What's new

How long did your Mühle last?

To all of those who use your Mühles daily - how long did it last before rot/breakage kicked in and you had to get rid of it? Others, how long has this workhorse been good to you?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The R89 was the first safety razor I owned. I think it took 3 years until the screw began to rot. To be fair, back then I didn't bother too much about cleaning it and keeping it dry after each use. Which was stupid. Hard water did the rest.
It now is 9 years old and this is how it looks. I've still used it a lot and only recently replaced it with a GC .84.

Note that today's Mühle razors have brass threads (never getting tired of mentioning that). They even sent me a new replacement head for free, 8 years after the initial purchase. Never used it though.

The R89 was the first safety razor I owned. I think it took 3 years until the screw began to rot. To be fair, back then I didn't bother too much about cleaning it and keeping it dry after each use. Which was stupid. Hard water did the rest.
It now is 9 years old and this is how it looks. I've still used it a lot and only recently replaced it with a GC .84.

Note that today's Mühle razors have brass threads (never getting tired of mentioning that). They even sent me a new replacement head for free, 8 years after the initial purchase. Never used it though.

But the rest of the razor didn't show signs of wearing? Then it's basically problem solved, one would say, with brass threads.

I started a thread nearly 5 years ago asking much the same question. Not specifically Muhle but Zamak in general.
Based on my 2011 R41 and a RR Jaws starting to show some corrosion.

I'm pleased to say that since I started to coat the threads once a month with silicone grease (Rocor brand) my daily driver, the R41 has shown no further deterioration so I would expect it to last decades with a modicom of future care.

I started a thread nearly 5 years ago asking much the same question. Not specifically Muhle but Zamak in general.
Based on my 2011 R41 and a RR Jaws starting to show some corrosion.

I'm pleased to say that since I started to coat the threads once a month with silicone grease (Rocor brand) my daily driver, the R41 has shown no further deterioration so I would expect it to last decades with a modicom of future care.
Do only the threads show corrosion, or the razor itself?

But the rest of the razor didn't show signs of wearing? Then it's basically problem solved, one would say, with brass threads.
There are a few spots where the chrome is coming off, they are marked in the picture. I'd say these could have been avoided with proper care. And they are not fatal either.
And yes, with threads now being brass, I'd consider the matter solved.

There are a few spots where the chrome is coming off, they are marked in the picture. I'd say these could have been avoided with proper care. And they are not fatal either.
And yes, with threads now being brass, I'd consider the matter solved.

Sorry, didn't see the link. Now I understand.

Great points! Tough to fault Muhle, a company that stands behind their products!

Great points! Tough to fault Muhle, a company that stands behind their products!
Right, and with so many razors sold, it's nice that they would replace the cap for no charge years later. My Merkur 34C, which I no longer use much but have probably used at least 250 times, shows slight traces of corrosion on the cap and base plate, nothing serious. The threads look absolutely brand new. Of course, with the two piece design, the threads are further down inside the handle and don't get repeatedly submerged in water during use.

Threads on my EJ went after 3 years. I cleaned it after every use. I think the trouble spot is threads, if they are brass, I think the rest of the razor would last a lot longer. The Variant has brass threads and I’m not positive but heard EJ and Muhl use brass threads now also.

I’m not positive but heard EJ and Muhl use brass threads now also.
EJ and Mühle developed the DE89 / R89 head together but as far as I know, they don't share the actual production. I've been asking myself if EJ made the switch to brass threads as well.
My new R89 head had a '4' stamped on the top cap's underside, if that helps.

EJ and Mühle developed the DE89 / R89 head together but as far as I know, they don't share the actual production. I've been asking myself if EJ made the switch to brass threads as well.
My new R89 head had a '4' stamped on the top cap's underside, if that helps.

I still have my EJ. If I ever bothered to get another cap, would probably get the Muhl to be sure it is brass.

Do only the threads show corrosion, or the razor itself?

It was just the threads.
Years ago a member here pointed out a weak spot on the male threads where the chrome plating was missing on all Muhle razor heads. Probably where clips holding the heads in the plating bath were placed.
Corrosion invariably starts where plating was missing, either through production technique or damage.

A thin layer of grease protects against this galvanic corrosion.

Going to brass helps a lot but doesn't make it impervious to corrosion.

The other even more significant problem with Zamak heads and threads was dropping the razor often sheared off the threads leaving them stuck in the handle.

I suspect the main reason for the return to brass was that (and associated warranty claims) and not the corrosion issue.

I purchased an R41 over the summer. Looks like it has a brass pin. Glad to hear I can expect years of service. The R41 is an amazing razor. Never had anything that can shave as close. A bit too aggressive for me to use daily but great on those days when I want a really close comfortable shave. If it ever does fail, I would purchase another without hesitation.

I purchased an R41 over the summer. Looks like it has a brass pin. Glad to hear I can expect years of service. The R41 is an amazing razor. Never had anything that can shave as close. A bit too aggressive for me to use daily but great on those days when I want a really close comfortable shave. If it ever does fail, I would purchase another without hesitation.

Nuhle longevity is not a problem. I sent an email to Muhle in Germany about my R41, Zamak and longevity. This was the response:

" Chrome is very hard and not flexible at all. If you drop the razor the chrome coating will possibly get damaged. If this is the case, the zamak can deteriorate eventually. If you handle the razor with care it can last for many years, even a lifetime. The pin is made of brass. Zamak would be too soft and the thread would wear off quickly. I don’t expect the pin to deteriorate as it‘s not exposed to soap and water plus it’s continuously in use. "

I use my R41 everyday, I want the closest shave possible and that/s what it delivers!

Top Bottom