What's new

Fine American Blend sample smells like gasoline to a newbie

I'm an AS newbie. I only started wearing it very recently and have only tried Clubman Bay Rum and Nivea's balm. I've been wetshaving for years though.

Got a sample of Fine American Blend today. Smelled terrific from the bottle. Loved the menthol warmth on my face. However, just a minute later I can't smell much except for a faint scent of gasoline.

Is this what others smell?

I dont really smell anything from it. Id bought it thinking it smelt like classic Old Spice and I certainly didnt get that from it.

Gasoline?? Interesting (as we all have different noses).

For me AB is in the ‘barbershop’ category and a very pleasant scent!

From the bottle I smell mostly alcohol and menthol, with a slight Barbasol-like hint of scent.

Once applied the full, in you face, Barbershop freshness kicks in; super clean, super fresh, lasts all day! Easily in my top 5 AS scents.

I've had several different Fine Samples and they all smelled full and strong as in the regular product. American Blend is supposed to be a clone of Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche. The cologne supposedly smells like shaving cream. I've never tried it. But I do have the soap and a can of Barbasol and they smell the same to me. American Blend is much more room filling. I do remember a review of AB claiming it duplicated the propellant in a Barbasol can. Maybe that's what you're smellng?

I love this AS! Bought 3 bottles in case they go and change the formula like the soaps seem to do quite oftento revamp their formula. Good thing? IDK!
Greg B.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't get a gas smell at all. I get a faint alcohol smell when I first apply it, but that fades quickly and I am left with an amazing scent that lasts for hours. As @Strayhair pointed out, it smells very close to Rive Gauche.

reminds me of the days I first started. I think it was the Proraso lines; a few other people on the forum were going on about something they just couldn't name about the odor they noticed. Immediately (to me) I'm smelling tobacco and saying so loudly. Now? it's a feature! Good luck, and wishing you an enjoyable journey developing your "nose" to the landscapes of the shaving products fragrances.

Try Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal.

One of the great classic aftershaves. The subtle scent of fresh spring lilacs.

I have not smelled anything other than a fresh, barbershop scent from Fine AB. Everyone's noses are different, but I suppose a skunky bottle is also a possibility.

M

Member 113878

Probably just olfactory illusion.
Different people can smell the same things in a different way.
Sense of smell is all chemical, if I understand well.

Damn.... i'm going to order it now to see what everyone is talking about. Not everyone....Greg B.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just got mine and the wife didn’t like the scent when she smelled the bottle! But after I shaved and used it she was complimenting the scent hours later! It is much better when applied!

I just got mine and the wife didn’t like the scent when she smelled the bottle! But after I shaved and used it she was complimenting the scent hours later! It is much better when applied!

The lady has great taste (obviously)!! :austin1:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Unleaded or regular?
lol
Ymmv
but never a gas smell for me.
Maybe your getting the menthol or alcohol snell?

Last edited:
Top Bottom