What's new

Winston Churchill had an EXCELLENT physician

Dt5UC4GVsAEHJ2j.jpg

Winnie must of been soused around the clock

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Must of had this doctors note for travelling to USA during Prohibition days. Being a politician for that era would almost drive any one bonkers, a drink needed to relax the food digestion. My wife's parents had a drink before every meal other than breakfast and lived into their 90's, maybe I should start having a rum before supper at least.

Prohibition work around, medical alcohol.
Yup, came across this Christies listing of assorted medical records from the same physician.

Must of had this doctors note for travelling to USA during Prohibition days. Being a politician for that era would almost drive any one bonkers, a drink needed to relax the food digestion. My wife's parents had a drink before every meal other than breakfast and lived into their 90's, maybe I should start having a rum before supper at least.
LOL, yes "a" drink would be therapeutic but the note is written for minimum of ~8.5 oz/meal. But I know what you mean about the older generation. Dad & most of his buddies/colleagues and even the ladies used to drink much more than today. For the guys would be two - three drinks with lunch (usually a martini or some other lowball), a drink or two when home from work (for Dad it was Bacardi 1873 & soda), another couple of those over dinner, on the weekends maybe an digestif (something sickly sweet like creme de menthe or galliano) and then finally a double rye at bed. Maybe there's something to be said about a perma-buzz

I just finished reading the biography of Winston Churchill by William Manchester. This note was mentioned in the book. When Winston visited NEw York city he was hit by a car; he crossed the street without looking in the correct direction and was hit. He was accustomed to cars driving on the opposite side of the road. A doctor gave him the note so he could get around prohibition. He also brought over several bottles of Johnny Walker Red in his suitcase and was worried about them being confiscated.

I just finished reading the biography of Winston Churchill by William Manchester.
Cool, I've been listening to the third volume "Defender of the Realm, 1940–1965" and its fascinating. In many superficial ways he was so deeply flawed but I do believe in his heart he was motivated less about ego and more about Queen & Country.

Kal:
BTW, did his Dr. address his cigar consumption (well known and said to be at least 10 per day)
proxy.php

proxy.php
"My rule of life [is] prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite [of] smoking cigars...". Sir Winston S. Churchill
I don't know. But I will have to talk to my GP about augmenting my normal regime with medicinal bourbon and therapeutic Cubans.

Winston Churchill was accused of being drunk by Bessie Braddock at a function back in the olden daze. "Winston, you are DRUNK!" He supposedly said in response "My dear, you are ugly... but tomorrow I shall be sober and you shall still be ugly."winston-churchills-Bessie.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Winston Churchill was accused of being drunk by Bessie Braddock at a function back in the olden daze. "Winston, you are DRUNK!" He supposedly said in response "My dear, you are ugly... but tomorrow I shall be sober and you shall still be ugly."View attachment 933939

Yes, I Am Drunk, But Tomorrow I Will Be Sober, And You Will Still Be a Fool – Quote Investigator

The story may or may not be fictional depending on whom one believes ... but it's still a good story!

Sadly, even my all-time favourite Churchill quote (about drinking the poison in the coffee) seems to be likely ... um ... enhanced from the truth.

“If I Were Your Wife I’d Put Poison in Your Tea!” “If I Were Your Husband I’d Drink It” – Quote Investigator

... I just hope he actually said that bit about fighting in the hills and never surrendering.

Top Bottom