What's new

Opinion of the Brain Trust

Seems there may be some different ideas about this.
Question is:
Can a razor (proper bevel and all) jump from one finishing stone to another and basically have the same edge the last stone will create?
Example:
Set bevel on King 1K. Create edge on coticule.
Next week finish again on Naniwa SS 12K. Few days later, repeat on Black Arkansas. Following week go to a coticule again. Etc...
I have heard a few opinions on this practice. I think a few more is a good idea.

Lately I had been taking things up to a thuri. Just took what was a coticule finish working fine and worked on a thuri. As I understand that's a step up. I'm finding I prefer coticle so I took existing thuri edge and ran on the coticule. I'm gonna call it a super coticule edge. I will bebwatching for opinions. I do recall the idea is to take it back a little then run progression but I'm always experimenting. I take the opinions as a guide not the law. Good luck.

I'm not exactly sure what the OP's question is actually asking, but yes I think you can finish a razor on an initial hone then later hit a second hone and the edge can still contain some characteristics from the first. It all depends on how far you go with the honing. A few strokes will certainly leave some remnants of the previous finish. Spending a large amount of time on the subsequent hone however may erase those characteristics.

Last edited:
Synthetic to whatever the edge hits last is my thinking. Now how many microns does a pasted strop remove? Not much. And my guess is the finish stage would remove more. But yet the pasted strop feeling is impossible to miss for me anyway.

if i understand the question, there will be a time when the apex will no longer be a part of the polishing equation and you will need to recreate the apex otherwise you are just polishing the sides and not the edge.

I think this is a complicated question to answer but here's my thoughts.
If the apex of the bevel is properly set and the edge has been correctly refined to a pre-finish level, absent of remnant deeper scratches and distractions etc. then a finisher is properly used and the edge tested we get a result, hopefully an outstanding one!
If the test shave did no noticeable damage we might then re-finish that edge with a different finisher and we (might) get that different finishers edge.
But.... will the edge hold up to the re-finish honing and deliver that finishers best edge?
I have seen (under the scope) some edges that fail this re-honing creating distractions in the edge that degrades the shave quality during the subsequent shave test. This might lead to erroneous results and evaluation of said finisher.
At some levels of refinement some steel just can't seem to take it and the edge starts to degrade under the stress of this exercise.
Or the subsequent finisher doesn't follow the first finisher well on that particular razor steel. Lots of variables IMHO.

Seems there may be some different ideas about this.
Question is:
Can a razor (proper bevel and all) jump from one finishing stone to another and basically have the same edge the last stone will create?
Example:
Set bevel on King 1K. Create edge on coticule.
Next week finish again on Naniwa SS 12K. Few days later, repeat on Black Arkansas. Following week go to a coticule again. Etc...
I have heard a few opinions on this practice. I think a few more is a good idea.

Perhaps, If the razor is an exceptional one that works on any medium for honing.
Few razors meet this criteria.

But.... will the edge hold up to the re-finish honing and deliver that finishers best edge?
I have seen (under the scope) some edges that fail this re-honing creating distractions in the edge that degrades the shave quality during the subsequent shave test. This might lead to erroneous results and evaluation of said finisher.
At some levels of refinement some steel just can't seem to take it and the edge starts to degrade under the stress of this exercise.
Or the subsequent finisher doesn't follow the first finisher well on that particular razor steel. Lots of variables

These are all things to consider

Top Bottom