What's new

Brut experiment

Thanks to the great info of one of our fellow members, I learned recently that vintage Brut contains two important ingredients, sadly missing from today's formulation: Oakmoss absolute and Nitro Musk (or Musk Ketone).

I went onto Perfumer's Apprentice and was able to order these two ingredients for about $7.00 plus shipping. I am going to attempt to add them to a new bottle of Brut Classic to see if they will restore it to the way it smelled when Faberge made the original. Wouldn't it be great if a few drops of inexpensive scent could bring back the character of the vintage version that everyone loves? They arrive tomorrow and I will keep everyone in the loop of whether the experiment worked or not. Wish me luck!

Thank you, Kristian! I have a lot of hope this will work, then we can have an endless supply. If not, well I'll have at least a little to enjoy!

No prob! Glad to do it..have just been tied up with work or I would have got it out sooner.

I have read about adding the oakmoss..from what I've seen..the OA is STRONG stuff..and I have seen where even a pinhead's worth dot can overpower a mix..and making a tincture of a tincture seems to be the way to go..

No prob! Glad to do it..have just been tied up with work or I would have got it out sooner.

I have read about adding the oakmoss..from what I've seen..the OA is STRONG stuff..and I have seen where even a pinhead's worth dot can overpower a mix..and making a tincture of a tincture seems to be the way to go..
Thank you. I used to have the absolute and it is basically a thick black ooze. It was really tough to use but it smelled wonderful. This time I bought 10% tincture. Hopefully it'll just be ready to go, but I will be careful. Gonna get a bottle of $6.00 Classic to try out first in case it goes wrong

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Great Scent that Brut , so if you had never smelled the old Brut would the new stuff
be ok with you ?

Well the ingredients went into the Brut Classic today. I think it takes about a week for the molecules to blend together or whatever, so In will report back. Then I will compare it with the vintage.

Awesome. I can't wait to hear the results. If it works, can you let us know what ingredients to buy and the amounts used? Kristen said just a touch I think.

Welp, I sent the vintage sample out yesterday, so the test batch will have a few days to stew LOL:D

Heck, you may find you'll need to add other oils/scents/notes to beef it up once you experience a full wear of the 70's stuff...

Welp, I sent the vintage sample out yesterday, so the test batch will have a few days to stew LOL:D

Heck, you may find you'll need to add other oils/scents/notes to beef it up once you experience a full wear of the 70's stuff...
Well, after 24 hours, the additives have done...something to it. But I think my oakmoss may be the wrong kind. It doesn't smell like the other stuff I had. It's kind of acrid, not sweet like how my vintage Hai Karate and Canoe smell. I guess I can compare when I get the control. But my prediction is I may need to order another.

Top Bottom