What's new

4 of the 5 best 9mm Handguns on the planet are striker fired pistols

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Can’t speak for the others, but after much research, no small number of emails & phone conversations, I opted for a Bar-Sto. Fully supported, it’ll handle the hot stuff and as much lead as you care to feed it ... oh yea, it also turned an already accurate stock pistol into a FAVORITE, but not necessarily BEST match-grade shooter.

Absolutely agree, Bar-Sto makes great barrels.

Like I said, at that point youre probably splitting hairs but theres a reason why pretty much every police department and military now uses striker fired guns.
I hear you on the 1911. I really want one but they can be such a pain sometimes. Thats why I bought a Walther PPQ instead of a 1911.

Mine is never a pain. I just know that I need to keep it clean and lubed for it to remain reliable. I carry it often and since I may have to defend my life with it, I treat it well.

Who determines "best", and how do you separate best from I like or prefer??
That's easy. I determine Best and what I like and prefer IS best.

It really is that easy though some others might think differently. They are, of course, wrong!

Of course, but only if you agree with me!

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Couldn’t agree more with you and what jar_ said earlier, jkingrph.

And I’m beginning to think that my 1911s may be defective because they always have and continue to run like scalded dogs.

Can’t speak for the others, but after much research, no small number of emails & phone conversations, I opted for a Bar-Sto. Fully supported, it’ll handle the hot stuff and as much lead as you care to feed it ... oh yea, it also turned an already accurate stock pistol into a FAVORITE, but not necessarily BEST match-grade shooter.

Not in a striker fired, but in a Browning Hi Power. I had a Bar-Sto installed along with Cylinder&Slide's CNC milled hammer and sear, after I just could not get one of their extended safties in. I had already installed one of their wide triggers which eliminated that infernal magazine safety, probably one of the best mods going for that gun. That all gave it a fantastic trigger, and with the barrel excellent accuracy. Some years back there was someone making a cut down compact model I think for the FBI or some Federal agency. I wish I could have afforded one but was getting my son ready for college and had more important things to worry about.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Not in a striker fired, but in a Browning Hi Power. I had a Bar-Sto installed along with Cylinder&Slide's CNC milled hammer and sear, after I just could not get one of their extended safties in. I had already installed one of their wide triggers which eliminated that infernal magazine safety, probably one of the best mods going for that gun. That all gave it a fantastic trigger, and with the barrel excellent accuracy. Some years back there was someone making a cut down compact model I think for the FBI or some Federal agency. I wish I could have afforded one but was getting my son ready for college and had more important things to worry about.
FM had a compact model based on their M-95 HP clone.

OkieStubble

Mine is never a pain. I just know that I need to keep it clean and lubed for it to remain reliable. I carry it often and since I may have to defend my life with it, I treat it well.

This is the same philosophy I use towards the wife. :)

I have several issues with that article. One being that Glock didnt invent striker fire, H&K did. Two that hammer fired is more reliable. Its not. Three being that its safer. Also not. (Even 1911s were intended to be carried with the hamer cocked and if you have to **** the hammer before you shoot it, by the time you pull it and **** the hammer, youre already dead)
Hammer fired guns definetly rock. IMO, theyre cooler but other than that, Id have to respectfully disagree with the author of that article. If 1911s were easier to strip down and reassemble, Id trade my Walther on one in a second. Theyre not though and thats why, as much as I love 1911s and will probably own one someday, if I were going off to war tomorrow and needed a gun that I could rely on to protect my life in any weather and be easy to use and care for, Id go striker fired every time. Like I said, theres a reason why pretty much every police dept and miltary uses striker fired, poly, semi auto pistols nowdays.

Heh! In the spirit of good Forum debate, I have several issues with your several issues.

proxy.php

Colt was producing striker fired pistols as far back as 1908. I have a Model 1908 .25 ACP. I also currently have an Astra Model 1916 on hand and once had a Beretta Model 1919. I have an Austrian friend who has a dandy Roth Steyr Model 1907. There were a number of striker fired pistols in use prior to World War I. I don't know who introduced the very first striker-fired handgun but it's certain to be found somewhere with the first decade of the 20th century rather than in any Heckler & Koch design.

