What's new

DIY Kamisori style DE safety razor

I've been fascinated by the Razorine since I first saw it; a DE safety razor head on a Kamisori type handle; a cross between a safety razor and a replaceable blade straight. I want to buy a Razorine, but don't know if I'd like it ...

... so I made my own. I took a 4" long piece of 3/8" copper tubing, hammered one end flat, and drilled a 3/16" hole in the flattened part. I added an ugly wing nut and it's done. It will only work with razors that don't have protruding alignment posts right now, so the oval-slot Tech was called in for it's maiden journey. I'm going to drill another hole for the alignment post to sit in so I can try more DE heads.

What an interesting shave. It feels like both a DE safety razor and a DE shavette, but feels more like a safety razor. The grip felt natural to me, but might feel awkward to someone not used to a straight.

I found I could shave with reckless abandon and not worry about cutting myself, and unlike a straight, I didn't need to worry about maintaining a shallow angle. I just used the same angle I would normally use with the oval-slot Tech.

The handle needs to be made thinner and/or needs knurling added. It definitely needs a ball-end or some other wider-than-the-shaft gizmo. I'm looking forward to exploring this some more.
15431260992370.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Personally something I don't think that I could use. Great effort though to make it from scratch.:a14::a14::a14:

Great stuff. Yours is better than Razorine because you can vary the angle for the head and you can change your head. Try dipping the handle in Plasti Dip.

Great stuff. Yours is better than Razorine because you can vary the angle for the head and you can change your head. Try dipping the handle in Plasti Dip.
This is just the prototype. The next version will have a skinny brass handle and a thinner hammered part. The hammered part on this one is too thick so this handle only works on razors with longer top cap studs.

Plasti-Dip is magical stuff BTW

Thanks. This little experiment of mine has shown me that you're right - I think I'll really like the Razorine. I am definitely going to buy one now.

wait for the gold and silver restocking at shavenation next week
I improved polishing and cap alignment

This shows how different we all are. I think that holding a DE is so much more comfortable than holding a straight. So I would never consider a Razorine style razor myself.

This shows how different we all are. I think that holding a DE is so much more comfortable than holding a straight. So I would never consider a Razorine style razor myself.
yep, it is a personal choice, anyway in terms of phisiological movements it is more natural on something straight than standard DE

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
yep, it is a personal choice, anyway in terms of phisiological movements it is more natural on something straight than standard DE

That's one of the reasons that a Razorine will be on my 2019 shopping list. The natural hand movement is to travel in an arc, which can affect the angle the razor is presented. While locking the wrist and shaving by moving the elbow can help maintain angles, I'm thinking that this razor will behave differently. Shaving with the wrist rather than the elbow probably won't change the angle so much with an inline handle, well in my mind anyway. I reserve the right to change my mind after trying it :D

I've got too many other things already lined up to do and try before "needing" one of these, but I suspect I'll be trying one of these out by Easter '19.

Today's shave with my homemade Razorine-like object used the iKon ShaveCraft #104 "Monster Tech" head - the most aggressive blade-forward DE razor I own. You would think it would work great as a shavette, but the truth is, it didn't. I can only shave with this razor in its original form at a very steep angle, and a steep angle shavette is unnatural. Why? Because I needed to apply pressure, which just feels wrong with a sideways handle. The shave itself was perfection, close, smooth and worry-free, but the user-experience was lacking for me.

wait for the gold and silver restocking at shavenation next week
I improved polishing and cap alignment
Thank you. How can I make sure I'm getting the improved razor? Will there be any differences in box printing or on the razor itself that I can tell the vendor to look for? Is Italian Barber also getting the updated version?

Top Bottom