What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Well just to keep you updated on the Dubl Duck Goldedge, its been stripped scales cleaned and polished.
The blade did have start of rust around the pivot hole that has been removed, blade has been polished and cleaned ready give it's gold wash back and that will be done tomoz. As tonight I'm out with the wife for a meal and a few beers, I might even have a boogie that's a dance.

Anyways on to the pics so far

20181202_210032.jpg

As you can see rust starting

20181207_163732.jpg
20181207_163751.jpg
20181207_163847.jpg
20181207_163910.jpg

Well just to keep you updated on the Dubl Duck Goldedge, its been stripped scales cleaned and polished.
The blade did have start of rust around the pivot hole that has been removed, blade has been polished and cleaned ready give it's gold wash back and that will be done tomoz. As tonight I'm out with the wife for a meal and a few beers, I might even have a boogie that's a dance.

Anyways on to the pics so far

View attachment 933363
As you can see rust starting

View attachment 933364 View attachment 933366 View attachment 933367 View attachment 933368
hate waiting.gif

Well here she is sporting a good clean and polish, and a new gold wash plus painted lettering. Now do I do the ducks on the shank red or leave blue, but take into account the stamping is not that deep on this razor....

But here is the pictures so far

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Well here she is sporting a good clean and polish, and a new gold wash plus painted lettering. Now do I do the ducks on the shank red or leave blue, but take into account the stamping is not that deep on this razor....

View attachment 933629 View attachment 933630 View attachment 933631 View attachment 933632 View attachment 933633 View attachment 933634 View attachment 933635 View attachment 933636 View attachment 933637

Ian, you have outdone yourself again! Brilliant work my friend, you are getting really great at this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 933629 View attachment 933630 View attachment 933631 View attachment 933632 View attachment 933633 View attachment 933634 View attachment 933635 View attachment 933636 View attachment 933637
Phenomenal work! It looks fantastic!

First attempt at making a razor. 1084 steel. Will be 5/8 ish. French point or maybe square. Cut out, profiled, drilled, and laid out the grind plan. Planning for as hollow as I can get it.
upload_2018-12-10_21-0-59.jpeg

made some progress.
grinding pretty much done. harbor freight 1x30 belt grinder:
proxy.php

heat treat in a coffee can forge with a propane torch as the heat source:
proxy.php

heat til non-magnetic then heat a bit more, the quench in canola oil:

proxy.php

a file skates off of it, so plenty hard. now to start tempering

@Chaloney
This is very nice to see! So it doesn't take a huge tool shop to do a straight razor yourself ;)

Please keep us posted!
@Chaloney
This is very nice to see! So it doesn't take a huge tool shop to do a straight razor yourself ;)

Please keep us posted!
it does not seem to so far, and, as long as the blade doesnt crack (its much thinner than the knife i made), i have done everything that is left (cleaning up the razor, polishing, scales, honing). i am sure with more experience and a better grinder the results will get better and better but i am happy with how it is going so far.

tempering is underway. using a toaster oven. razor is in back. in front is a marking knife i had made but had not tempered yet.
proxy.php

Well just starting my next one C & W Higginbotham Sheffield razor, now this one is a huge learning curve for me but this is what it looks like at the moment.....

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg

As you can see why now lol....

Top Bottom