What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yep me too. I have zero desire to use either my boar or badger. My synthetic is like DE to SE, no contest.
La,la,la,la,la
giphy.gif

This is a bit the reverse for me. I started with synthetic brushes. I have used 3 different ones so far and have kept just one, a big Bruce brush . It is so easy to make lather out of them. . I think a user just need a synth brush and that says it all. Still I have ordered a Yaqi horse synth brush.

I bought a badger brush and it was not as I expected. It is a great feeling on my face but I found out that I need to buy several brushes to find the one to my preference. Something that I would love to avoid.

At current stage I find boar brushes a lot more satisfying than the rest. A soft broken boar brush with backbone is really really fantastic for me. I have a boar brush like that fortunately.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm switching up Proraso Green Splash tomorrow for my new 300ml bottle of Furbo Blu. At first sniff I thought the scent was to strong, but it's really beginning to grow on me.
rsz_002-2.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Joris Palladium Engraved
Blade: Derby Extra (1)
Brush: Omega 10065
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Aftershave: Furbo Blue
rsz_037.jpg

Today's shave can only be described as beautiful. The Derby Extra blade paired with my Joris seems to be a perfect combination, or at least miles better than I thought it would be. VS Cosmo scent is subtle but complex. It has a citrus grapefruit scent and if you concentrate the smell of coffee with undertones of Vetiver and Sandalwood. It was very slick like SV is, and the shave on 72 hours of growth with a Derby Extra was incredibly smooth. At some points in the shave I couldn't even hear the blade cutting. The result was bbs and dfs on my neck with no feed back from Furbo Blu aftershave splash which is alcohol heavy imo. The jury is still out on the scent of Furbo Blu. I like the scent just that it is a aftershave/cologne which I didn't know.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Blade: Derby Extra (1)
Brush: Omega 10065
View attachment 921916
Today's shave can only be described as beautiful. The Derby Extra blade paired with my Joris seems to be a perfect combination, or at least miles better than I thought it would be. VS Cosmo scent is subtle but complex. It has a citrus grapefruit scent and if you concentrate the smell of coffee with undertones of Vetiver and Sandalwood. It was very slick like SV is, and the shave on 72 hours of growth with a Derby Extra was incredibly smooth. At some points in the shave I couldn't even hear the blade cutting. The result was bbs and dfs on my neck with no feed back from Furbo Blu aftershave splash which is alcohol heavy imo. The jury is still out on the scent of Furbo Blu. I like the scent just that it is a aftershave/cologne which I didn't know.

Try a Derby Extra in one of your Merkurs or even an R41 sometime Rave. Before you finish the first stroke you'll understand the difference in razors. They work well in the NEW SC too.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (2)
Brush: Omega 81052
rsz_036.jpg

I had another fantastic shave using my Joris and Derby Extra. It was as smooth and close a shave in my Joris as I get using other brands of blades. I'm really loving SV Cosmo shaving soap. It has the slickness of a tallow without the feeling of animal fat. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike tallow soaps and use them. They just have a different feel which doesn't mean a superior or inferior performance. They both do the job equally, and a top tier vegetal soap can stand with any tallow. Right now I know there are many who staunchly disagree, but then they probably wished there was an artisan soap called bacon grease lol.

Side note: The jury is in on Furbo Blu Aftershave. It has to go. 16 hours later I could still catch wafts of the scent. That's way too strong for any scent. It's a shame really because it really works very well in the post shave department.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Don't get me wrong I don't dislike tallow soaps and use them. They just have a different feel which doesn't mean a superior or inferior performance. They both do the job equally, and a top tier vegetal soap can stand with any tallow. Right now I know there are many who staunchly disagree, but then they probably wished there was an artisan soap called bacon grease lol.

I can feel the difference and I dont have a preference for one over the other either. Both are good and both are different

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Try a Derby Extra in one of your Merkurs or even an R41 sometime Rave. Before you finish the first stroke you'll understand the difference in razors. They work well in the NEW SC too.
Is that a double dog dare? I may throw one in my 34c at some point. I'd hate to be let down. I'm really loving them in my Fatips/Joris OC razors.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Is that a double dog dare? I may throw one in my 34c at some point. I'd hate to be let down. I'm really loving them in my Fatips/Joris OC razors.

The difference in rigidity will be immediately apparent between your 34C or R41 and your Fatip/Joris.

I'd bet you change razors before the shave is finished :tongue_sm lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (3)
Brush: Omega 21762
Aftershave: Proraso Splash (Green)
rsz_033.jpg

I had a very good shave today, and I'm so happy I binned the Furbo Blu. I gave it to my stepson who absolutely loves the scent. Proraso Green splash is awesome and I welcomed it like an old friend. The Derby blade on shave three is still smooth and rendered a bbs and dfs easily in my Joris. This was my first use with my Omega 21762. It's bigger than I like, but it did not seem product intensive. The soap seemed to stay in the tips and upper part of the brush. It is also a fairly floppy brush and good for painting lather lol. It's my least favorite Omega, and in most of my boar rotations I'll use my Mighty Midget in its stead. The MM is just miles above the 21762. The 21762 is Italian flag cool though.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (4)
Brush: Omega 10066
rsz_031.jpg

This was my best shave of the week using my Joris and Derby Extra, as if it couldn't get any better. It was smooth, efficient, and the results were bbs and dfs on neck with no irritation. A thanks goes out to @Esox for encouraging me to revisit Derby Extra. I will continue to visit this blade more often in my Fatip OC heads. SV Cosmo is wonderful. It's a bit weak on the scent, but it's SV in performance!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A thanks goes out to @Esox for encouraging me to revisit Derby Extra. I will continue to visit this blade more often in my Fatip OC heads.

It really is a good blade, but like I've said, they need a rigid platform to get the most from. You'll understand that as soon as you put one in your 'other' razors. :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (5)
Brush: Omega 10810
rsz_041.jpg

I had a very nice shave to end the week. It wasn't as good as yesterday's shave. The Derby had no tug to it though. This weekend I'll clean my Joris and flip the Derby blade for next week. I will use my yet untried Cyril R Salter Wild Rose and will have reports. The aftershave I'll use will be Figaro Monsieur Gold.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Derby Extra (6)
Brush: EJ Badger medium super
Soap: Cyril R Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash
rsz_027.jpg

Today, I had a most excellent shave on day six of my Derby blade Joris combination. I mowed through 72 hours growth smooth and clean. There was absolutely no tugging with the Derby blade, and the result was bbs and dfs on my neck. There was little to no feedback when I applied aftershave splash.

@Esox I used Cyril R Salter Wild Rose today. I opened the tub of the cream and the Wild Rose scent was understated. I applied an almond sized dollop to my EJ badger brush. As soon as I started to work the lather up it activated the Wild Rose scent. The scent bloomed nicely and filled the room and was very present. It is a very natural rose scent which I like. CRS cream is a very nice rich not overly thick lather, and a little of it goes a long way. It is also a very slick cream and can hold its own with any other soap or cream for a vegetal. It has very good residual slickness, and the post shave feel was silky smooth. I applied Figaro Monsieur Gold splash. The scent of the splash overpowered the rose scent which was still present after shaving. Then the notes of the rose started coming through again. FMG splash has a nice strong powdery scent but it dissipates rather quickly which I like. Fortunately, the CRS Wild Rose scent is a good match for that aftershave. After an hour or two the wild rose scent faded as well which is good. Not that I don't love the scent, I just don't like to wear scents all day. Cyril R Salter is definitely a mainstay and definitely one of my top tier soaps/creams.

Top Bottom