What's new

Wilkinson Sword Classic

Hey all!

I’ve saw that Wilkinson Sword released an new metal classic razor. Sadly, I think it is only available in Europe and I’m in the U.S. I’ve looked online and couldn’t find anywhere to buy it. Anyone know where you can purchase it from? I know they have it at Tesco in the UK

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all!

I’ve saw that Wilkinson Sword released an new metal classic razor. Sadly, I think it is only available in Europe and I’m in the U.S. I’ve looked online and couldn’t find anywhere to buy it. Anyone know where you can purchase it from? I know they have it at Tesco in the UK

Thanks

According to Ken Surfs on YouTube, they will not sell it in the US...period. He emailed their customer service and they shut down the possibility. No way to get one online as of now. Amazon UK won't sell it. Your best bet is to get someone to buy one overseas and ship it to you. There are also some talk of it not being extremely common in the UK either.

I think they're just dipping their toe in the water to see how popular it will be. Hopefully it'll become more widely available next year.

According to Ken Surfs on YouTube, they will not sell it in the US...period. He emailed their customer service and they shut down the possibility. No way to get one online as of now. Amazon UK won't sell it. Your best bet is to get someone to buy one overseas and ship it to you. There are also some talk of it not being extremely common in the UK either.

I think they're just dipping their toe in the water to see how popular it will be. Hopefully it'll become more widely available next year.

Ok thanks man I appreciate the reply. I watched his video on it but I must’ve left the video before he got to that. I was watch PaulHFilms and I just have to have that razor because i love the plastic one so much. I know that there are some companies that you can pay to be the middle man and ship it to you so I might do that. If anyone sees this and wants to help a brother out I would appreciate it!!!

Ok thanks man I appreciate the reply. I watched his video on it but I must’ve left the video before he got to that. I was watch PaulHFilms and I just have to have that razor because i love the plastic one so much. I know that there are some companies that you can pay to be the middle man and ship it to you so I might do that. If anyone sees this and wants to help a brother out I would appreciate it!!!

No problem. Get them to send you some UK Hai Karate aftershave while you're at it. Can't order that either. I tore my hair out trying to get that one!

Just looked and I think they may have discontinued it :(
proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I did a bit a googling here in Australia and I think that we are missing out as well. I would not mind getting one at some stage.

I'll be in London in May, with a Tesco right around the corner. Hope they're still available then. It looks like a nice razor from the picture, and I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Greg

Looks like they did a nice job, I like the handle. Weishi makes some good razors. My VDH branded one does a pretty good job. Bought as my second DE razor after my EJ to try a tto before eventually moving on to vintage. I could get BBS, but it took 4 passes and cleanup. This was before I started reading reviews on any forums about DE.

Never tried my current go to blade, Kai as the VDH has sat for years. I might get it down to 3 passes now with better technique and my Kai blades.

Yep, I was happy saving money with only my EJ and VDH Weishi until I started reading the various forums. The forums did me in, B & B in particular.

Anyway, if people want to grab one living in countries where the WS can’t be had, you always have Aliexpress. Of course, I prefer the WS on the silo, but it’s the same razor.

Can’t believe they just put a Wilkinson sword logo on a weishi oh well. At least now my curiosity is no more! Might buy the one on alibaba though!

I don’t think it is the same as the weishi actually. Look at the tighter for the head at the bottom of the post. It is different than the Wilkinson sword

I don’t think it is the same as the weishi actually. Look at the tighter for the head at the bottom of the post. It is different than the Wilkinson sword

The razor in the box picture is not the razor that is actually in the box. You can see the current WS branded razor in a few videos. It is the same razor.

This is not the first time they released something like this, the other release was around 2008 or 2009 I believe. I think that one was Weishi also but can’t be sure. The box picture I believe was maybe a prototype or the 2008 release. All the pictures of them can be seen via user posts on B & B. Just do a thread search.

I love his videos. You can see that he also has the box displayed in his review and the actual razor is different than what is in the picture. It’s Weishi.

It's not that I have a problem with the construction of the Weishi. They're copper/brass. The finishes are beautiful and they have a variety of colors. But why do they have to be so frickin mild? The blade exposure is minuscule. The gap is almost nonexistent. They make a Gillette tech look like a Muhle R41. I battled with my Weishi for more than a year before going back to disposables for way too long. I just couldn't get a decent shave. Wound up over shaving every time using it and those ridiculous van der Hagen and Dorco blades it came with. The irritation was awful.

