What's new

Gave up my first brush a Semogue 820.

Recently I've been looking at my first brush a red Semogue 820. I kept it only because it looked nice on a stand by the tub paired with Red Speed Gillette. Monday I decided to give it a whirl and remembered why I stopped using it. Find the knot to be be too thin and have no substance and barely holds a lather. Also for reasons unknown it's also difficult to build a decent lather with it vs another boar brush I use a Omega 10098.

Got a guy at work interested in the old school safety razor shaving. Gave him some shave soap and the Semogue 820 as a starter kit and mentioned that he will want to move up to a better brush. I tend to eventually move items that don't perform for me.

Does Semogue make a more substantial boar brush? Other opinions on the Semogue 820 welcommed.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
the 1305 is my #1 goto 709.jpeg

The 610 is nice; it is just a bit shorter loft. I prefer it for face lathering.

How many shaves did you give it? A Semogue can take quite a few uses to break in.

Recently I've been looking at my first brush a red Semogue 820. I kept it only because it looked nice on a stand by the tub paired with Red Speed Gillette. Monday I decided to give it a whirl and remembered why I stopped using it. Find the knot to be be too thin and have no substance and barely holds a lather. Also for reasons unknown it's also difficult to build a decent lather with it vs another boar brush I use a Omega 10098.

Got a guy at work interested in the old school safety razor shaving. Gave him some shave soap and the Semogue 820 as a starter kit and mentioned that he will want to move up to a better brush. I tend to eventually move items that don't perform for me.

Does Semogue make a more substantial boar brush? Other opinions on the Semogue 820 welcommed.

I always find these complaints interesting. I've got two Semogue boar brushes and an Omega badger/boar combination that I made wonderful lather with immediately. Is my water better for making lather? I don't know.

I always find these complaints interesting. I've got two Semogue boar brushes and an Omega badger/boar combination that I made wonderful lather with immediately. Is my water better for making lather? I don't know.

Lathering is not an issue with my other 7 brushes of which one is boar and rest varying badger, horse hair sold. Same water with all brushes.

N.B. I did notice better lathering since adding a water softener 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Lathering is not an issue with my other 7 brushes of which one is boar and rest varying badger, horse hair sold. Same water with all brushes.

N.B. I did notice better lathering since adding a water softener 3 years ago.

I wonder if it has hard water scale/residue on it? might try a 4/1 water/vinegar soak for it to see if it alleviates the issue.

It sounds like something on the brush is killing the lather. A dawn bath might be in order if it could be an oil or grease in it.

Sound's like it just needs to be broken in a little more. Semogues can take up to a month of daily shaves to break in. My 830 is a lather making machine.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Maybe the guy just didn’t appreciate the brush the way you guys do. To each their own right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the guy just didn’t appreciate the brush the way you guys do. To each their own right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, of course. However, some of the negative reviews stem from driver error/environmental conditions and not the quality of the brush.

Thanks for all your replies. I don't regret moving it to a more appreciative home. For whatever reason reason the knot felt thin and low density compared to other 22mm brushes. On a positive I like the feel and material quality of the handle and the added metal ring at base of knot. If I try another Semogue I'll be sure to go with a 24mm minimum knot.

Here's an picture early on after purchase and some usage.
Group.jpeg

Top Bottom