What's new

Jnat finish on water or slurry?

I know stones are different but what finishing routine do you usually go for? Slurry? Misty slurry? Plain water?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

On mine i am starting to think that a decent slurry might be best. I used to finish on a very very thin slurry and I think I was gaining sharpness at the cost of smoothness.

Just honed up a razor using a heavy coticule slurry for bevel work followed by bbw with slurry and a coticule with light slurry to plain water and then some glycerin. After that I raised a tomo slurry on the jnat. Edge seems very nice. Will shave with it later today.

In the relm of Jnats, some will finish well on water some not. The really hard stones take a delicate touch to avoid scratches and botching the edge. I most always prefer a tomo finish to a clear water finish. There is no one way thats “better” than another.

In the relm of Jnats, some will finish well on water some not. The really hard stones take a delicate touch to avoid scratches and botching the edge. I most always prefer a tomo finish to a clear water finish. There is no one way thats “better” than another.
Do you stop on a thick slurry or very light one?

The answer to your initial question is "yes." I use all of the above - it's very stone dependent. Mostly don't use straight water at all unless it's for very few strokes or the stone is quite soft - in which case you're really not getting straight water strokes anyway because soft stones will release their own particles.

Once the bevel is set, aren't any subsequent uses of stones meant to support that bevel? Perhaps I am miss reading, but it seems folks are constantly using finishing stones.

I just got my first stone, a Thuringian, and want to understand when a finishing stone is appropriate for an already set bevel.

Do you stop on a thick slurry or very light one?

Too thick can take you backwards. Usually I run a couple different tomos if I have the time. The key is to FULLY break them down before moving forward. Dont rush thru, but at the same time dont do a million laps thinking its automatically better. If it still needs work refresh the slurry, if not move ahead. If the combination of naguras and tomo(s) is good, and you work them to max, the abrasivness for lack of a better term will somewhat overlap. Meaning for example when you max botan, the state of refinement will go backwards slightly when starting tenjou, so on and so forth. So, on my final tomo I like to be sure its fully broken down. Rarely will i dilute it. If I do its only after its exhausted. Which entails rinsing the blade until its where i like.

Too thick can take you backwards. Usually I run a couple different tomos if I have the time. The key is to FULLY break them down before moving forward. Dont rush thru, but at the same time dont do a million laps thinking its automatically better. If it still needs work refresh the slurry, if not move ahead. If the combination of naguras and tomo(s) is good, and you work them to max, the abrasivness for lack of a better term will somewhat overlap. Meaning for example when you max botan, the state of refinement will go backwards slightly when starting tenjou, so on and so forth. So, on my final tomo I like to be sure its fully broken down. Rarely will i dilute it. If I do its only after its exhausted. Which entails rinsing the blade until its where i like.
Thanks! I also think I might be raising too thick of a slurry especially on a second or third one.

I just honed up a TI using slurry and a drop of glycerin..haven't shaved with it but my preliminary testing seem very promising.

Top Bottom