What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I believe just the earlier models (brass?)of the open comb did not have the bumps.
Interesting, So guys who like a aggressive shave could take the spine off and make their bump free Gem razor a touch more aggressive in theory. Has any one done that procedure of removing the spine making for a aggressive shave?? A person could also tame a Gem open comb razor in theory by elevating a open comb with the bumps by placing a thin narrow magnetic strip on the blade so it straddles the bumps(lifting the back of the blade higher). Wonder if any one has tried that procedure to tame some aggression and to smooth it out a little? When I get my Gems they will be tested for different shaves with shim variations and like always any new razor gets shimmed regardless. The bumps are basically shims IMO but some guys hate shims and will not use them regardless and most of the time there is no need I have found.

Something new I learned was the 2 bumps that are on most but not all Micromatic razors were for the double edge blade that was introduced. They were added to take some of the aggression off the blade because the spine was removed(Micomatic double edge blade)they were going to challenge Gillette double edge it seems to me with their double edge blade. ASR GEM probably found blade sales dropped off when introduced is my guess because you needed less of them over the year in a limited market?.
View attachment 927751 View attachment 927752 View attachment 927753
I have a couple of those double edge blades in their original wrapping. I wonder how they were priced compared to the single edge Gem blades. Double the price?

They probably started out more expensive but by the late 40s they were priced the same .
I have a couple of those double edge blades in their original wrapping. I wonder how they were priced compared to the single edge Gem blades. Double the price?
proxy.php

Ron R

Great question!

They probably started out more expensive but by the late 40s they were priced the same .
Seeing is believing, thanks for the great ads and answers @Jim99 question. It's hard to find those ads on line.

Ron R

Found this on You tube and there were large scale marketing tactics that GEM VS GILLETTE were going on that most folks were not aware of today. The big club of Gillette can sure show it's marketing strength and looks like it won for today anyways but who knows the next rival to appear.

Ron R

Just received these beauties and did a quick cleaning in some boiling water heads only that had plastic, They were hardly used IMO, not sure what that is telling me, to mild, Gillette fad was the way to go, Christmas presents that were neglected ?????
All I need are my blades I ordered and some shaving enjoyment begins!
The razors are Gem push button(gold metal)+Gem feather weight(white handle)+Gem G-bar(all chromed) for those folks who might not know. Seasoned Gem owners already know them + more on the way.
Hope they shave as good as they look!:a17:
like new Gems (2).jpg
like new Gems 1.2 (2).jpg

Just received these beauties and did a quick cleaning in some boiling water heads only that had plastic, They were hardly used IMO, not sure what that is telling me, to mild, Gillette fad was the way to go, Christmas presents that were neglected ?????
All I need are my blades I ordered and some shaving enjoyment begins!
The razors are Gem push button(gold metal)+Gem feather weight(white handle)+Gem G-bar(all chromed) for those folks who might not know. Seasoned Gem owners already know them + more on the way.
Hope they shave as good as they look!:a17:
View attachment 929828 View attachment 929829
Out of the three, the g-bar is the nicest shaver, but all are very good.

I see the early GEM 1912 razors promoted stropping the blades. I admit I don't know much of the auto strop razors, etc. So stropping the blades will lengthen the lifespan of today's blades too? Are they the same thickness as those vintage blades? I just saw this one for sale.
GEM 1912 full set.jpg

I see the early GEM 1912 razors promoted stropping the blades. I admit I don't know much of the auto strop razors, etc. So stropping the blades will lengthen the lifespan of today's blades too? Are they the same thickness as those vintage blades? I just saw this one for sale.
View attachment 929850

Stropping was for carbon steel blades, I don't think it will do much good on stainless steel blades though.

IMO, all the early (all metal) Gem razors are excellent!

It’s a simple, yet effective design, there’s enough weight that they require no pressure, blades can be found in most supermarkets and chain drugstores, they’re easy to find and prices are relatively low. Oh, did I mention that they’re great razors?

I just don’t understand why they didn’t have a bigger following.

Ron R

We got talking about dating MicroMatics on another thread and @jmudrick found some interesting information on them that I will share.

It's hard to find this information but some how he finds these tid bits that make collecting Gems interesting.

From my research the first Micromatics appeared on shelves in February 1931 after having been announced to distributors the previous summer soon after the patent approval.

Your razor would date from 1932 or later since it has the two bumps to accommodate the double sided blades released in 1932. Only with a case might you be able to narrow in on the date any further.

proxy.php

Who said they didn't have a big following? The Micromatics sold in the millions and competed well in the market. Gillette market share in the 30s went into lthe low teens. From 1939 the low cost production of the stamped sheet metal Tech no doubt freed up a lot of $$ for national advertising that it was hard for ASR to match. The profit margin on the Micromatics given their materials, build and complexity must have been miniscule.

It’s a simple, yet effective design, there’s enough weight that they require no pressure, blades can be found in most supermarkets and chain drugstores, they’re easy to find and prices are relatively low. Oh, did I mention that they’re great razors?

They lost out to Gillette in the first wave too. Every gem I've picked up have been impeccable, built like tanks and work like in their hey days. Point to note is that most are shiny and look mint - perhaps indicating that once that Gillette DE marketing onslaught started, Gem owners put their Gems back in to the box and in to a drawer after buying a shiny new Gillette razors. The boxed gems sat there - ignored and forgotten, till our community re-discovered them !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

They lost out to Gillette in the first wave too. Every gem I've picked up have been impeccable, built like tanks and work like in their hey days. Point to note is that most are shiny and look mint - perhaps indicating that once that Gillette DE marketing onslaught started, Gem owners put their Gems back in to the box and in to a drawer after buying a shiny new Gillette razors. The boxed gems sat there - ignored and forgotten, till our community re-discovered them !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
I was in an antique shop earlier today and I saw a mint Gem with the Art Deco handle and blade box, but it was in a 46-48 Gillette aristocrat case! $18 USD. You are likely quite right.

Who said they didn't have a big following? The Micromatics sold in the millions and competed well in the market. Gillette market share in the 30s went into lthe low teens. From 1939 the low cost production of the stamped sheet metal Tech no doubt freed up a lot of $$ for national advertising that it was hard for ASR to match. The profit margin on the Micromatics given their materials, build and complexity must have been miniscule.
That is a very good point.

Ron R

I think it's a virgin Gem 1912 razor :a47:, if not, it was hardly ever used IMO. Just excellent shape for a Gem greenhorn who is still waiting on my blades, Canada post was on a rotating strike has really pushed parcels way back.:santa: Santa has early this year.
gem 1912 virgin (2).jpg

Top Bottom