What's new

Been smoking a lot of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic lately

Really like this blend, almost habit forming. And I don't usually like aromatics.

Lately I reach for it every time. I have to remind myself I have other tobacco blends to smoke, lots of English mostly. Smoked through three quarters of a tub in a month or so.

Virginia, Burley and an imported liquor topping.

Not that cheap either.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of that blend as well. Back when I had to drive to work, I'd smoke a bowl of it every morning during my commute. It just sort of hits the spot every time I light some up.

Me reads: "Been smoking a lot of Sir Walter Raleigh "
proxy.php

"Aromatic"

proxy.php

but seriously:
TobaccoReviews says it has an alcoholic topping? Can you identify it by any chance? Sounds interesting to me!

but seriously:
TobaccoReviews says it has an alcoholic topping? Can you identify it by any chance? Sounds interesting to me!

From SmokingPipes:

"Sir Walter Raleigh's Aromatic is a unique blend of aged tobaccos flavored with imported French and Dutch liqueurs for a rich aroma and a mellow, comfortable smoke."

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I picked up a pouch last night. Must be kinda old as it was very dry, and very lightly scented. Letting it rehydrate a little before I smoke.

I picked up a pouch last night. Must be kinda old as it was very dry, and very lightly scented. Letting it rehydrate a little before I smoke.

Scent / aroma should be strong. I can smell my tub immediately when I open it.

The pouches I bought were inside a plastic sealed package and also had a very strong aroma after opening.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would try it, but then I'm So Tired by the Beatles would be going through my head for the whole bowl. :)

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I love the regular, so I definitely want to try this. Sir Walter in my Peterson 307 system pipe is a perfect combo.

SWRA is a completely different blend from regular SWR. It is not SWR sprayed down with toppings. The only thing they share in common is the brand name.

It is not inexpensive per ounce (around $3). But in my opinion it punches way above its price point. It uses quality base leaf that you can actually taste. The three liquors they lightly top with are slightly sweet, slightly fruity, but never cloying. It will not ghost up your pipe unless you really binge on it, and even then, it is quickly excisable. If you keep a tub factory-sealed, it ages nicely without fade.

And the ladies positively LOVE its room note. Men, too.

I always have an open tub of SWRA on my pipe counter. It's one of the few aromatics I regularly smoke. The gentlemen in our piping group to whom I have given partial tubs of it smoke it up like pigs at the trough.

Try a fresh pouch. You'll like it.

Terrific stuff! SWRA is always a good smoke for me. Especially good when I just want some smoke without much thinking involved.

In my opinion, it's the best of the American Drugstore Codger blends. But, I have to say, I've found something to like about almost every tobacco I've ever tried. After all, somebody thought it tasted good enough to offer for sale! I have read a lot of fairly negative reviews for some of these venerable blends -- Mixture 79 is a good example. I was curious enough about it to obtain a pouch but I doubt that I will buy another, still, it was good. I will finish what I have and be glad I tried it. SWRA is an entirely different thing -- I really like to keep it on hand, and the recent kerfuffle about Carter Hall and Prince Albert scarcity has got me nervous!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Terrific stuff! SWRA is always a good smoke for me. Especially good when I just want some smoke without much thinking involved.

In my opinion, it's the best of the American Drugstore Codger blends. But, I have to say, I've found something to like about almost every tobacco I've ever tried. After all, somebody thought it tasted good enough to offer for sale! I have read a lot of fairly negative reviews for some of these venerable blends -- Mixture 79 is a good example. I was curious enough about it to obtain a pouch but I doubt that I will buy another, still, it was good. I will finish what I have and be glad I tried it. SWRA is an entirely different thing -- I really like to keep it on hand, and the recent kerfuffle about Carter Hall and Prince Albert scarcity has got me nervous!

You have a kind and generous perspective. I like it. Happy puffs to you!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Really like this blend, almost habit forming. And I don't usually like aromatics.

Lately I reach for it every time. I have to remind myself I have other tobacco blends to smoke, lots of English mostly. Smoked through three quarters of a tub in a month or so.

Virginia, Burley and an imported liquor topping.

Not that cheap either.
I’ve been smoking it a lot lately myself. Also enjoying Granger very much.

Bought some and tried it in my Peterson 307 pipe this past Saturday. Great stuff, though I couldn't tell much difference between the aromatic and the regular on first acquaintance. But both smoke very well in the System pipe.

Top Bottom