Weishis actually turned me away from DE shaving until I figured out I should try something else. Hopefully that WS razor is a bit different than the one I had. For me, weishi was a terrible razor.

The VDH blades were very terrible for me also. I can’t remember the blades I got with my EJ but they were bad also. Luckily, I tried Rite Aid blades and later learned the RA ones were made in Israel. I eventually went to Feather and have been alternating between Kai, Gillette Yellows and Lab Blues for years depending on the razor.

I guarantee you we lost a lot of potential brothers over those blades. For some strange reason, VDH blades are the only ones I see retail anymore besides at Rite Aid and Walgreens. Sometimes I think it is done on purpose to kill the DE surge. At least Giant Food sells the Brazil Platinum Plus, they’re not cheap but they won’t cause people to run back to carts.

The VDH blades were very terrible for me also. I can’t remember the blades I got with my EJ but they were bad also. Luckily, I tried Rite Aid blades and later learned the RA ones were made in Israel. I eventually went to Feather and have been alternating between Kai, Gillette Yellows and Lab Blues for years depending on the razor.

I guarantee you we lost a lot of potential brothers over those blades. For some strange reason, VDH blades are the only ones I see retail anymore besides at Rite Aid and Walgreens. Sometimes I think it is done on purpose to kill the DE surge. At least Giant Food sells the Brazil Platinum Plus, they’re not cheap but they won’t cause people to run back to carts.
I read that the VDH blades were actually Merkur. They may have had good intentions because Merkur is a respected name. They probably also think that mild x10 is the way to start DE shaving. They're wrong for a huge number of people. Merkur can't make a good blade to save their skins. Gillette had it right with the flair tip. That's the razor to start with. At least WS comes with their brand of blades. Infinitely better.

I picked this up from Amazon and it arrived last week. First shave with one of the supplied blades was ok. I used a Feather for the next two and actually was able to get a very good shave both times.

It's not that I have a problem with the construction of the Weishi. They're copper/brass. The finishes are beautiful and they have a variety of colors. But why do they have to be so frickin mild? The blade exposure is minuscule. The gap is almost nonexistent. They make a Gillette tech look like a Muhle R41. I battled with my Weishi for more than a year before going back to disposables for way too long. I just couldn't get a decent shave. Wound up over shaving every time using it and those ridiculous van der Hagen and Dorco blades it came with. The irritation was awful.

Weishis actually turned me away from DE shaving until I figured out I should try something else. Hopefully that WS razor is a bit different than the one I had. For me, weishi was a terrible razor.

I have the Weishi too. And i had a similar experience. I don't find it terrible, but i don't use it anymore, because like you say, i get irritation, that i don't get with DE89 or Baili BD176. And the irritation comes either from the head geometry that doesn't bend the blade enough or from the excessive mildness or both. I tried so hard to like the Weishi, that i started keeping record of the blades that i could use with it without any irritation. But soon, i stopped, after realizing that only few blades fell in that category, while with the 2 other razors, any blade would work. So now i use the Weishi for say 2 weeks a year, just for the sake of using it.

It is also odd, but i have had more cuts with the Weishi than with the 2 other razors combined.

Last edited:
I have the Weishi too. And i had a similar experience. I don't find it terrible, but i don't use it anymore, because like you say, i get irritation, that i don't get with DE89 or Baili BD176. And the irritation comes either from the head geometry that doesn't bend the blade enough or from the excessive mildness or both. I tried so hard to like the Weishi, that i started keeping record of the blades that i could use with it without any irritation. But soon, i stopped, after realizing that only few blades fell in that category, while with the 2 other razors, any blade would work. So now i use the Weishi for say 2 weeks a year, just for the sake of using it.

I think a razor that is too mild is about the same as one that is too aggressive. If you're constantly having to rake it over your face to remove the hair, you're putting too much stress on your skin. If you use a Feather but only expose a few microns of the edge, a Derby in a Gillette Tech is going to do a better job. I mean, who is the Weishi designed for, exactly? It must be for very young men whose hair has not yet coarsened; peach fuzz, in other words. Either that or there was no thought put into it at all for the shaving needs of mature men. And that's their target market most likely to buy a safety razor. Knuckleheads!

Top Bottom