What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes! it has officially been binned without references!
giphy (8).gif

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 923135

You need this brush. Link. The photo above is of the brand new brush.

View attachment 923136

See how well it goes with the Joris? Also with MdC for that matter.
It does go very well with the Joris...and, gulp, MdC. The thing is I have these two synthetic brushes on the way:
download.jpg
download (1).jpg

It may be the best of both worlds having a synthetic imitation 24mm boar knot and a 22mm Plisson type synthetic imitation badger knot. What happens if I find I like them better than my boars and badgers? What happens then? What if I find my spirit animal was really a dinosaur after all (being petroleum based)? These questions and more will be answered shortly.

That Omega piggie brush sure looks sharp though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It does go very well with the Joris...and, gulp, MdC. The thing is I have these two synthetic brushes on the way:
View attachment 923817 View attachment 923818
It may be the best of both worlds having a synthetic imitation 24mm boar knot and a 22mm Plisson type synthetic imitation badger knot. What happens if I find I like them better than my boars and badgers? What happens then? What if I find my spirit animal was really a dinosaur after all (being petroleum based)? These questions and more will be answered shortly.

That Omega piggie brush sure looks sharp though.

Backbone.Dino..jpeg

Well, I know a home for a certain Manchurian to which the dinosaurs lent body parts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I mowed through 72 hours growth smooth and clean. There was absolutely no tugging with the Derby blade, and the result was bbs and dfs on my neck. There was little to no feedback when I applied aftershave splash.

A Derby Extra, pre 2016 version, on shave #6 with 72 hours growth.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-jack-nicholson-laughing.png

I couldnt understand why so many dislike this blade so much. Then I tried it in my R41 and understood lol.

After an hour or two the wild rose scent faded as well which is good. Not that I don't love the scent, I just don't like to wear scents all day. Cyril R Salter is definitely a mainstay and definitely one of my top tier soaps/creams.

I agree an hour or so is enough. Glad to hear it too. I cant remember if you have the Wickhams Rose or not Rave, if you do, how would you compare the two in scent and performance?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
A Derby Extra, pre 2016 version, on shave #6 with 72 hours growth.

:w00t:

I couldnt understand why so many dislike this blade so much. Then I tried it in my R41 and understood lol.
I'm still not understanding why so many people dislike Derby Extra. I haven't tried it in anything other than a rigid razor. I suspect I could get a fine shave with it in my Merkurs. Maybe it's one of those blades where if revisited it one's perception might change?

I agree an hour or so is enough. Glad to hear it too. I cant remember if you have the Wickhams Rose or not Rave, if you do, how would you compare the two in scent and performance?
I don't have Wickhams 1912 Rose scent. I do have a sample of WK Rose scent which I haven't tried yet. The rose scent is there in the WK. I don't know what the heck they were thinking? To me it smells funky as you know. They did something to ruin the rose scent that is there.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Joris Palladium Engraved
Blade: Derby Extra (7)
Brush: Whipped Dog HMB
Soap: Cyril R Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash
rsz_030.jpg

I had another very fine smooth and comfortable shave today. The Derby blade continues to be very smooth with no tugging on shave 7. It has not lost any of its cutting ability and my shave was bbs and dfs just like I like it. It was definitely Fatip/Joris quality long lasting shave.

I really am loving CRS Wild Rose. The scent is fantastic, and the post shave feel is silky smooth. I love this cream. Forget TOBS which I'm finding to be overrated imo. My two favorite creams are CRS and Proraso Single Blade Wood and Spice. Of those two CRS performs better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:w00t:

I'm still not understanding why so many people dislike Derby Extra. I haven't tried it in anything other than a rigid razor. I suspect I could get a fine shave with it in my Merkurs. Maybe it's one of those blades where if revisited it one's perception might change?

I don't have Wickhams 1912 Rose scent. I do have a sample of WK Rose scent which I haven't tried yet. The rose scent is there in the WK. I don't know what the heck they were thinking? To me it smells funky as you know. They did something to ruin the rose scent that is there.

