What's new

New lube for many natural stones

1DE72124-FA64-43CE-A74A-E1497CF1BC4D.jpeg
Reading on here a short while ago there was talk about using a 50/50 mix of water and Ballistol on a Zulu Grey. Was supposed to be the hot set-up for sure. So........
Hey that’s fair dinkum on the Ballistol/water mix.
Took a rather tired Hart 7/8 and gave it about 75 x-strokes. Made me a believer. Next up are. PRC Kraken and Brian Brown 7/8.
Great advice. Thanks

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Seemed to be the right viscosity for me. Much like Smith's honing solution. And when you buy a big can and it takes very little and lasts forever on your blued metals, you have plenty left over!

Tried it on my surgical black. I liked it but you need to keep it wet or it gets really wierd sticky really quick!

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Does Ballistol have a smell? I keep hearing about it and haven't tried it yet. I'm a big WD 40 fan.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I used for the first time Ballistol/water on a Special Stone OFGR to refresh a tugging Fili 13. Normally I would use oil but the Ballistol gave up a laser edge on this stone. I was not bothered by the scent but I did have to add a few drops of water. It did get sticky but a few drops of water mellowed everything out. Look forward to using this lube on other stones

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
With Ballistol do you mix up a container and keep it around for awhile or does it need to be mixed every time you use it?

Do you put it in a spray bottle and just spray it onto the stone? If so, is there a favorite spray bottle? If not, what's your container and how do you use the product?

I assume you wash the stone with soap and water after each use to get the Ballistol off, is this right?

I've read of using this mixture on both the Zulu Grey and the Arkansas Hard Black. My ZG won't be shipped for months, but I might try this with the AHB.

What makes this better than water with a little bit of shaving soap?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

timwcic

"Look what I found"
No one sells it near my house for some reason. Wish I could try it out.

Amazon, and for the holidays free snail mail shipping

With Ballistol do you mix up a container and keep it around for awhile or does it need to be mixed every time you use it?

Do you put it in a spray bottle and just spray it onto the stone? If so, is there a favorite spray bottle? If not, what's your container and how do you use the product?

I assume you wash the stone with soap and water after each use to get the Ballistol off, is this right?

I've read of using this mixture on both the Zulu Grey and the Arkansas Hard Black. My ZG won't be shipped for months, but I might try this with the AHB.

What makes this better than water with a little bit of shaving soap?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Myself, I only put water or soap/water in a spray bottle. It’s hard to control the overspray. All other mixtures, homemade oil lube, water/glycerin and ballistol/water goes in a Contacts lens solution bottle. It naturally dispenses one drop at a time. I mix up only two ounces at a time. All I need is three or four drops even on my largest stones. Stones get a soap and water bath when done

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Amazon, and for the holidays free snail mail shipping

Myself, I only put water or soap/water in a spray bottle. It’s hard to control the overspray. All other mixtures, homemade oil lube, water/glycerin and ballistol/water goes in a Contacts lens solution bottle. It naturally dispenses one drop at a time. I mix up only two ounces at a time. All I need is three or four drops even on my largest stones. Stones get a soap and water bath when done

Thank you, sir.

Stuff stays in kind of a milky looking solution for a long time. I put about 3oz. each in a plastic squeeze bottle. Give it a shake before using. Guess I should wash the stone one of these days.

Top Bottom