What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hello there! You have articulated very well your experiences with the Grande. Nicely done. I had very similar experiences and decided it was time to move on. Other razors worked as well and I could easily use them. And I know that some of my preferred razors are not the best for others' faces. What I am thankful for is that we are able to find and try to our heart's content, due to the magic of the internet.
Eric

- Karve Diem, M. BOSC

Thanks Eric,

Yes, the internet has made getting hold of new kit far easier than it ever was, and I'm getting more enjoyable shaves than I would if I had to rely purely on local shops.

Ohhhhhh, I'm not sure thats a wise choice Al lol.

Polsilvers are damn sharp. They may seem underwhelming in a milder razor, but the Grande may give it a lot more life than you're expecting.

If I want to shave directly ATG at well past 50 hours growth with a DE theres one razor and blade combination I'd reach for, a Polsilver in my Grande. I wouldnt even hesitate at 75+ hours growth.

What issues do you have past 50 hours growth, Mike? From my perspective there's no real difference, as the hair is no thicker, and I'm still only cutting it once. With longer growth, an open comb can sail through easier, whereas a closed comb might ride over, lifting the blade from the skin, but I don't find blade choice makes any more difference at three or four days, than it does after one.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ohhhhhh, I'm not sure thats a wise choice Al lol.

I just found a Polyfail blade...
:a51:

I'm not in the mood for a challenge today though, so I'm going to leave the face ripper in the bathroom with the Blue Diamond Titanium in, and reach for my Jagger with the next test blade. I just want a nice easy pain free shave today, and a chance to test my new homebrewed aftershave.

Eyes shut, reach into the bag, and the next test blade is...

Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
After struggling with the Grande for the last three shaves, today's shave with the Jagger was VERY pleasant indeed.

The Indian Wilkinson felt nice on its maiden voyage. I took my time, enjoyed the ease of the Jagger, and finished off with a splash of the homebrew. Closer than I got with the Grande, and no irritation of any kind. Very nice face feel from the aftershave too, but I don't think the scent is quite there yet. I'll tweak that a little this afternoon.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What issues do you have past 50 hours growth, Mike? From my perspective there's no real difference, as the hair is no thicker, and I'm still only cutting it once. With longer growth, an open comb can sail through easier, whereas a closed comb might ride over, lifting the blade from the skin, but I don't find blade choice makes any more difference at three or four days, than it does after one.

I wouldnt say I have any issues, but shaves at 40 hours and earlier are different than shaves at 48 hours or more.

Shaving at 40 hours, theres less stubble but its stiffer and more difficult to cut. Shaving at 50 hours, theres more and denser stubble, but its easier to cut. I have no idea why that difference is there but it is.

If I was shaving daily, a Polsilver in my Grande is too much blade. For shaves around the 30 hour mark, my blade choice in my Grande is Derby Extra. Derby Extra lacks the HP to go directly ATG at 48 hours or more. Polsilver does it easily.

You've already had more than one poor experience with a Polsilver blade, adding 2-3 times the blade exposure I doubt will be of any help but it might, assuming the right angle. Try and get the blade edge to the same angle as your SS. Even if that means pressing the cap into your skin to achieve it. Pressure on the cap, not the blade edge.

You and I Al shave very differently, but I think I'm grasping how you do it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Even if that means pressing the cap into your skin to achieve it. Pressure on the cap, not the blade edge.

I know that's how you do it, buddy. I did try it for about half a stroke with the Grande, just to understand your process, but that's really not a good option for me

You and I Al shave very differently, but I think I'm grasping how you do it.

Indeed. We've both discovered what works for us through trial and error, and ended up in two almost opposing perspectives, but we both get the results we're searching for. So we're both right :D

Back when I was first learning with the DE, with no one and nothing to learn from other than my own ingenuity, I tried cap heavy, comb heavy, face stretching, face scrunching, fast and slow, you name it. The featherlight gave me the best shave, sometimes coupled with "slow motion" passes in problem areas, which seemed to work better than face stretching. The Wilkinson Sword Classic is something that I can occasionally get a little heavy handed with, if I'm willing to trade a bit of extra closeness for a slightly increased risk of irritation (not normally needed, but it depends on how my skin is on the day. I can be a little "seasonal" in my methods). However the Grande felt instantly very wrong, particularly that high friction (on my skin) chromed cap.

Featherlight and shallow seems to give me the best result for the Fatip, but I have to slow right down as it can cut at both correct and incorrect angles, whereas my regular hacking tackle only cuts at the correct angle, so it's a lot harder to get it wrong. It's probably worth me trying the Polsilver before I pass the Grande on, even if it's only for a few strokes, just to see how it reacts with my beard with more exposure. It might be the coating that's not compatible with me, in which case it probably won't matter what razor it's in.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Indeed. We've both discovered what works for us through trial and error, and ended up in two almost opposing perspectives, but we both get the results we're searching for. So we're both right :D

Exactly. Just be glad I'm not shaving your face LOL.

Skin stretching and scrunching haha. I was thinking about that shaving a few minutes ago. I only shave with my right hand and one of the most awkward places for me too shave is just to the right of the corner of my chin shaving right to left. If I drop the BBS finish anywhere, it'll be in that 1/2" sq area.

Stretching and scrunching is done under my chin and right side of my mouth.

There is a lot more room for error with a Fatip OC than any other razor I've used. Well, thats not true, the R41 is worse because its not as predictable. The Fatip shaves like a race car on a slot track by comparison.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I was right. Again.

