What's new

Online shopping and GST downunder

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Could they be viewing it as the first sale in Aussie, so GST for new or used goods applies?
I don't know how GST works in Aussie but I believe the logic here for no GST on used goods, is because it had already GST paid for it when new.

Legion

Staff member
Yeah nah. Think about it. An antique store only sells second hand stuff, but they still have to charge gst, and pay their taxes.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yeah nah, it's complicated bro.
Example for NZ GST.
If the seller is not registered for GST or the goods are private (exempt), there will be no tax invoice or GST charged. However, if the purchaser is GST registered they can claim a credit for GST purpose.

Second hand goods if seller is GST registered
The standard GST rules apply.

Legion

Staff member
Technically, the seller is the one who should be paying the gst, but since it is hard to prove if they are selling above the tax free threshold, eBay is getting taxed, as they are the “store”, and charging the seller fees to do so. A bit like an antique store selling someone’s junk on consignment. Seems legit.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yeah, I did some googling and it looks like even if you buy something from overseas and it only costs you $5.00 you still have to pay the GST now and this includes used items. I will have to rethink some of my overseas purchases from now on. It was bad enough in some cases having to pay fairly high postage costs but now add in the GST component and it can be pricey. I realize it should help local business but they have to be competitive too.

I recently got stung by my mail forwarding company charging me Australian GST on items I was having sent to them and then forwarded to me. I think that they're really trying to just scam people. They have no idea whether or not I've paid GST to a retailer on the items that I have sent there and as most of the items I buy are second hand then they should be GST exempt. It will probably take a little while to sort all the details out.

I recently got stung by my mail forwarding company charging me Australian GST on items I was having sent to them and then forwarded to me. I think that they're really trying to just scam people. They have no idea whether or not I've paid GST to a retailer on the items that I have sent there and as most of the items I buy are second hand then they should be GST exempt. It will probably take a little while to sort all the details out.
It seems to me they're keeping on finding new and elaborate ways to screw us over :mad3:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I had to have another go on eBay and see if I could work this out. I bought a used Gillette Gold tech for US $2.99 and with postage the total cost came to US 26.90 and eBay slugged me $2.60 GST. So eBay are charging GST on the total of the transaction with postage not just the cost of the item purchased. That is what I reckon.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Further to my last post I went back and checked my Paypal transaction, in Australian dollars the break down is as follows: Purchase price $4.03, postage $26.94 which equals $30.97 and the GST cost was $3.10. In the previous post I had quoted the postage in Australian dollars not US dollars. I had out-confused myself. Go figure.

It looks like Ebay is charging GST on international postage because it’s a service.

Also, I may have found a little cloud with a faint silver lining. It appears that overseas sellers are only required to register for GST if they export more than $75,000 worth of goods to Australia. It’s very unlikely that any of the overseas shaving retailers would exceed this figure so in Australia at least we may avoid being slugged.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I read a few months back where Amazon was saying they were going to not ship to Aussie instead of collecting the GST. Was this just talk or have they followed through with it?

I read a few months back where Amazon was saying they were going to not ship to Aussie instead of collecting the GST. Was this just talk or have they followed through with it?
If I go to the Amazon US website it directs me to the Amazon Oz site but if I go to the Amazon UK website it doesn’t. Very confusing.

It looks like Ebay is charging GST on international postage because it’s a service.

Also, I may have found a little cloud with a faint silver lining. It appears that overseas sellers are only required to register for GST if they export more than $75,000 worth of goods to Australia. It’s very unlikely that any of the overseas shaving retailers would exceed this figure so in Australia at least we may avoid being slugged.
I’ve now had two overseas orders where no GST has been charged. Whilst I’m reticent to name the merchants I will say that both orders were for shaving supplies.

I wish someone would start selling all the US artisan soaps over here. It's so expensive to buy them with the added shipping :001_unsur
I've used Fineshave a few times, and also SABA who make a decent kiwi shave soap.

Have you seen these guys yet? Shaving & Grooming Supplies Australia | The Stray Whisker Just put an order in, their prices are pretty good. Infact very good when you consider current exchange rates. I bought three Ariana and Evans soaps and shipping to NZ was free :)

I tried to buy some Australian Private Reserve but they won't ship to NZ. Apparently their stuff is top tier, maybe if enough of us hassle them they'll start shipping over here..

Have you seen these guys yet? Shaving & Grooming Supplies Australia | The Stray Whisker Just put an order in, their prices are pretty good. Infact very good when you consider current exchange rates. I bought three Ariana and Evans soaps and shipping to NZ was free :)

I tried to buy some Australian Private Reserve but they won't ship to NZ. Apparently their stuff is top tier, maybe if enough of us hassle them they'll start shipping over here..

Yep, I have one of the TSW Synthetic brushes, and the after balm. Both are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can order Australian Private Reserve from Beard and Blade. It ship to NZ.

They are my top supplier of shave guys. I've bought a few wholly kaw and some grooming dept soaps off them.

Top Bottom