What's new

Corn cob pipes ?

I have built up a decent collection of 9 or 10 briar pipes in the few months I been smoking pipes. However, I have been holding off and getting a cob pipe. Is it worth getting a couple to keep around ? they seem to be pretty cheap as well.

Yes! As long as they are Missouri meerschaum. They smoke great and are inexpensive. Great for beat around pipes or trying new blends. You may even find you like certain blends better from a cob. They are a great addition to any pipe collection :thumbup:

Cobs are great, my preferred goto for aros. Only issue I have with them is the wood part of the stem drying out, resulting in a very loose (falls apart if I'm not real careful) fit of the plastic stem. I'll soak it in a shot glass of water for a bit, stays tight for a couple weeks again. The joys of living in single digit humidity, the guns and other metal items love it, everything else not so much.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Love my cobs. I smoke them as often as I smoke briar. Maybe more often.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't have many pipes, but cobs and a Missouri Meerschaum ozark cherrywood are my most used. My two briars hardly ever get used.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
EACarey has an eBay store. Best price I found online. I would suggest a Country Gentleman or Mark Twain. They have a hardwood plug, and nice size. The Marcus and Mizzou are smaller but nice pipes also.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’ll have to say cobs smoke as well as anything IME. Adding on a forever stem is a worthy investment.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
A nice add to your collection would be a cob by Jake Hackert........

+1 My Hackett cons are the best smoking ones I own, and cost about the same as a MM and forever stem.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Cobs are absolutely worth it, if you get Missouri Meerschaum (or a custom job, but even those are usually made with MM cobs). Stay away from the Chinese ones. They're cheaper, but you're only saving a few dollars, and losing a lot in the quality department.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sideways picture posting.... Great... [emoji1418]

No worries...it happens.

EVERYONE should have a cob...or two, or three...as long as they are MM cobs.

The two in the middle are their "seconds" but there is no difference in how they smoke.

Sorry for the off lighting on the mini cob...it's just as yellow as the others...it happens.

DSC_0002 (2).JPG

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yup, get some cobs. Even the most expensive custom cobs are cheaper than a moderately priced briar. Forever stems are well worth the investment to upgrade your cob smoking pleasure!

I love MM cobs, especially with a forever stem, a bit of Dremel work in the bowl to remove unnecessary shank and some pipe mud (using sieved pipe tobacco ash). I seem to prefer the 5th avenue Diplomat model with the hardwood plug and thicker walls.

That said, another attractive (to me) option are the Old Dominion Pipe cobs with the small reed/bamboo stems. A few years back when they launched, they were using indian corn which was very tiny in diameter which made for uber tight bowl diameters and some people reported burnouts. I have one and have not experienced any burnout issue (4+ years on), although the smallness of the chamber can make it difficult to pack/tamp. They have now switched to a different corn more akin to MM and have some larger bowled options. I really like the stems. Thought there might be an issue with it wanting to roll when clenched, but it feels as secure to me as any fishtail stem does.

My $0.02.

Love my cobs. I smoke them as often as I smoke briar. Maybe more often.

proxy.php

Those are some nice looking pipes! The one on the top right looks perfect for me, I have an hour drive to college every morning so I am always looking for a good clencher that doesn't block my line of sight.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Those are some nice looking pipes! The one on the top right looks perfect for me, I have an hour drive to college every morning so I am always looking for a good clencher that doesn't block my line of sight.

Send me your address and you can have it. It’s a 1955 Custom Grade (1004) Missouri Meerschaum.

proxy.php

Top Bottom