What's new

Drying brushes in a wood stand

I have always had a metal strand for my brushes and I have always let the brushes dry while hanging in the stand. I do shake them gently and give them a squeeze in a towel before hanging.

I am switching to a wood stand. Do I need to do anything differently? Will the wet brushes against the wood be a problem?

I used to hang my dozen brushes bristles down from a rubber stamp carousel. Then I decided that once 24 hours have passed, there's no benefit to continued hanging like that. Now the carousel is dedicated to razors plus the most recently-used brush, and the rest of the brushes are standing on their handles in a spice rack. I'm going to fabricate a spring clip (out of the stainless steel strip from a retired windshield wiper blade) that will hold the one drying brush, and the carousel will be just for razors.

If you dry the handle with a towel and the knot doesn't touch the wood,, I don't see how it could harm any surface.

Waiddaminnit - you mean a single brush stand, like this sort of thing, right?
proxy.php

A properly-designed stand should not allow the knot to touch any part of the wood, so it shouildn't be a problem either.

It is like the picture you posted, but for multiple brushes. It has U-shaped cut outs.

I guess I will have to wait until it arrives to make sure there is some clearance. If it is thight, I guess I have to let the brush dry standing on its handle and then rack it when it’s dry.

Thanks.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If it is made properly and has a good water repelling top coat then all should be well. Enjoy, it should look good.

It shouldn't be a problem. I don't think it's a problem just to turn the brush upside down on its head (assuming the head is flat). Evaporation works the same regardless of brush orientation.

Top Bottom