What's new

4711 AS

The last time I smelled 4711 may well have been the late 1960s. I just order a bottle of the aftershave to reacquaint myself. It's been popular for a long time, hopefully for good reason. Suggested pairings and all opinions welcome.

I received one recently as a gift.

Highly subjective of course, but to my nose and for my skin, scent and performance are both "m'eh".
There's nothing really that's horribly wrong with it, but for me, it is not the one I would buy again.

Scent to me is nice and refreshing, definitely better for warm weather. Doesn't last all that long.
Performance isn't anything exciting, I think it sticks to the old-school type of formula and doesn't have the skin goodies that a lot of top-tier splashes have nowadays.
To me it pairs well with any soaps in the citrus, 'colonia', or even grassy spectrum.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
4711 will always have a place in my rotation, it works for me! Scent is a refreshing and natural unisex blend that has been around for centuries, a nostalgic reminder for me and many folks, I imagine.

full

4711 will always have a place in my rotation, it works for me! Scent is a refreshing and natural unisex blend that has been around for centuries, a nostalgic reminder for me and many folks, I imagine.

full
Thanks Doug, nostalgia is increasingly becoming my "safe place", and few things trigger it as quickly as the sense of smell.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks Doug, nostalgia is increasingly becoming my "safe place", and few things trigger it as quickly as the sense of smell.

And by all means, get the Eau de Cologne -- it's a bargain in the large size!

I was lucky enough to visit them on Glockengasse about 10 years ago.
full

The distinctive bottle of the cologne is what I remember. I purchased it in the PX at Kelly Barracks in Stuttgart in 66 or 67., it stood next to my dop kit in my wall locker. Long ago and far away.

I love the stuff. I usually use it after I've used a Lavender or similarly scented soap or cream. IMO it pairs quite nicely with Martin de Candre. I find that it is also quite good after a traditional soap such as Cade by L'Occitane.

Hope this gives you another perspective.

I love the stuff. I usually use it after I've used a Lavender or similarly scented soap or cream. IMO it pairs quite nicely with Martin de Candre. I find that it is also quite good after a traditional soap such as Cade by L'Occitane.

Hope this gives you another perspective.
Thanks eezee, those are two of my favorite soaps and I've been looking for an AS that would pair well with them. Good news!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My mom always carried a small bottle of 4711 and some hankie in her purse.
I do not recall how many times my face and hands were wiped with it when we were not at home, and a bathroom was not always around to wash me off. For some 50+ years, I really did not like the scent, but now I sometimes sniff on my bottle just for the memories of my very early youth....

I do not recall how many times my face and hands were wiped with it when we were not at home, and a bathroom was not always around to wash me off. For some 50+ years, I really did not like the scent, but now I sometimes sniff on my bottle just for the memories of my very early youth....
HaHa, thanks for sharing that charming memory Rudy. My mom had a hankie that smelled of her perfume in her purse, she would wet it on her tongue and go to work on me with it....remember it well

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
HaHa, thanks for sharing that charming memory Rudy. My mom had a hankie that smelled of her perfume in her purse, she would wet it on her tongue and go to work on me with it....remember it well
Oh, yeah, the spit wipe....still shudder when I think about them....my wife freaks out when I tease her with this, her mom did it all the time to her.

GREAT STORY!! Thanks for sharing! :a14::a14:

It arrived yesterday, and I used it last night. This will work out very well for me, a light fresh scent that doesn't linger, right in my wheelhouse. I'm really glad I tried it, it's another keeper. Thanks for the feedback fellas!!

Top Bottom