What's new

A good starter boar brush?

I've been wet shaving for about 5 years, and have used my Edwin Jagger badger and, more recently, a tuxedo synthetic from AP Shave Co. I primarily face lather my soft soaps, and from time to time swirl up some cream from TOBS or even some Barbasol, or a mix of both.

If I were to try a boar brush without having to expend a lot of $$$, what kind should I start with? I see Omegas and Semogues are highly regarded here.

1) Is there a model with reasonably short-ish bristles that won't get lather all over my sink?

2) I'd like a wooden handle. Semogue 1470?

3) How long do I have to soak it when I first get it, to get most of the smell out? (Is the smell really that bad? Some folks here complain about the "stench" of Tabac soap, but I like it.) And how long until the brush is "broken in" (I presume that means the smell is gone and the bristles don't scrape you)?

4) I usually soak my brush in my scuttle, warm or cold water, while I shower. Will that be enough prep?

5) Apparently a boar takes a while to dry compared to a synthetic or a badger. I shave usually about 6 times a week. Could I expect to use it perhaps 1-2x a week?

My favorite is the Semogue 610. In wood handle the 1470 or 1250 or 1305 are popular. Omega makes nice ones, also. None will set you back much $. Short loft means about 50mm. Check Maggard site for specs.

Every other day is fine. And I only wet the tips, BTW.

A boar will take some time to break in.

I've been wet shaving for about 5 years, and have used my Edwin Jagger badger and, more recently, a tuxedo synthetic from AP Shave Co. I primarily face lather my soft soaps, and from time to time swirl up some cream from TOBS or even some Barbasol, or a mix of both.

If I were to try a boar brush without having to expend a lot of $$$, what kind should I start with? I see Omegas and Semogues are highly regarded here.

1) Is there a model with reasonably short-ish bristles that won't get lather all over my sink?

My first Boar brush was an Omega, the huge plastic handled one, and I feel is too big for me. And too stiff as well.

Never tried that one, but I can vouch for the Excelsior 830. Although, for the looks of it only, the 1305 looks like it has the same knot as the 830.

3) How long do I have to soak it when I first get it, to get most of the smell out? (Is the smell really that bad? Some folks here complain about the "stench" of Tabac soap, but I like it.) And how long until the brush is "broken in" (I presume that means the smell is gone and the bristles don't scrape you)?

I also love Tabac. Is one of my favorite soaps, and scent. As for breaking in, I can say that the Omega never really broke in. After over 5 months of use is still the most uncomfortable brush that I have. And I even donated it to my son for a while, and he used it regularly, and still never broke in. Is now in storage.

Now, my Semogue broke in really fast, in fact, I was able to use it very comfortable from day one. I'll happily get another Semogue boar brush for this same reason.

4) I usually soak my brush in my scuttle, warm or cold water, while I shower. Will that be enough prep?

More than enough. I usually soak it a couple minutes and it performs great every time.

5) Apparently a boar takes a while to dry compared to a synthetic or a badger. I shave usually about 6 times a week. Could I expect to use it perhaps 1-2x a week?

I use it one shave in between, that way I'll give it enough time to dry properly. I recommend you to do the same.

I have tried the Omega and the Semogue. For me, the Omega has more scritch and backbone. The Semogues I tried were softer, but had less backbone and too much splay. I kept the Omega. Both brushes can be had for a reasonable price.

Boar doesn’t smell too bad. Horse hair smells much worse. I have a mug with Williams in it for break in. Lather the new brush in the mug of Williams and let it sit in the mug while shaving. Lather and shave with another brush. Rinse and put away the new brush with your other kit. After a week, there shouldn’t be any boar funk left.

I would suggest a Proraso Boar brush. 55 mm loft. Or a Mondial boar brush.

img_20181022_221733-picsay-jpg.923049

Wood doesn't work well with water, but this is your choice. Mine are all resin handles.

My Mondial boar brush can be used really well after 3-4 shaves. A proraso boar brush, took me about 3 months.

Yes. You will find out that you can control the backbone of the boar brush by the time that the brush was left in the water.

It depends on your weather conditions. My boar brushes need between 24-48 hours.

The smell that lingers on shaving brushes, either boar or badger, isn't something that's easily removed from just soaking the brush. The oils in the animal hair is where the stench seems to stay so getting oil off of hair will require several lathers. Usually a month or so of normal use before it is no longer detectable. Soaking a brush in some water with a teaspoon of oxyclean will help get rid of the smell a bit quicker as will lathering it a couple times a day. Maybe shortening your month to a couple weeks or slightly longer.

Some use liquid dish soap followed by a lather with normal shaving soap with some success as the dish soap is good at removing grease and oils. Others just use the brush for their normal shaving routine and wait it out.

Some brushes are worse than others when it comes to the wet animal stench, so how long you have to deal with it and how you choose to address the scent, if you address it at all, will depend on the particular brush.

Just a minor inconvenience when you consider you can use a brush from several years to possibly a decade or more.

Thanks, all,

I've ordered the Semogue 1470 from WCS; they had free shipping on it, too. I'll try the dish soap and the lather-and-let-it-sit-while-I-shave methods to reduce any scent. (It'll be interesting to unpack it and see if my cats react to the scent, if any.) As for the weather conditions affecting its drying, I'm forced to run my air conditioning 24/7, 340 days a year and sometimes more. It's pretty dry in my place.

