What's new

The Yaqi BEAST head and 70mm Nickel Handle

I picked up a few more synthetic brushes from Yaqi (reviews to follow shortly) and added on one of their Beast head, which is basically a hybrid of their "Double Open Comb" top cap and standard base plate.

The build quality on both items is fantastic! No blemishes, marks, scratches, nothing.

The handle is 70mm and is the shortest handle I’ve ever used but what I love about it is it is still hefty for its size. I thought it was going to be very light weight but was pleasantly surprised! I used it with the Beast head and then used it with my Rockwell 6S head and this combo was surprisingly great! It was ergonomic and well balanced (even with the heavy 6S head!).

The handle is very grippy. It’s a lined handle, not knurled but at no point did it feel slippery. It was easy to maintain my preferred 3 finger grip and the short length means it is very nimble (one of the main reasons I ordered my Karve razor with the 3inch handle).

The Beast head has a reputation of being a very aggressive shaver…I’d agree with this 100%!! This thing is aggressive and very efficient!

Whilst the shave was very close and I didn’t receive any cuts or weepers, the head did feel a little “bitey”. I had the feeling that it may bite me if I wasn’t careful.

This razor is the most aggressive on the Yaqi DE razor spectrum. The DOC “Mellon” is a mild and comfortable razor. Their standard “DE89” style head is in between the Beast and the Mellon. Do note the DE89 style is not as mild as the actual DE89…it’s actually quite efficient and very comfortable. It’s my favourite of the Yaqi DE razor range.

Yaqi states it is for “experienced” users, however, I’ve been DE shaving for a decade and this shaver is too much for my skin. The shave itself was very close and after the second pass, it was just touch ups. If you like razors on the higher end of aggression (think R41, Ikon Tech, Rockwell R6, Progress @5, Futur @6 etc etc), then this one’s for you!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hope you're right. Have one on its way. I mean, for $7 (including shipping), what the heck! (Or "What of the heck!" as my four-year-old son likes to say.)

Has anyone run this razor back to back with the 2011 Muhle R41 or the Ikon Tech? Wondering how it stacks up against the most aggressive DEs.

Has anyone run this razor back to back with the 2011 Muhle R41 or the Ikon Tech? Wondering how it stacks up against the most aggressive DEs.

From what I remember of the 2011 R41, the Yaqi beast is nearly the same in terms of aggression with just a hint less efficiency.

From what I remember of the 2011 R41, the Yaqi beast is nearly the same in terms of aggression with just a hint less efficiency.
Guess the only way to know will be to run it against the IT, which is the razor from which I get the best shave.

Guess the only way to know will be to run it against the IT, which is the razor from which I get the best shave.

I'd guess the iTech is going to remain more aggressive. But yes, the proof will be in a head to head comparison.

I'd guess the iTech is going to remain more aggressive. But yes, the proof will be in a head to head comparison.
Agreed. Outside chance. I'm thinking, based on what others have written of their experiences, there's a decent chance the Charcoal Goods Lvl 3 OC, Stainless PAA DOC Evo or Le Coq Caged Head will unseat the IT. Others are less likely but one never knows.

In terms of blade feel, most intense was the El Jefe but I could not get a decent shave with it. Some of the SEs might equal or better the IT but I'm just not particularly interested in modern SEs.

Agreed. Outside chance. I'm thinking, based on what others have written of their experiences, there's a decent chance the Charcoal Goods Lvl 3 OC, Stainless PAA DOC Evo or Le Coq Caged Head will unseat the IT. Others are less likely but one never knows.

In terms of blade feel, most intense was the El Jefe but I could not get a decent shave with it. Some of the SEs might equal or better the IT but I'm just not particularly interested in modern SEs.

Good feedback! I'd be interested in your take of the beast.

I personally find too much blade feel causes me to apply negative pressure as my skin is very sensitive, so I don't get a close shave.

I like my Rockwell and progress the best as I can increase the aggression but still retain smoothness. I have the karve on the way also, which is getting rave review for giving closeness with smoothness.