Wickham rose is much nicer to my way of smelling. The WK rose was too much or something.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (8)
Brush: TGN High Mountain White
rsz_023.jpg

I had a pretty good shave today on day eight with a Derby Extra blade. It didn't tug, but it did feel a tad rougher. I had to mind my technique and use a very light touch. Still the results were impressive. I would say it was a dfs due to the lighter touch and backing off on clean up some.

What can I say about CRS Wild Rose? I simply love it! :001_wub:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (9)
Brush: Fatip Pure Badger
rsz_025.jpg

Today's shave was great on day 9 with a Derby Extra paired with my Joris. It was bbs and dfs on my neck. The blade seems to have smoothed out from yesterdays shave, or perhaps I have smoothed out lol! That's the thing, can a blade be rougher on day eight and then smooth out again on day nine? We always seem to credit the blade for this phenomena. In reality I think it may well be the operator. Taking this blade to day ten should be easy. It's only one more shave right? The way it feels now I don't think I will have shaved it out, but my rule is ten and out for blades as I switch razors.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's the thing, can a blade be rougher on day eight and then smooth out again on day nine?

The Polsilver I used for 20 shaves became a little harsh on shave 8 and again on shave 12 I think. From there it stayed smooth to 20.

I havent felt a Derby become harsh, but they sure tug for me on shave 5.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The Polsilver I used for 20 shaves became a little harsh on shave 8 and again on shave 12 I think. From there it stayed smooth to 20.

I haven't felt a Derby become harsh, but they sure tug for me on shave 5.
It being harsh I think is on me. I may have started my first pass a little more heavy handed. Then I lightened up. I'm surprised there is no tug yet by your indications. I do have a full face of old guy beard stubble. It may be counter to what some say, but I feel shaving daily (I mostly do except weekends) may be easier on a blade? It also may be that my Joris is a 110gms? I'm not sure? I don't apply any more pressure than I do with my lighter razors I think? The one thing I'm finding is that the Derby Extra is a fine blade, again contrary to a lot of opinions, and is a good value for the dollar. I'm very pleased bringing it to ten shaves to see that it is capable of doing so for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Weight makes a difference. Its pretty noticeable to me between my Grande and my Single Ring. My Grande is a far easier shave because of the weight and momentum.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (10)
Brush: Panta Rei Silvertip
rsz_020.jpg

What a great way to finish off the week. It was my best shave of the week. I finished day ten with my Derby Extra. There was still no tugging, and the result was a bbs and dfs on my neck. This is a long lasting shave as far as closeness. Yay! I shaved ten and out with this Derby Extra. :001_smile There is still life left in this blade, but my rule is ten and out.

I'm going to miss CRS Wild Rose as I switch things up. Next week I may use PannaCrema Nuavia Verde or SV Felce Aromatica next. The Felce Aromatica is my least favorite scented SV soap. I will use my Fatip Testina Gentile paired with a Polsilver. For brushes I will use my new Omega S10065 and my Maggards 22mm Plisson style knot synthetic. I will use the synthetics for the foreseeable future until I get really good with them. For an aftershave I will use, for the first time, Osage Rub as an aftershave.

Last edited:
I finished day ten with my Derby Extra. There was still no tugging, and the result was a bbs and dfs on my neck. This is a long lasting shave as far as closeness. Yay! I shaved ten and out with this Derby Extra. :001_smile There is still life left in this blade, but my rule is ten and out.
:001_rolle All this talk about Derby Extras is making me think I should try one. :letterk1: :laugh:

I have several packs that have come as freebies along with other shaving goods.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
:001_rolle All this talk about Derby Extras is making me think I should try one. :letterk1: :laugh:

I have several packs that have come as freebies along with other shaving goods.
They are not my favorite blade by a long shot, but I do find them comfortable, smooth, and all right. They are not as bad of a blade as they are often touted to be. I'd give it a go! :1eye:

Top Bottom