What's new

Quality Denim/Blue Jeans

In the last 2 weeks or so I've lost 3 pairs of jeans due to defects. One pair was a pair of Levi's that I had worn less than 6 times and they developed a hole in the crotch. The other 2 pairs were Lucky Brand jeans where they developed holes on the top corners of the back pockets. The Lucky's were a little older, but not that old.

I wear jeans to work every day and I am very particular about my jeans where fit is concerned. That's basically due to having 24" quads without going to the gym...a blessing and a curse at the same time. As well as the feel of the denim. It seems like anymore a lot of denim feels like paper.

My question is: Does anyone have any recommendations on quality denim jeans?

I've looked at buying raw denim jeans, but 1) I cannot buy jeans without trying them on, 2) the cost of raw denim is insane, and 3) the care requirements for raw denim almost seems insane too. I like the fact that they break in according to the individual.

I've considered giving Carhartt jeans a try, I haven't found a pair of Wranglers I've liked yet, and I don't/want need jeans with flaps or a bunch of fancy embroidery on the back pockets.

I appreciate any input or suggestions.

I have always been partial to Levi 505s. They are reasonably priced at my local wholesale club and quite durable.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions. I will look into these!

I have always been partial to Levi 505s. They are reasonably priced at my local wholesale club and quite durable.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, 505's won't fit. As a teen I was a huge fan of Levi's Silvertab jeans, but they don't make them anymore. Now I'm pretty limited to the 559's or 569's. I've got to have room in the thighs. 505's or anything regular fit doesn't fit. I don't sag my jeans or wear ultra baggy jeans, but a regular fit jean is too tight in the thighs and crotch.

Rustlers. Cheap and long-lasting. We used to could wear regular jeans and work, and that was what I used. I have some old pairs where the pockets have worn out, but the pants material is still good. Walmart carries Rustlers, so you can try them on.

You might look at Filson (filson.com). They have very high quality IMO that merits the price.

Never heard of Folsom before and good Lord you weren’t joking about price; however, I didn’t see any jeans. Found some pants though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another interesting note- Cone Mills, the last US manufacturer of raw and selvedge denim, went out of business in Oct of 2017. It’s a damn shame to see a business that’s been around for over 100 years close its doors!

I grabbed a pair of Izod blue jeans at Costco.
Find I only wear blue jeans once per week max and usually only on cooler weekends with a flannel shirt when going to the kids ball games. My office is somewhere in between casual and work casual but I still don't wear jeans to work.

Never heard of Folsom before and good Lord you weren’t joking about price; however, I didn’t see any jeans. Found some pants though.

Their ‘five pocket’ pants are really jeans IMO. Every Filson product I have tried has been top-notch in quality.

Yeah, I think it’s about time I give Carhartt a try. There’s a few places that sell them locally so I will be able to try them on.

They won't be cheap but it sounds like you need some good jeans, not cheap ones. I normally just buy whatever is cheap at Wal-Mart but I only wear my jeans on the weekends and to and from work, so cheap jeans work fine for me.

I grew up with Levi 501s and loved them until they started being made in Mexico. I blew out 4 or 5 crotches within a year-18 months. the quality's just not there anymore.

the last pair of jeans I bought were Wrangler regular fit (pretty baggy actually) casual styled jeans (not any of the cowboy cuts).

I mostly wear canvas, cotton, or sporty/performance, carpenter inspired pants these days. I like having that thigh pocket to stick a phone in. Dickies, Kühl (pricy), EMS (Eastern Mountain Sport), whatever. Columbia used to make good ones back when. I do like having a diamond gusseted crotch for greater mobility and comfort. I'm not sure how many of those would fit your thighs though.

I’m a big guy. 6’ 285. I’ve always had problems with jeans. Used to wear Levi 569 until they changed them. Go to the Levi site and order a pair of 501 shrink to fit. Follow the directions on how to shrink them and you will be very pleased. There stiff and rigid at first but they soften as you wear them. Putting them on wet and letting them dry fit to your body is a little bit of a pain but it does make them fit perfect. You have to order them a little bigger in the waist because they will shrink down..the length not so much.

Top Bottom