. Does the expensive razor remain impressive once it melds into the collection alongside vintage Gillettes? Or does it become "just another razor" once it passes through the rotation a few times?

I have often wondered (because my most expensive razor purchase was $45) whether people who buy a $200+ razor maintain the level of excitement for it past the first week of receiving it. Does the expensive razor remain impressive once it melds into the collection alongside vintage Gillettes? Or does it become "just another razor" once it passes through the rotation a few times?

Excellent question. For me, the answer is yes. It's like budget cars vs premium cars ... both do the same thing, but the premium car is a different experience. (Notice I didn't say "better".) :)

Speaking for myself, I have both an ATT and a Timeless and the excitement has not faded. I love the look and feel and the craftsmanship that these razors have. I'm always excited to shave with them. I have finally refined the technique for each so they still provide an impressive shave.

Top Bottom