What's new

4 of the 5 best 9mm Handguns on the planet are striker fired pistols

So you're saying that hammer fired handguns don't work as well?
In theory, striker is more reliable because theres nothing that could interfere with it and really not much that could ever break. All it has is a coil spring around the firing pin. With hammer fire, the hammer strikes the firing pin. Theres more things that could go wrong, such as the hammer breaking, mud getting between the hammer and firing pin, etc.
Thats not to say that hammer fire is bad, but if you are going to split hairs on guns, well, there it is.

I saw Yahoo, had another the 5 best Revolvers on the Planet article today. :) Maybe you should start a thread.

The article had the Ruger GP100 and S&W 686 listed, but the other three, made me pull an @Toothpick "Told by Yahoo?" :)
Maybe. Before I bought my Timeless and about $200 worth of soap, I seriously pondered whether I wanted to do that or buy a revolver. Theres lots of good revolvers out there in the $600 range.

I like both of my CZ75's.

As do I. In fact this CZ (75BD) is the most accurate handgun I ever fired right out of the box. A Glock 17 Gen. 2 was close and one of my sons talked me out of it some time ago....
$CZ 001.jpg

In theory, striker is more reliable because theres nothing that could interfere with it and really not much that could ever break. All it has is a coil spring around the firing pin. With hammer fire, the hammer strikes the firing pin. Theres more things that could go wrong, such as the hammer breaking, mud getting between the hammer and firing pin, etc.
Thats not to say that hammer fire is bad, but if you are going to split hairs on guns, well, there it is.

Never even looked at that way. I have lots of shooting time with both striker and 1911s' and revolvers and have never had reliability issues with any of them (my shot at polymers in my 2nd post was in good humor). I do concede that my 1911's require more "care and maintenance" than either my strikers or revolvers (but I just chalk that up the cost of owning 1911 pattern guns).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

My man! This sounds very reasonable to me.

OkieStubble

Never even looked at that way. I have lots of shooting time with both striker and 1911s' and revolvers and have never had reliability issues with any of them (my shot at polymers in my 2nd post was in good humor). I do concede that my 1911's require more "care and maintenance" than either my strikers or revolvers (but I just chalk that up the cost of owning 1911 pattern guns).

I agree with this. The hammers on modern revolvers strike a transfer bar, not the firing pin. I know on older revolver where the pin is actually attached to the hammer, didn't most let that hammer and pin sit on an empty chamber? And their 6 shooters were then down to 5?

I'm gonna have to give the four "best striker-fired 9mms" a miss in favor of the following.

High-Power
CZ 75
Colt Government Model in 9mm
SIG Sauer P210
Smith & Wesson Model 39 (especially the early steel-framed variant)

OkieStubble

I'm gonna have to give the four "best striker-fired 9mms" a miss in favor of the following.

High-Power
CZ 75
Colt Government Model in 9mm
SIG Sauer P210
Smith & Wesson Model 39 (especially the early steel-framed variant)

All of those look great, but please explain "why" they are better then the listed striker pistols? And none of that classic wood & steel stuff, give us the down and dirty truth of the matter... :)

Edit: And also very surprised to see the Colt Gov't 9mm? I figured you .45 all the way?

I agree with this. The hammers on modern revolvers strike a transfer bar, not the firing pin. I know on older revolver where the pin is actually attached to the hammer, didn't most let that hammer and pin sit on an empty chamber? And their 6 shooters were then down to 5?

Yeah. I have one of these that I use in a safety class on handling a revolver. When we were working to make the revolvers inoperable, we had to file down the firing pin since it was attached to the hammer. You are right, old revolvers were carried with the hammer on an empty chamber to avoid it firing when bumped.

OkieStubble

Yeah. I have one of these that I use in a safety class on handling a revolver. When we were working to make the revolvers inoperable, we had to file down the firing pin since it was attached to the hammer. You are right, old revolvers were carried with the hammer on an empty chamber to avoid it firing when bumped.

So basically, Other then the transfer bar and floating firing pin on the modern revolver, Has then been any other foundational design changes, that has has enhanced, function, reliability and/or accuracy?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Only on the very early guns. For example when I carry my 5 chamber Smith & Wesson DA model 4 I keep an empty chamber under the hammer. That mean I have four rounds before a reload but always carry 5 rounds in the speed loaders. If it gets to the reload stage I don't worry since it will be a spent cartridge under the hammer.

proxy.php

proxy.php

BUT, by the 1920s the hammer blocks were strong enough to all carry with all cylinders loaded. My 1919, 1920s, 1930s, 1950s & 60s revolvers and even the Smith M-19 and Highway Patrolman all have firing pins on the hammers.

Last edited:
Like I said, at that point youre probably splitting hairs but theres a reason why pretty much every police department and military now uses striker fired guns.
I hear you on the 1911. I really want one but they can be such a pain sometimes. Thats why I bought a Walther PPQ instead of a 1911.

My very first handgun I ever purchased, was a Beretta 92FS Centurion. Loved everything about that pistol EXCEPT the first pull of that 15 pound trigger. Traded it in 1989 for a Gen 2 Glock 19. Been brainwashed ever since. :)

That’s too bad, I could have fixed that pull or pointed you to someone who could have made it do what you wanted.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So basically, Other then the transfer bar and floating firing pin on the modern revolver, Has then been any other foundational design changes, that has has enhanced, function, reliability and/or accuracy?

Sigh...Colt had the hammer block safety, with the hammer mounted firing pin, in 1904.

Top Bottom