What's new

Semogue 830 Repurposed

I’ve got a Maddard 2-band in 26 mm due in today. I’ve also got an old Semogue 830 handle that I’ve always admired.

I tore out the metal cup and drilled it out to 26mm. Its beautiful, like a crystal glass. But I sure miss the red color.

Could I paint the inside with Testers enamel, then epoxy on top of that?

639B7D8E-41DA-424D-B789-917152A19516.jpeg

A6B2EC33-93D0-4AC0-BAC4-675A36C31F2E.jpeg

Seems like a good idea.

But I think the bottom of the knot would rest on bottom of the hole and show through the clear acryllic.

Maybe let a thin layer of colored epoxy first until hard, then set the knot.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have seen many a Vintage brush that has a paint color in the cup.
I have used Testors model paint in the past .

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like it as it is. But whatever you do please show us the finished brush.

Wow. That’s a big knot. Very dense, too.

I’ve only had up to a 24 mm before. I will have to widen it some more and re-polish. Even a bit extra, if I paint it.

I will post a pic this weekend of the final product.

Thanks for the advice.

1E621363-67B7-473F-B023-599AF24B52C8.jpeg

Done and lathered once. I am impressed with Maggard’s knot.

I used Testors enamel paint with a recommended 48 hours dry time. As I placed the knot in, I got some scratches in the paint. Usually, you would leave some fine surface texture for the paint to adhere to better. But with the transparent handle, I don't think it would look right. So, that is the trade off.

0E037EDA-0706-4A45-B5D9-775532AE7845.jpeg

0620F0A6-A79C-45A3-88E4-A423824464FE.jpeg

That did turn out nice.
I have a 620, and my favourite part about it is the handle. I'd definitely attempt a re-knot if/when the original fails. It already rotates in the handle, until it gets wet.
I tore out the metal cup and drilled it out to 26mm.
So, it's a cup and not just a ferrule or ring?

Beautiful brush. I have a clear handle and was thinking about paining the socket red and this clinched to. Thank you.

I remember quite awhile ago painting lexan. The technique I followed recommended roughing up the surface with brass wool (rather than steel wool so no errant fibers would rust, of course you would wash it anyway so I don't know if it matters).

After painting you could not detect any scratches at all, the paint fills in all the crevices. Might be worth a try on a piece of scrape first. I'm guessing you'd get better adhesion and still would look great on the outside.

Top Bottom