What's new

Bison/Ezra Arthur Shell Cordovan or Kanayama?

So, I've got SR's coming in from all over the world (Japan, Romania, & now Australia) & I've got a coticule coming from Belgium. Now I need a strop and have always been of the mindset, "Do it right the first time so you don't have to worry about it later".

That being said and being new to SR shaving (I've already mentally prepared myself to spend the money) - I'm trying to decide between a Shell Cordovan Strop or a Kanayama. If I went with a Kanayama the 30K seems to be the "preferred" one from what I read.

Thoughts on one over the other or does it all boil down to user preference?

Thank you for your time and any input/opinions you're willing to provide.

~Badger Sends

Ok, so " do it right the first time" does not apply to strops. You will nick and cut your first strop. No matter how careful you are, your inexperience will lead to an unexpected flip of the razor and without you knowing it, your razor will slice your beautiful strop. It happens to everyone and in an instant.

As a first strop, I would recommend a Tony Miller plain strop. Very highly quality and inexpensive enough to not mind ruining. Plain chocolate or vanilla is your choice. I like 3" as you don't have to learn an X stroke.

In a few months when you're done shredding your TM strop, go ahead and splurge on a high end cordovan strop. I love my Westholme Cordovan/linen strop with crocodile handles. I can't imagine the sleepless nights if I were to slice it.

Ok, so " do it right the first time" does not apply to strops. You will nick and cut your first strop. No matter how careful you are, your inexperience will lead to an unexpected flip of the razor and without you knowing it, your razor will slice your beautiful strop. It happens to everyone and in an instant.

As a first strop, I would recommend a Tony Miller plain strop. Very highly quality and inexpensive enough to not mind ruining. Plain chocolate or vanilla is your choice. I like 3" as you don't have to learn an X stroke.

In a few months when you're done shredding your TM strop, go ahead and splurge on a high end cordovan strop. I love my Westholme Cordovan/linen strop with crocodile handles. I can't imagine the sleepless nights if I were to slice it.

@azwetshaver - makes perfect sense! Thank you for the input and suggestions. I will run with that as you're more than right and I'd hate to destroy a 200+ dollar strop! This is why I ask questions; I'm new to the process and something like that didn't even cross my mind.

I appreciate your time and response! Thank you

What's cool is the Tony Miller is a great strop. If you are lucky to not cut it up ,it will be used as much as the high end strop later. I have a few strops that I rotate. They all act differently but do the same job. Good luck

@azwetshaver - last question before I order: steer hide or bridle? What's your suggestion?
I would do the plain chocolate. They run $55, not the rough out. If you read the description, it's the same leather as the more expensive heirloom strops. The difference is cosmetic. The less expensive strops may have a natural range mark or some type of imperfection. I have a few TM strops and his hielroom strops are perfect, absolutely beautiful. On his plain strop, I can not find any imperfection. The fast bridle will also have a lighter draw in my experience. This is personal preference, so that could be a good or bad thing.

As stated above it's a good idea not to start out with a top of the line strop. Even so I'd like to give you an answer to your question regarding Bison or Kanayama. They are both good so it's a matter of personal preferences. My personal preferences can be seen in the photograph below. I bought both strops at about the same time. The Kanayama has some very minor signs of being used. The originally light beige Bison Cordovan strop is heavily stained from the steel being rubbed off during the last 1000 or so stropping sessions.

20181105_194950.jpg

I'm with @azwetshaver on "do not do it right the first time" when it comes to strops, but would go against his advice on "chocolate" as it will show more wear especially as someone who is new to stropping.

@Polarbeard I purchased original Bison valet in that same colour. 5 years later, and it's still looking amazing, they indeed make top notch products, hopefully quality is unchanged with change of ownership.

I would do the plain chocolate. They run $55, not the rough out. If you read the description, it's the same leather as the more expensive heirloom strops. The difference is cosmetic. The less expensive strops may have a natural range mark or some type of imperfection. I have a few TM strops and his hielroom strops are perfect, absolutely beautiful. On his plain strop, I can not find any imperfection. The fast bridle will also have a lighter draw in my experience. This is personal preference, so that could be a good or bad thing.

It looks like I will be waiting a while, he doesn't have any up at the moment. Thanks again for your time and information, I appreciate it!

As stated above it's a good idea not to start out with a top of the line strop. Even so I'd like to give you an answer to your question regarding Bison or Kanayama. They are both good so it's a matter of personal preferences. My personal preferences can be seen in the photograph below. I bought both strops at about the same time. The Kanayama has some very minor signs of being used. The originally light beige Bison Cordovan strop is heavily stained from the steel being rubbed off during the last 1000 or so stropping sessions.

View attachment 925781

Nice strops! In due time I see myself in the same predicament. How did you decide to go with the 50K over the rest?

I'm with @azwetshaver on "do not do it right the first time" when it comes to strops, but would go against his advice on "chocolate" as it will show more wear especially as someone who is new to stropping.

Thanks Bbb! Makes sense, but is that a personal preference or is there any sort of performance issues that may arise because of this? Sounds like a ridiculous question, but again, I'm new at this and trying to learn at the same time. Thanks again!

Thanks Bbb! Makes sense, but is that a personal preference or is there any sort of performance issues that may arise because of this? Sounds like a ridiculous question, but again, I'm new at this and trying to learn at the same time. Thanks again!

I don't see how it would be a performance issue at all. I was thinking more in terms of scratching it a bit even with the spine, or making small nicks in it, dark strop will show more. Honestly, it's not a big deal either way, it's your first strop, and chances are it'll get damaged at some point. Just get what you like the most, but try not to get too attached to this one. :D :D :D

I was able to score a Tony Miller strop and a Filarmonica razor from eBay today for 37$. It looks like it was the owners first strop too.

The razor has some chips in the blade so it may or may not be salvageable. I was primarily after the strop.

We’ll see when it arrives.
proxy.php

If what I posted is the worst of the damage then it should be in pretty good working order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like I will be waiting a while, he doesn't have any up at the moment. Thanks again for your time and information, I appreciate it!

Nice strops! In due time I see myself in the same predicament. How did you decide to go with the 50K over the rest?

I got the 50000 simply because it was the only one I could find within the EU at the time.

Top Bottom