What's new

Is a gatorade bottle good enough for disposing of safety razor blades (for someone with no kids)?

I don't have kids so I don't need to worry about one opening up the bottle and playing with the blades but I'm more worried about how the bottle would hold up when sanitation workers have to deal with it. The plastic on the bottle is sturdier than most other plastic drink bottles but not as strong as say a metal container. Any reason I should switch to something else?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Visit your local pharmacy or maybe even Walmart/Target and pick up a sharps contianer. They are cheap. And anyone that may come in contact with it can identify the contents has hazardous.

Visit your local pharmacy or maybe even Walmart/Target and pick up a sharps contianer. They are cheap. And anyone that may come in contact with it can identify the contents has hazardous.
I did print out some sticker labels that say "used razor blades" and attach them to the Gatorade bottle, I'd think that would be good enough but I'd be more worried about the garbage truck's compressor breaking it open causing a hazard for someone at the dump.

A sharps container is the ideal solution to prevent any harm to sanitation workers. if you don't wish to have one in the bathroom or on the sink a Altoids container with a slit cut in it works well. once it is full most pharmacy's will take the tin and add it to their large in store sharps bin for disposal.

I’ve been using an old cotton buds box, all taped up and with a slot in the top. I’ve had it for about 9 or 10 years and it still has space in it. When it finishes, I would take it to the local recycling centre to see what they want me to do with it. Don’t know if they have such a thing where you are, but that’s an option (hopefully you won’t have to worry for a good while). Alternatively ask at a pharmacy whether they can advise how to dispose of sharps.

Sure that will work but a can of beef or chicken broth with a blade size cut on the top (and drained) will work and look better (you can paint) be more stable and take up less space.

I've heard of worse solutions than a Gatorade bottle. For example I have enough plastic tucks that I just dispose of used blades in the back as designed. I doubt that has any more strength than a bottle. But a proper red sharps box, handled according to the laws in your area, would be ideal.

I don't have kids so I don't need to worry about one opening up the bottle and playing with the blades but I'm more worried about how the bottle would hold up when sanitation workers have to deal with it. The plastic on the bottle is sturdier than most other plastic drink bottles but not as strong as say a metal container. Any reason I should switch to something else?

That's reason enough.

Great option!! You could also consider buying a ‘blade bank’ which are inexpensive.

The Gatorade bottle works. Other options are out there, as has been mentioned above. I suggest super gluing the lid & putting the bottle in a plastic bag when filled & you're putting it in the trash.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_item_XL_7979856_7251801.jpg
Safest way. And can last your whole life.

I have always used an aluminum soda can. I made a small slit on the top which enlarged the drinking whole just big enough for one blade to fit through.

Check with your local trash company. In my old community in NorCal they gave out sharps containers for free plus picked them up for free.

What about an old prescription bottle, or Dentene gum container? I think it would take approx 2 years to fill either of those....good luck!

Top Bottom