What's new

Saponificio Varesino 'Felce" 4.3 LE Shave Soap Review

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I bought this soap last August and it pretty much immediately became one of my all time favorite shave soaps...

Caveat: I am not a professional reviewer. Skin types differ, scent preferences differ, shave hardware differs, water hardness differs. Take what follows with a big grain of salt, as usual YMMV...

Hardware: Gillette Slim Adjustable razor, Feather blade, Mach3 cart., B&B Essential boar brush

Price: $42.00 5.3oz/150g

Ingredients: Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Rapeseedate, Sodium Sunflower Seedate, Aqua/Water/Eau, Coco Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Erythritol, Ricinus Communis Oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Copernica Cerifera Cera, Cera Alba, Fraxinus Ornus (Manna Ash) Sap Extract, Dryopteris filix-mas Root Extract, Galactoarabinan, Shorea Stenoptera Seed Butter, Parfum/Fragrance, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Sucrose Cocoate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Xanthan Gum, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Citronellol, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool.

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 1.13.26 PM.png

The LE soaps are packaged very nicely in laser engraved aluminum tins...

Scent: SV's description; The Aromatic Fern fragrance blends with the aromas of natural additives, creating a fresh and intense note.

I get; bright, green, fougere. Very refreshing and a bit sharp. Not earthy, but not sweet or cloying either. Scent longevity on the skin is fleeting, about 30 minutes. They do offer a AS lotion which I have not tried.

Lathering: This is an extremely easy soap to lather and it has a very wide 'water to soap ratio' range. I can make it thick, thin, anywhere in between to suit my preference, and the lather holds up, no matter what. This is a triple milled soap so is fairly hard, but not so hard as say Volobra soap. I experimented a bit with 'blooming' but I've not realized any benefit of doing so, so I now never bloom it. The picture above was taken today, and like I mentioned earlier, I've owned this soap for about 7 months and I estimate I have 30 or so shaves (conservatively) so far and the puck is about 80% full still. This includes scraping a bit off to send a sample to another B&B member...

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 4.05.40 PM.png
about 123g after 30 or so shaves and scraping a sample from the puck... (OK, deduct a gram to account for the stray badger hairs)

The shave: Felce's lather is very nice, rich, slick, and comforting. Face feel is outstanding. Both glide and slickness are in my top tier. I can still feel the lubrication and slickness even after a quick rinse and running my hand across my face. As a result, I found touch ups over the same spot in the same pass are easy and comfortable. ATG passes on my neck are no problem (this is the torture test for me) and again, in top tier category for me. Closeness of shave is outstanding given the protection, consistently providing a no effort BBS. Soap residue rinses clean. I found no issues with razor clogging, even with my Mach3.

Immediate post shave: Excellent, one of the few soaps that I feel does not necessitate a post shave product.

LT post shave: Again excellent. Face feel & comfort over the long term never gets dry or tight. Really nice LT post shave comfort. outstanding job!

Summary: So, as you can tell, I really like SV Felce 4.3. So much so, that since this first purchase, I've also purchased Manna 4.3 and their Flying Mango/Asylum Shave Works collaboration. That says a lot for me, It is rare that I enjoy a shave soap so much that I buy more before finishing the old... One member in another thread commented that SV 4.3 would be a great 'beginners' soap, and I couldn't agree more. I can hardly find any faults with SV 4.3 and given its ease of use, it would be a great entry into the world of non canned goop. However, the performance bar will be set pretty high right off the bat.

Another B&B'er is sending me a sample of SV's latest Optunia 4.3, and scent permitting, I may find a fourth SV tin gracing my den...

Last edited:
:em1500: I hate reading these high praise reviews for SV's Beta 4.3 soaps. Makes me want to break my 2018 Sabbatical.
:em2100: Oh, wait a minute ... I just remembered, I already have this one sitting in a drawer. I was going to wait until I used up my original puck but it's looking like that might never happen. These darn triple milled soaps last so long. Looks like a Felce Aromatica Beta 4.3 it going to be on deck tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the write-up.

I was the lucky recipient of a generous sample from the very puck pictured above along with samples of a few other top-tiered soaps from shavefan. I lathered a small piece of the sample for the first time yesterday and the sheer quality of the lather was just impressive. Thick, creamy, protective and stable all along a three-pass shave.

Trying those samples from high-end brands taught me something very valuable I wished I had known at the beginning of my wet-shaving venture. If a soap like SV beta 4.3 forumla (or soaps in the category of Wholly Kaw, Grooming Dept, Declaration Grooming, MdC for that matter) keeps getting mentioned and praised over and over again, there is a good reason for it. At the beginning, I wasted money on very average performing soaps and creams that often turned my face red and irritated for days after a shave. Now that I know and use high quality soaps like SV, I'm getting much more comfortable and enjoyable shaves. Thank you again @shavefan !

I have the 4.1 version of this soap and today Fendrihan is shipping the 4.3 version. I love the scent and 4.1 is in my top 3 soaps and 4.2 is slightly better. If the 4.3 is even better I might be moving Valobra out of my top spot, and I never thought I'd see that day.

A note about the naming convention, I was thinking that Beta is not what most of us seem to think because we are used to hearing about Beta being a test phase. I think Beta here simply means that they had an original formula and then moved to a new base formula, which would probably have been Beta 1.0. Since then they've done improvements on it but kept the base pretty similar. At least that's my feeling now, but if anyone has any more information on the naming convention I'd be interested in it. I guess I could just write the company but I'm not that motivated lol.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Saponificio Varesino Beta 4.3 is Italian quality at its very best. And one of the greatest performing soaps of all time. As I like to say it's the "King of Soaps and the Soap of Kings".

Great review. I’m a recent covert to SV...and I have five of their soaps on my counter currently. I’ve been blown away by SV, thanks for taking the time on this.

Saponificio Varesino Beta 4.3 is Italian quality at its very best. And one of the greatest performing soaps of all time. As I like to say it's the "King of Soaps and the Soap of Kings".
That's what the have been saying in Italy about Barolo wine... wine of kings, king of wines... bu I digress...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
That's what the have been saying in Italy about Barolo wine... wine of kings, king of wines... bu I digress...

Well, the Barolo has a lot of fans and is unquestionably a very, very high quality red wine. However, I'm personally putting the label of "King" on the Brunello di Montalcino. :a54:

Nice review-- if I recall correctly, however, SV recommends blooming their soap. I used SV Opuntia today for my shave and it was very nice indeed.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nice review-- if I recall correctly, however, SV recommends blooming their soap. I used SV Opuntia today for my shave and it was very nice indeed.

They do. For me blooming didn't result in any difference in lather or shave quality. So taking the lazy way out, I don't bloom and haven't since I did this review in April. As the popular saying goes though, YMMV.

I have 5 SV soaps and don't notice any difference in the beta versions, they all lather up wonderfully.

My favorite SV and perhaps my favorite soap ever is the black puck dolomiti. The scent is subtle but intoxicating!!

Tundra would be my next favorite. Manna and felce are great and the Stella is at my parent's place so I have yet to use that one.

Thank you for your review. There's something about the quality of lather that is above other soaps. I live in UK, and have seen a vendor selling Dolomiti for £15, a real bargain.

Thank you for your review. There's something about the quality of lather that is above other soaps. I live in UK, and have seen a vendor selling Dolomiti for £15, a real bargain.

I'm in the UK and when I periodically look round the online suppliers they're often out of stock of SV. These soaps come and go - £15 may have been a Black Friday offer, as they're generally over £20 with shipping. £15 would be a buy-it-now price for any SV soap. The only one I sold off was Mirto di Sardegna - the scent was very nice but so faint it didn't really register with me. I like my scent strength to be medium at least. Felce and Dolomiti I'd class as mild to medium, certainly stronger than Mirto.

Top Bottom