Today's shave:
Fatip Grunt with the Polyfail SI. Usual soap, brush, lather mix, and a splash of the homebrew aftershave to finish. Really nice shave, certainly the best with the Grunt, and the first decent shave with a Polyfail. Almost as nice as a Wilkinson blade in the Jagger.

Does this salvage either of them in my mind? No. What's the point of having a razor that only works well for me when I put sub-standard blades in. I know some folks have strong opposing views on these two items. Tough :D

They cancelled out each others adversities in terms of cutting ability and comfort, but to keep these would mean owning a razor I can't use with any other blades, and having to buy blades I can't use in any other razor.

I have however managed to conquer both challenges, so in that I can be happy.

With a court case due next week, Christmas on the approach, and very probably looking at relocation after the court case, I'm not going to offer up a PIF to move this on until things settle down here, and i'm certain I can follow it through in a timely fashion. However, I have got another razor, plus soap and blades I can chuck in too. That PIF will be happening though. There's more chance of Jim buying shares in Thater than me keeping this. Shame. It's a nice looking razor.

Another interesting observation, was that when I removed the SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium after three shaves and a day of rest, it was far more corroded than I would have expected from a four day blade. Whether than means anything, I'm not sure, but it was certainly a shock.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Forgot the pic

IMG_20181203_151549_edit.jpg

My explorations have led me to conclude that not everyone is going to reap the benefits of a super rigid design . I only do so against the grain on parts of my head and even there I find some non rigid designs (like the Wardonia) works pretty well. So it comes as no particular surprise to find not everyone falls for the Fatip (or Old Types).
Exactly. Just be glad I'm not shaving your face LOL.

Skin stretching and scrunching haha. I was thinking about that shaving a few minutes ago. I only shave with my right hand and one of the most awkward places for me too shave is just to the right of the corner of my chin shaving right to left. If I drop the BBS finish anywhere, it'll be in that 1/2" sq area.

Stretching and scrunching is done under my chin and right side of my mouth.

There is a lot more room for error with a Fatip OC than any other razor I've used. Well, thats not true, the R41 is worse because its not as predictable. The Fatip shaves like a race car on a slot track by comparison.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My explorations have led me to conclude that not everyone is going to reap the benefits of a super rigid design . I only do so against the grain on parts of my head and even there I find some non rigid designs (like the Wardonia) works pretty well. So it comes as no particular surprise to find not everyone falls for the Fatip (or Old Types).

I don't think the rigidity was a particular issue for me, more the exposure and highly variable cutting angle. My Merkur 985 is every bit as rigid, and gives me a lovely shave. However, it is a much milder razor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Fatip Grunt with the Polyfail SI. Usual soap, brush, lather mix, and a splash of the homebrew aftershave to finish. Really nice shave, certainly the best with the Grunt, and the first decent shave with a Polyfail. Almost as nice as a Wilkinson blade in the Jagger.

They cancelled out each others adversities in terms of cutting ability and comfort, but to keep these would mean owning a razor I can't use with any other blades, and having to buy blades I can't use in any other razor.

silver-linings-silver.jpg

You are somewhat a minimalist right? Now you're down to one razor and one blade. You're welcome. :)

Forgot the pic

img_20181203_151549_edit-jpg.932361

Thats a bit scary for a stainless blade. I guess theres a reason they're half the cost of Polsilvers.

No it doesnt. Especially the way Al shaves with his 'hover' type technique. A rigid blade would be of virtually no advantage to him. Blade sharpness and ease of cut however is paramount.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You are somewhat a minimalist right? Now you're down to one razor and one blade. You're welcome. :)

Yeah, the one that's most likely to do me damage. Cheers mate :lol:

Thats a bit scary for a stainless blade. I guess theres a reason they're half the cost of Polsilvers.

They're a lot cheaper than half price. I think Polsilvers are around £12/100 delivered. I got 200 SuperMax delivered for £6

They didn't do that in the Jagger though, so I'm not sure what happened there...? Poorly coated blade, more moisture trapped in the Grunt, I gave the coating more hammer this time somehow?

No idea!

That aside...

I didn't rescent the homebrew yesterday, as we had a bit of a family crisis that needed dealing with, and all the immediate family had to get involved. All sorted now though, so I'm back home, and have added a little more essential oil. It's a bit of an odd one, as the apple cider vinegar is still shining through, but thankfully doesn't stay around long. Skin feels great, but not an ideal scent, so I'll definitely be leaving that ingredient out of the next batch.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
At least the ride is comfy.
Unlike a Fatip :001_tt2:

Oh but it is...

The MMOC is more comfy though.

Let the razor suit the technique or let the technique suit the razor. Whichever way one does it is the right way.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They didn't do that in the Jagger though, so I'm not sure what happened there...? Poorly coated blade, more moisture trapped in the Grunt, I gave the coating more hammer this time somehow?

After I use mine, I loosen the handle considerably, rinse it under running hot water and stand it on its side to dry on a folded tissue. I make sure to leave it loose enough any water that might be trapped can drain and the tissue helps pull it out.

I still dont think they should rust like that though.

Oh but it is...

The MMOC is more comfy though.

Let the razor suit the technique or let the technique suit the razor. Whichever way one does it is the right way.

If we all liked the same razor, soap, brush, etc.
It would be really boring, and this site wouldn't be here either.
We would have nothing to talk about - probably have to go elswhere and talk about other things.

Hooray for variety! :a21:

Top Bottom