Is Moka Pot Coffee Espresso

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That makes sense. I bought a 6 Cup Moka Pot and I now understand why people vote no. However, it does make a delicious cup. Probably the closest you can get to espresso at home without a large upfront investment.

Now, if you're interested in sugary crema from that same pot, to equal great espresos ... I can pass on as I was taught by little old Cuban ladies.

1. Put 3 spoons of sugar in a little metal cup with a handle.

2. As soon as the first dribs of coffee come out, pour a tiny bit into the sugar pot.

3. Mash that brown sugar into a paste. KLINK-KLINK-KLINK-KLINK goes the spoon ... the sugar paste will have a consistency like toothpaste. This take practice, knowing the ratios.

4. Pour the now-full Moka pot into the metal cup. Stir. Sugary froth on top awaits the lucky!

AA

Have tried this process twice now and failed both times to produce anything resembling a crema.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Have tried this process twice now and failed both times to produce anything resembling a crema.

From my post #21!? Noo ... there IS a trick to it, but can assure you ... I can make a video but it won't be for a while.

EDIT: finding resources ... this describes same method ... "Espumita" is actually what the crema is called.

Have a Havana Style With a Café Cubano | Foodal

THIS:

How to Make Cuban Coffee - Cafe Cubano Recipe | MokaBees

Finally, with photos:

How to Make Cuban Coffee

AA

Last edited:
I love my Italian stovetop coffee makers. I had an Italian acquaintance over yesterday and proudly wanted to show him how I made espresso coffee. He told me that it wasn't exactly espresso, that it was called "mocha" in Italian (although not the chocolate American variety). I showed him the espresso grind I was using, and he said that, yes, it was fine to use an espresso grind to make mocha.

So I have learned something. With the moka/mocah stovetop maker, the strength and taste of the coffee is to my liking. My takeaway from the discussion here is that that's because it's weaker. When I order an espresso in an American cafe it always seems too strong and bitter for me, so I order a macchiato instead. But when I've ordered a café express in France or an espresso in Italy, it hasn't been quite so strong or bitter.

Yes! There is an art to it... I am proud to say that I can make cafe cubano con espumita better than most people's Aunt Esperanza! It can be done.

AA
My problem is all the sugar immediately dissolves leaving no espumita. Am I not using enough sugar? I used about 4 kitchen spoons (totally scientific measurement) worth.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My problem is all the sugar immediately dissolves leaving no espumita. Am I not using enough sugar? I used about 4 kitchen spoons (totally scientific measurement) worth.
No ... 3-4 is about right.

Key is that you must use the first little bit of coffee; too much and it won't work. Too little and the paste is really thick.

Then, you have to whip the heck out of it for about a minute ... when it gets this perfect look - little thinner than toothpaste - you stir in the coffee and VOILA - sugary espumita on top. Wife and I "fight" over this.

It is an art - please persist! It's worth it. If Aunt Espe can do it, you can.

AA

SUCCESS!
20181206_181506.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator

KNEW it! a FINE espumita! KLINK-KLINK-KLINK; grind that sugary paste up!

Yes; it is a trick amongst the little old ladies ... the day is better with a sugary foam on your Cafe Cubano.

Don't know what espresso you're using ... we always went back and forth with Bustelo, Pilon and La Llave ... but recently I bought a bag of Bustelo Supreme - loved it - finished it and opened a bag of La Llave.

Wife and I looked at each other. I tossed the La Llave and bought the Bustelo Supreme again.

Problem is, we have like two more bricks of La Llave. Dang, but that stuff is bitter, by comparison.

Sure we'll give it away....

AA

That was made with Lavazza Espresso. It's in a black can. one thing i'm having an issue with when using that grind is the Moka Pot sputters and shoots coffee everywhere. I'm not sure if the heat is too high or too low.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'd like to try Lavazza ... It costs 2x what Bustelo does, but it IS Italian ...

The moka pot works smoothly with the cafes I mentioned.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was under the impression this type of grind was too fine. Is it best only for the Cuban style?

I have no idea, but I'm sure people here do!

Can only speak to what I've tried. Pilon, Bustelo and La Llave in the moka pots works … for South Floridians!

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There is a "moka" grind that is almost as fine as an espresso grind. I don't know how easy it is to find in stores, but it's available online through Amazon and other outlets. When I'm grinding my own for the moka pot, I just back off a click or two on my Hario.

Top Bottom