Good feedback! I'd be interested in your take of the beast.

I personally find too much blade feel causes me to apply negative pressure as my skin is very sensitive, so I don't get a close shave.

I like my Rockwell and progress the best as I can increase the aggression but still retain smoothness. I have the karve on the way also, which is getting rave review for giving closeness with smoothness.
For closeness with smoothness, try the Fendrihan Mark-I Artist. It's on sale for $25, which is a bargain. Comes with a pretty decent handle, just a bit lower in quality than the Ikon OSS. I found it very comfortable and really close too. A small step behind the IT in terms of closeness but WAY more comfortable.

For closeness with smoothness, try the Fendrihan Mark-I Artist. It's on sale for $25, which is a bargain. Comes with a pretty decent handle, just a bit lower in quality than the Ikon OSS. I found it very comfortable and really close too. A small step behind the IT in terms of closeness but WAY more comfortable.

Cool, thanks! Will check it out!

I picked up a few more synthetic brushes from Yaqi (reviews to follow shortly) and added on one of their Beast head, which is basically a hybrid of their "Double Open Comb" top cap and standard base plate.

The build quality on both items is fantastic! No blemishes, marks, scratches, nothing.

The handle is 70mm and is the shortest handle I’ve ever used but what I love about it is it is still hefty for its size. I thought it was going to be very light weight but was pleasantly surprised! I used it with the Beast head and then used it with my Rockwell 6S head and this combo was surprisingly great! It was ergonomic and well balanced (even with the heavy 6S head!).

The handle is very grippy. It’s a lined handle, not knurled but at no point did it feel slippery. It was easy to maintain my preferred 3 finger grip and the short length means it is very nimble (one of the main reasons I ordered my Karve razor with the 3inch handle).

The Beast head has a reputation of being a very aggressive shaver…I’d agree with this 100%!! This thing is aggressive and very efficient!

Whilst the shave was very close and I didn’t receive any cuts or weepers, the head did feel a little “bitey”. I had the feeling that it may bite me if I wasn’t careful.

This razor is the most aggressive on the Yaqi DE razor spectrum. The DOC “Mellon” is a mild and comfortable razor. Their standard “DE89” style head is in between the Beast and the Mellon. Do note the DE89 style is not as mild as the actual DE89…it’s actually quite efficient and very comfortable. It’s my favourite of the Yaqi DE razor range.

Yaqi states it is for “experienced” users, however, I’ve been DE shaving for a decade and this shaver is too much for my skin. The shave itself was very close and after the second pass, it was just touch ups. If you like razors on the higher end of aggression (think R41, Ikon Tech, Rockwell R6, Progress @5, Futur @6 etc etc), then this one’s for you!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Now isn't this interesting?

The handle you have is the exact length as a Fatip Piccolo's (70mm), is made of brass like the Piccolo's, nickel plated like the Piccolo's, and even appears to have the same longitudinal lines as the Piccolo! Besides the concentric rings placed differently, it does seem to share a great deal in common with it.

The only thing I'm not sure of, is the diameters: Yaqi claim 12mm, but I have not found the Piccolo's diameter online. However a quick rough check of my Piccolo with a ruler (sorry, no mic here), seems to show it to be around 5/16ths to 3/8ths of an inch in diameter, or around 8-10mm. This seems to be what I'm seeing in comparing the pictures, that the Yaqi is a bit larger in diameter.

Comparing weights, the Yaqi lists 55gr to the Piccolo handle's 65gr. This leads me to believe the Yaqi may indeed be brass, but hollow brass to the Piccolo's solid brass. But at 55 grams, that still is reasonably heft for such a short handle.

Finally, as mentioned above, the Yaqi & Piccolo have the same base material (brass) and plating (nickel).

All of this leads to my loving everything about my Piccolo handle, except it being just a bit small in diameter for my tastes. However, the all brass nickel-plated Yaqi seems to be somewhat of a Piccolo clone or emulator, but with a slightly thicker diameter. In fact, this is exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks for your review, bringing this to my attention. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom