What's new

New 10x pack for gillette black India (saloon pack)

Has anyone come across these? I have just picked up 2 boxes containing 10packs each containing 10 blades. These are cheaper than before. I remember buying 5pack and 5+2p pack for nearly the same price.

On first sight, they look the same but feel ever so thin. Then I compared it with normal pack of 5 and 5+2 one and these new ones are definitely thinner.

Had first shave today, seemed ok but not as sharp as the ones before. The old ones were very sharp but these are less so.

Has anyone else had similar experience with these?

I'm wondering if gillette is cutting corner on quality to compete in quantity?

Here's a pic of the box.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

On first sight, they look the same but feel ever so thin. Then I compared it with normal pack of 5 and 5+2 one and these new ones are definitely thinner.
Did you measure it with a micrometer? Most blades are about the same thickness these days, around 0.09mm or 0.035", see DE Blade Thicknesses
I'm wondering if gillette is cutting corner on quality to compete in quantity?
The packaging looks expensive. What is the slot to the left and bottom for? The price is very good.
You should use a couple of blades to get a full picture.

Did you measure it with a micrometer? Most blades are about the same thickness these days, around 0.09mm or 0.035", see DE Blade Thicknesses

The packaging looks expensive. What is the slot to the left and bottom for? The price is very good.
But the price on ebay sucks. It got marked up many times.

I think it's just empty space in the box unless gillette is planning to put something else in the future.i paid Rs500/box Which is quite good compared the original 5pack and 5+2 pack price which was just under this.

I will use them at least 10 of them before settling on their sharpness.

We had another thread about these recently. Apparently Gillette is repurposing a tin that is typically used in schools in India to hold tools for a geometry class (compass, protractor, pencil, etc.) so it's just extra space. I'd have to look for the thread.

But the price on ebay sucks. It got marked up many times.

We know this is only about US$8 when you buy it in India, but postage from there to the US isn't free and there's no point for the Indian sellers to offer them if they don't make a profit. It's pretty well known that the 7 O'Clock super platinum is a premium blade. US buyers tend to expect to pay over $15 per 100 for premium gray market blades from anywhere in the eastern hemisphere. So if they're not much more than that then the price would be considered reasonable. I know some sellers are trying to get much more, but they won't get much business.

The high prices seem to be restricted to sellers who give you the tin. If we just want 100 blades in boxes, we can get those for under $15 per 100.

I actually have a pack of those in my stash of blades, but haven't gotten around to using them yet. Also, this is the first time I got them, so I really don't have anything to judge them against as far as how well they perform. I'll definitely try them and see how well they do.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

So I chucked the new blade out and put in one from the old 5 pack. First shave this morning, there is definitely a difference in shave. The old ones are much sharper and gives super smooth shave compared to the new one.

Will try the new blade again later this week and then old one again to see the difference.

I have been using the old ones for a while so when I used the new one to the first time I felt the difference. It could just be that the blades in one of the packet are mediocre so will pick from a new packet.

I really really hope that the new ones are as good as the old ones otherwise I will need to scoop up the old stick before it disappears. Funnily enough the shops in India are selling the old stock 5 or 5+2 packs for same price as the new 10 pack! Go figure!!

It is possible the salon pack blades are intended for single use.
Quite possibly but why they are only making saloon packs and not the ordinary packs? Unless barbers are their only market left now?

Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum Bulk Pack
In response to above posts about shaving milage from these Salon pucks. I have been made to understand that this is just a promotion phase and not likely to go beyond a point.
And yes they will not shave the same because there are no free lunches. I bought them at local MSRP knowing well that the Black's cannot fall from grace beyond a point and most likely not worse than Indian Greens.
Either way I use to get 4 shaves out of Blacks and 3 from Greens. So it kinda evens out for me.
I bought the Greens promotion pack as well and they turned out pretty cheap
https://www.amazon.in/Oclock-Gillet...p/B07B6VW5DG/ref=slow_banner_vo?ditchToofan=1

We had another thread about these recently. Apparently Gillette is repurposing a tin that is typically used in schools in India to hold tools for a geometry class (compass, protractor, pencil, etc.) so it's just extra space. I'd have to look for the thread.

We know this is only about US$8 when you buy it in India, but postage from there to the US isn't free and there's no point for the Indian sellers to offer them if they don't make a profit. It's pretty well known that the 7 O'Clock super platinum is a premium blade. US buyers tend to expect to pay over $15 per 100 for premium gray market blades from anywhere in the eastern hemisphere. So if they're not much more than that then the price would be considered reasonable. I know some sellers are trying to get much more, but they won't get much business.

The high prices seem to be restricted to sellers who give you the tin. If we just want 100 blades in boxes, we can get those for under $15 per 100.
Can you please share a place where I can get 100 7 O'clock Super Platinums for $15? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Never mind. I just found 100 for $14 on eBay. I've paid double that in the past (and the blades were worth it.)

Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum Bulk Pack
In response to above posts about shaving milage from these Salon pucks. I have been made to understand that this is just a promotion phase and not likely to go beyond a point.
And yes they will not shave the same because there are no free lunches. I bought them at local MSRP knowing well that the Black's cannot fall from grace beyond a point and most likely not worse than Indian Greens.
Either way I use to get 4 shaves out of Blacks and 3 from Greens. So it kinda evens out for me.
I bought the Greens promotion pack as well and they turned out pretty cheap
https://www.amazon.in/Oclock-Gillet...p/B07B6VW5DG/ref=slow_banner_vo?ditchToofan=1
You can keep your lunch. No one is asking for it.

I'm afraid to say that these blacks are definitely inferior to their previous version. Not enough longevity and sharpness So I will be using them for one shave max.

I do hope that this is a promotion only although doubt it very much. Time will tell. Hoping for others to chime in once the old stock is gone.

Top Bottom