What's new

Critter Pics.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 917229Some great pics in this thread. This isn’t one of them. A pair of well antlered bucks at Milwaukee’s Estabrook Park last weekend.

A bit out of focus, but I can make out the antlers. Looks like a couple of nice bucks.

I've never seen a black widow, or brown recluse other than pics or video and I usually do look at spiders and webs just to check. They're supposed to live around here, but not in large numbers. If I saw one I would take some pics if I had my camera, but I don't think I could let *** live too close to my house.

Black Widows were common where I grew up in N.E. Oklahoma, and they are around here a lot. Just be careful when you pick up things out in a shed or something...look first. I only saw one brown recluse when I was a kid...that's why the call them recluse, and they are here too. Never been bitten by either one though...yet. But the hospital is only 30 minutes away. I see more snakes, cottonmouths and copperheads, than I do the nasty biting spiders.

A common egret. He had caught a fish but dropped it about three seconds before I took the pic...nammit. He's about 30 yards from my front porch.

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0023 (2).JPG

Great Pics! I really like that last one,it's framed up really well, you really nailed it on that one! :clap:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great Pics! I really like that last one,it's framed up really well, you really nailed it on that one! :clap:

Burst mode, and shutter speed as fast as it will go, works wonders on moving things don't it? :biggrin1:

Burst mode, and shutter speed as fast as it will go, works wonders on moving things don't it? :biggrin1:
Yes, it does. That's another advantage of no film or development cost on the throwaways. You still have to have a plan though. The camera itself just records light, the photographer is the one who composes and takes the shot.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yes, it does. That's another advantage of no film or development cost on the throwaways. You still have to have a plan though. The camera itself just records light, the photographer is the one who composes and takes the shot.

Nice pics @simon1, especially the last one!

Thanks guys. I was just lucky he flew the way he did and I caught that one in the series of bursts.

Here's the one straight out of the camera without any adjusting in the toy editing program on Windows Photos. I think the B&W one looks better.

DSC_0023.JPG

Black Widows were common where I grew up in N.E. Oklahoma, and they are around here a lot. Just be careful when you pick up things out in a shed or something...look first. I only saw one brown recluse when I was a kid...that's why the call them recluse, and they are here too. Never been bitten by either one though...yet. But the hospital is only 30 minutes away. I see more snakes, cottonmouths and copperheads, than I do the nasty biting spiders.

In theory, we have both black widows and brown recluses here in the DC area, and we're in eastern rattler country. Thankfully, between the neighbor dogs and our outdoor cats, the worst we usually get is a garter snake or two, which the cats love to leave behind the wheels of one of the cars as a present.

We had a black widow show up and make a web (if you can call it that) in our kitchen window last year. I wasn't too concerned until I saw it make an egg sack. That's when I decided that a nice healthy dose of poison was warranted, followed by physical removal. One well behaved widow is tolerable, but she doesn't get to move her family in.

Now we always give our shoes a little shake before we put them on, as much for the spiders as for the fact that we'll find toys secreted in there by the toddler.

Out walking on the trail the other way and came across this little fellow. He was booking right along on his way somewhere. Yes, those are grains of sand.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Out walking on the trail the other way and came across this little fellow. He was booking right along on his way somewhere. Yes, those are grains of sand.

proxy.php

Ohhh...nice! I haven't seen one of those in years. Not to mention the horny toads I used to treat as pets that lived under the bushes in the backyard when I was a kid.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh My!

Wonderful pics...where were they taken?

Last year on our annual canoe trip we had this lovely lady live on our site for 4 days.
1st photo she walked right through the site while we were sitting looking at photos of her from earlier.

proxy.php

This is another day while she walked along the shore.

proxy.php

It was a very memorable trip.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Last year on our annual canoe trip we had this lovely lady live on our site for 4 days.
1st photo she walked right through the site while we were sitting looking at photos of her from earlier.

proxy.php

This is another day while she walked along the shore.

proxy.php

It was a very memorable trip.

Oh those mooses are big!

On a smaller note...meet Dilly. I'm getting him ready for the armadillo races next spring. He's coming along nicely.

DSC_0012 (3).JPG

Top Bottom