Hammer fired vs. striker fired: what are the tradeoffs? - www.GrantCunningham.com
A pretty good, evenhanded look at hammer-fired versus striker fired. My money's still on hammer-fired even after reading Grant Cunningham's article for I hold the view that hammer-fired produces a more effective primer strike and striker-fired could be more susceptible to tired springs. Tend to springs when one should and there should be no problem, but what if one doesn't ... or can't.

Only nitwits would carry a loaded 1911 with the hammer down. Nitwits can't be helped if they are too foolish to learn how to properly use a 1911. The 1911-gun (or any similar Browning inspired design) is perfectly safe "when used as directed."

I had no idea how fast the 1911 may be taken down until making a "speed event" out of it at someone's suggestion. Seven seconds from beginning to scattered on the kitchen table. He claimed to be even faster.

They go back together pretty much in the time-honored reverse order. The 1911 just isn't hard. Isn't hard that is unless it's been customized or modified into the ground.

To continue the hypothetical: "If I were going off to war and needed a gun that I could rely on to protect my life in any weather and be easy to use and care for..." Thankfully at my age I'm not going off to war but if I did, I'd chose a 1911 gun for personal use if given the choice rather than to carry the choice of every police department and military. Goes back to what my mother used to as in reply when I told her: "But, everybody's doing it."

"If everybody is jumping off the ridge row of the roof on their heads, does that mean you should too?"

proxy.php

Can't improve on the most perfect handgun ever made. Ruger Blackhawk with both 357 and 9mm cylinders. Don't know why you would want a wimpy 9mm, unless it is for your grandmother to shoot on family range day. Guess revolvers are not tacticool, not a lot of aftermarket swag for them, but never had a malfunction with one.

Revolver malfunction. Once. BIG one though.
S&W Model 28. Mainspring snapped in two. Rumor was it had to do with bad heat treating.

shoelessjoe

But...if you have to use an aftermarket barrel you don't have the glock Perfection.
Ah, but there was a follow-up video & in it, good ol’ Hickok dials things down a wee bit and discovers that the polygonal factory barrel stabilizes hot DoubleTap 200gr HCs with deadly accuracy!

The upside to Bar-Sto barrels are tighter tolerances, fully supported chambers, lead/reloader-friendly L&G rifling & of course, improved accuracy. Factory Glock barrels have roomier chambers for one reason & one reason only, dependability.

shoelessjoe

proxy.php

Can't improve on the most perfect handgun ever made...

I can hear it now: “Timeout, timeout!!” “Stop shooting at me so that I can reload this smoke wagon!!”

Just kidding!! My .30 Carb NM Blackhawk has quickly become a favorite handgun.

shoelessjoe

... I don't know who introduced the very first striker-fired handgun but it's certain to be found somewhere with the first decade of the 20th century rather than in any Heckler & Koch design.
Twas Hugo Borchardt & his assistant, Georg Luger who, in 1892-93 designed the first self-loading, striker-fired production pistol, the C93. No surprise, their German pedigree, eh?

OkieStubble

proxy.php

Can't improve on the most perfect handgun ever made. Ruger Blackhawk with both 357 and 9mm cylinders. Don't know why you would want a wimpy 9mm, unless it is for your grandmother to shoot on family range day. Guess revolvers are not tacticool, not a lot of aftermarket swag for them, but never had a malfunction with one.

That is one sexy six shooter!

OkieStubble

Ah, but there was a follow-up video & in it, good ol’ Hickok dials things down a wee bit and discovers that the polygonal factory barrel stabilizes hot DoubleTap 200gr HCs with deadly accuracy!

The upside to Bar-Sto barrels are tighter tolerances, fully supported chambers, lead/reloader-friendly L&G rifling & of course, improved accuracy. Factory Glock barrels have roomier chambers for one reason & one reason only, dependability.

Why can't I find that video? Ya gotta link?

Top Bottom