What's new

Do we all need Baby Butt Smoothness?

Im kind of at that point now. I used to chase the baby but usually got weepers and irritation. Now, I skip the ATG pass and simply do 1 north to south pass and 2 south to north passes and call it a day. I dont quite get BBS but I do get a shave that is DFS and is about 90% BBS. Its not as if everyone is going to rub your face. As long as you cant see stubble, thats good enough for me. Besides, for most people BBS is gone in about 8 hours anyways.

I chase BBS on my face, but settle for less on my neck. My neck is sensitive, and is prone to cuts, so if I chase BBS there, I will get a lot of cuts and irritation.

I love a BBS smooth shave. It was not attainable at first, but as my technique improved (including my lathering) I could do 3 passes with a cleanup and get bbs even on my neck. I have "mid-aggressive" razors and I take my time and concentrate on very light pressure. I also had to make myself not go over the same area of my face without relathering.

The thing is that you should go for the quality of shave that YOU want!!

For me BBS is a reward that just happens when things go right!!

I don’t worry about chasing BBS. My facial hair is fairly coarse and it only lasts a few hours. I aim for DFS with no irritation. I typically do three passes: WTG, XTG, XTG. To go ATG, I need about 4 or so passes of XTG angling towards ATG or it’s rough and it’s highly likely I would get irritation.

One of the best things I did was not worry about BBS and just found something that works for me and gives me the shave I want. The three pass routine I do allows me to compare razors and shaves quite well.

I do WTG then XTG, then use the last bit of lather in the brush to touch up. Audible feedback is a big help.
Is bbs a modern idea as I doubt if our fathers even did not try for it. Just enjoy your shave .

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Interesting topic. I was actually thinking about it recently. I’ve been doing this long enough and used enough different razors that I can attain BBS with just about anything. I find that certain razors are more likely to cause ingrown hairs. For me it’s closely linked to how long the BBS lasts. If it’s too long, I’m likely to get an ingrown, usually on my jaw.

One of the reasons I’ve gravitated to the Gillette Red Tip is it gives me a comfortable BBS that lasts for a few hours. I can feel the stubble coming back by mid morning. But it’s still SAS throughout the day, and I rarely get an ingrown.

My Merkurs, on the other hand, deliver a wonderful long lasting BBS, but I’m always bracing the next day for the red bumps to appear. While there is something oddly satisfying about digging out an ingrown hair, it makes my face look like a mess for a few days. (I know I’m not supposed do it that way, but I can’t help myself)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Is bbs a modern idea as I doubt if our fathers even did not try for it. Just enjoy your shave .
I’ve always heard guys back in the day just did one pass and that was that. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there were still some perfectionists who went for BBS, though they didn’t call it that.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
BBS or nothing for me. I've changed razors mid shave because one wouldnt give me the BBS finish I wanted.

I used cartridge and electric shavers for over 20 years and never had a true BBS finish and always battled ingrown hairs on my neck. Since changing back to DE a year and a half ago I've had two.

If you want a BBS finish, they will come in their own time. Focus on technique and direction of shave while learning your beard map. I need to shave in certain directions in certain parts of the shave. That also changes with which razor I use.

This is my beard map.

beard-grain-map-1.jpg

To BBS the two swirl growth patterns on my neck with an R41 I need to shave in five different directions. Using my Fatip Grande or GEM MMOC SE, two directions.

Keep focusing on your beard mapping and with the right blade in a rigid design, shaving in the right direction, ingrowns may disappear completely.

@Johnnynroy had similar issues which, I believe, have cleared up completely.

Its normal for me to shave directly ATG at ~48 hours growth with my Fatip Grande and a Polsilver blade for a single pass buffing shave with one small cleanup over my swirls in the opposite direction for a 10-12 hour BBS. Using my MMOC thats normally a 14 hour BBS, but its been as high as 18 hours.

The thing is that you should go for the quality of shave that YOU want!!

For me BBS is a reward that just happens when things go right!!
+1 it seems when I chase it most times I get it but if I am in the moment and just cruising through the passes it just happens. First time I tried the 34 A’crat was like that, just enjoying the razor and admiring it and when I finished up there it was...BBS glory!

I find I am prone to getting ingrown whiskers in some areas if I shave too close. I'm one of those people that is pale as computer paper with dark stubble, so chasing BBS is pointless for me anyway.

I chase it until there's too much weeper ;)

Not much problem with bumps and ingrown hair in general, but I found a sharper blade and sensitive AS balm helps big time.

I tend to believe (erroneously or otherwise) that BBS should be linked to not actually seeing the hair. At the end of the day I can still see the areas where stubble is even though my hands are telling me that I am basically BBS. Either I'm getting a false BBS or I got the whole concept of BBS wrong, as when you get BBS the hair should be cut below the skin to the point you cannot see it, right? I'm probably going to go for broke and use Nair hair removal if my original assumption was wrong. (Yes, I'm probably aware that mentioning Nair use is probably heresy here)

Brother Warman,

I do. I require and achieve BBS smoothness, with no liabilities. A smooth, close and comfortable shave is one of the joys of life.

Experiment with different razors. Also consider not doing the ATG pass, but maybe do WTG, XTG, and XTG. Or some similar variation. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment.

Also try lathering, and then working the lather into the skin with your fingers for several minutes. Then re-lather and shave with a fresh quality blade. Using the original lather for a "preshave" has worked wonders for me.

I'm not a fan of disposable razors. I presume you've moved on to a "real razor?" Which injector razor are you using at present?

Last edited:
I tend to believe (erroneously or otherwise) that BBS should be linked to not actually seeing the hair. At the end of the day I can still see the areas where stubble is even though my hands are telling me that I am basically BBS. Either I'm getting a false BBS or I got the whole concept of BBS wrong, as when you get BBS the hair should be cut below the skin to the point you cannot see it, right? I'm probably going to go for broke and use Nair hair removal if my original assumption was wrong. (Yes, I'm probably aware that mentioning Nair use is probably heresy here)

Warman I think your idea of BBS might actually be an impossible task. I can’t speak for everyone here but i feel like the general consensus is that if you can run your hand in every direction and not feel stubble, it’s BBS. I’m like you in that even when i can’t feel any stubble at all, you can still see some on my face. It’s just skin/hair type. Trying to eliminate what’s below the surface would likely take some kind of chemical warfare my face wouldn’t survive.

It’s almost impossible for me to get the version of BBS that i laid out so when it does happen i’m very pleased. I think you’re already achieved the “holy grail” of shaving so i’d just enjoy it and give up the idea of trying to eliminate the sub-surface stubble.

Brother Warman,

I do. I require and achieve BBS smoothness, with no liabilities. A smooth, close and comfortable shave is one of the joys of life.

Experiment with different razors. Also consider not doing the ATG pass, but maybe do WTG, XTG, and XTG. Or some similar variation. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment.

Also try lathering, and then working the lather into the skin with your fingers for several minutes. Then re-lather and shave with a fresh quality blade. Using the original lather for a "preshave" has worked wonders for me.

I'm not a fan of disposable razors. I presume you've moved on to a "real razor?" Which injector razor are you using at present?
Schick Hydro Magic Type I. Chick Blade. I'm also thinking about dropping on a GEM featherweight.

Top Bottom