Water and wood usually don't play well together, but I've had no trouble with (what appears to be) wood on my EJ brush, going on 4 years now.

I'm looking forward to trying this.

I am curious to know the importance of drying out the brush completely. I live in a temperate rain forest and shave 5 days a week, which means that my brush never really dries out no matter how much I shake it out and towel it.
Do I need to ensure that it gets dry between shaves? At least once a week? Should I rotate a series of brushes so that they all get dry between shaves? Or should I get a synthetic instead?

I use an Omega Pro 49. When I first got it I followed the routine where you leave it in cold water in the fridge for a weekend. I modified it by doing a lather and leaving the soap in the brush overnight and then rinsing before putting it in the 2 day fridge bath. There was very little smell when I first started using it and what was there cleared up in a couple of days. It became my everyday brush as soon as it came out of the fridge.

There are some great deals on Vulfix Boar & Omega Boar to be had, in addition to the 830, as mentioned above, all well under $20.

. . .

I use an Omega Pro 49. When I first got it I followed the routine where you leave it in cold water in the fridge for a weekend. I modified it by doing a lather and leaving the soap in the brush overnight and then rinsing before putting it in the 2 day fridge bath. There was very little smell when I first started using it and what was there cleared up in a couple of days. It became my everyday brush as soon as it came out of the fridge.
I'll try that!

I did the fridge thing with my Omega and didn't work at all. Is still very harsh and springy. I'd wait and use your Semogue for a few days before trying the freezing process. You might damage the wood handle, so be careful.
I didn't think Jenks meant "put the brush and water in the freezer." I could imagine that would ruin the wood handle. My idea was to put the brush in an old coffee cup with water (after letting it sit in lather for a night), and then leave brush and cup in the lower, refrigerate-but-not-freezing part of the icebox for, say, 48 hours.

I didn't think Jenks meant "put the brush and water in the freezer."
You are right -- in the lower part; no freezing!

You might find this link valuable >> How To Break In A Boar Brush More Quickly - Sharpologist
"Barbers have also used boar hair brushes, and one old Italian barber discovered a way to speed up the process: a cold water soak. After an initial washing to get the funky animal smell out of it the brush is soaked in cold water for two days."

The Semogue 830 worked fantastic in the cold water soak. I did it once in plain water, let it completely dry. Did it a second time in cold water, this time with a weak lather of PdP 63. After rinsing and letting it dry, I was able to notice a difference in feel and smell.
Before trying these steps, the brush was pretty rank. I'm doing the same with a ToOBS/Vulfix Picadilly 513 right now, using instead some Cavendish hard soap.

I just got a Razorock olive-wood boar brush this week. I haven't used it yet but i'm really impressed with it's quality. Just the look and feel of it is really nice. The wood grain is beautiful and they even carved their logo into the bottom of the handle, very fancy looking...and there's a cool metal accent ring around the base of the knot.

I am curious to know the importance of drying out the brush completely. I live in a temperate rain forest and shave 5 days a week, which means that my brush never really dries out no matter how much I shake it out and towel it.
Do I need to ensure that it gets dry between shaves? At least once a week? Should I rotate a series of brushes so that they all get dry between shaves? Or should I get a synthetic instead?

This is what we tell our wives when we need a reason to purchase multiple brushes. That being said your brush probably shouldn't stay wet all the time. Being animal hair the hair isn't likely as much of a problem with the hair as with the glue holding it in always being wet. I'd likely have two brushes if I were you and use each one every other day. Maybe see if that gives the brushes enough time to dry out.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My favorite is the Semogue 610

@Benzadmiral, that sounds like a good brush for you. That or an Omega 10066. A Semogue with a wooden handle is perfectly fine, too. It's not like they don't anticipate it coming into contact with water They seal the handles properly.

Just buy it and use it, and it will treat you well. Any stink (and there very well may be none) will be largely or entirely gone after a couple of uses.

Soaking it while you shower is plenty of prep. Every day use is fine. Giving it a day's rest in between is even better, but that's all the TLC it needs.

It'll break in over around 20-50 uses, depending on the brush and how you use it. That said, they all start off good and just get better.

@Benzadmiral, that sounds like a good brush for you. That or an Omega 10066. A Semogue with a wooden handle is perfectly fine, too. It's not like they don't anticipate it coming into contact with water They seal the handles properly.

Just buy it and use it, and it will treat you well. Any stink (and there very well may be none) will be largely or entirely gone after a couple of uses.

Soaking it while you shower is plenty of prep. Every day use is fine. Giving it a day's rest in between is even better, but that's all the TLC it needs.

It'll break in over around 20-50 uses, depending on the brush and how you use it. That said, they all start off good and just get better.
I have the other 2 brushes, the badger and the synth, so I expect I'll use this one about every 3rd day. Repeat the pattern a second time, then take Sunday off, and start over again.

I wonder if I should tell Miss Linda, who continually frets about cruelty to animals (yet calmly wears leather shoes and handbags, and eats beef and pork products), that the bristles on the Semogue came from a descendant of the Wild Boar of Calydon, or something? It would be . . . interesting.

Top Bottom