What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just bought a Vintage Gem Micro Matic open comb and was curious on what Gem models you like the the best.
Lot's of newbies & seasoned shavers would like to know more information on these razors that made lots of shavers happy. The Vintage razors are built strong and have lasted many decades(some Century's) and is part of the American shaving community legacy.
Some nice looking Gem Razors.
Collection of Gems (2).jpg

I've got:
MMOC
G-Bar AKA Heavy Flat Bottom
'58 gold and black Push Button

I can honestly say I have no preference and enjoy each of them.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've got a Damaskeene, an 1912, an MMOC and an MMCP. I'm embarrassed to say that I've only used the MMOC so far, and while I'm still perfecting my technique, I've had nothing but 12-hour BBS shaves....it's a superb razor, and has supplanted my DEs for now. My plan is to spend at least a week with each of my Gems, then come back here with some thoughts/feedback.

For now, I can wholeheartedly recommend the MMOC. It's incredibly well made -- the smoothest TTO I have, and I have a few -- and it's both incredibly efficient and very smooth (with the right technique). Even though I'm still learning/dialing in my SE technique, the MMOC has never bitten me.

Sorry, lots of words, but not a lot of useful comparison info....I'm clearly in my Gem-fanboy stage :001_tt1:. I'll be watching this thread as it develops and I'll add my 2-cents once I've got some more Gem-based experience.

I have or had all the razors on your list except for the lather catcher, and the MMOC and MMCP are the best, even better than the Streamline that's not on your list. They're simply hard to beat.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have or had all the razors on your list except for the lather catcher, and the MMOC and MMCP are the best, even better than the Streamline that's not on your list. They're simply hard to beat.
Hello Rabidus, The survey had a limit on the amount of entry's and I maxed out. The streamline has a nice looking razor and I like the handle. How does that one shave and is it mild,middle or strong aggression?
slime line (2).jpg

Last edited:
Hello Rabidus, The survey had a limit on the amount of entry's and I maxed out. The streamline is a nice looking razor and I like the handle. How does that one shave and is it mild,middle or strong aggression?

I would say the Streamline is about on par with the MMCP. It weighs 20 grams more. The difference is that the Micromatic's lock down the blade tight, the Streamline and the other flip top GEMs still flex when I need that precise cutting action to get those stubborn stubble.

None of the GEMs are bad in any way, I'm use to a BBS shave that last about 20 hours, anything short of that is not worthy. I don't settle for anything less.

Depending on how coarse your beard is, you may not notice much of a difference between the MMOC, MMCP, or Streamline. For me, the Streamline fell short and is over hyped.

I found two Streamlines at an antique store here in the US last year and I got rid of them both with no regrets.

I have not tried every Gem, but after a dozen or so uses, I feel I could live without the featherweight. It is a fine shaver, but just doesn’t stand out like their earlier heavy metal razors. I’m not against it, but wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

The MMOC and the bullet tip hit it out if the park in the Gen territory. The ever ready razors especially the 1912 and the shovel head. The shovel head though is very big and clmuay to load a blade and shave - but gives a smooth shave !

IMO, the basic 1912 is one of the best safety razor designs ever. I refer here to the original (post-Damaskeene) Gem, Ever Ready and Star versions of the 1912, as well as the Gem Junior. The Damaskeene was the first of this family, but its curved top gives it a slightly more aggressive geometry (which of course some prefer) than the subsequent 1912s, so it shaves a bit differently. The basic 1912 was produced by American Safety Razor Corporation for more than four decades, which I think is a testament to its near-perfect design. For me, the 1912's combination of comfort and efficiency have perhaps been equaled but never really surpassed in the ensuing decades since its demise. The Gillette DE juggernaut eventually drove ASR out of business, and the Gem SE went the way of the Dodo, but IMO that had everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with superiority of product.

IMO, the basic 1912 is one of the best safety razor designs ever. I refer here to the original (post-Damaskeene) Gem, Ever Ready and Star versions of the 1912, as well as the Gem Junior. The Damaskeene was the first of this family, but its curved top gives it a slightly more aggressive geometry (which of course some prefer) than the subsequent 1912s, so it shaves a bit differently. The basic 1912 was produced by American Safety Razor Corporation for more than four decades, which I think is a testament to its near-perfect design. For me, the 1912's combination of comfort and efficiency have perhaps been equaled but never really surpassed in the ensuing decades since its demise. The Gillette DE juggernaut eventually drove ASR out of business, and the Gem SE went the way of the Dodo, but IMO that had everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with superiority of product.
+1

I broke out my GEM Jr Lather Catcher last week - I'd forgotten what a great razor it is, as good as any other on the list, and better than most. Surprisingly smooth and irritation-free shave for such a lightweight razor. The 1924, not on the list, is also a first-rate razor.

Top Bottom