What's new

My 2nd Vintage SR. Tell Me About This Edge, Please.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I acquired a NOS razor. The vendor told me it has a factory finish and will need to be stropped after 10-15 shaves.

These are photos of the edge of the edge. Some are against a pink background (a pink microfiber towel). Others are against a tan background (the cardboard of a legal pad).

GoodShot.640.10T.10-19-18.JPG

ClearPhoto.640.9T.10-19-18.JPG

SharpClear.640.10-18-19..JPG
10-19-18.goodpicture.640.7T..JPG
goodedge.640.2T.10-19-18.JPG
10-19-18.Edge.1P.640JPG.JPG
640.Goodpicture.10-19-18.13P.JPG

Curve.7P.640.10-19-18.JPG
goodpicture.Edge.12P.640.10-19-18JPG.JPG

These photos were taken at a magnification of perhaps 60X with a cellphone clip-on microscope. I have more photos. These are representative random photos taken of the edge of the edge on both sides of the blade.

I'm considering whether to shave with the razor as it is (it's been stropped some) or hone the razor. Is this what a factory fresh razor gentlemen shave with looks like?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The 5th photo, last of the cardboard ones shows what might be a bevel, but a factory finish even on a NOS isn't shave ready. The fact whoever sold it to you said it only needs to be stropped after 10 or so shaves...is ...well, not normal ....unless they were talking about stropping on a pasted strop for edge touchup. You'll strop the razor every time you use it on untreated leather. You can try shaving with it and see if you get anywhere, but Id send it to a B&B member to get the bevel properly set then honed. I use Alfredo when I want a special edge, aka Doc226, but there are plenty of folks here that can do it for you.

In case you want to try honing it, you'll need the proper progression of stones and a lighted loupe to see the scratch patterns, so you can tell when its time to move onto the next stone. I use a 30x / 60x light loupe off Amazon its under $8.00. I would also go hang out in the honing sub section and do lots of reading.

Good luck.

I acquired a NOS razor. The vendor told me it has a factory finish and will need to be stropped after 10-15 shaves.

These are photos of the edge of the edge. Some are against a pink background (a pink microfiber towel). Others are against a tan background (the cardboard of a legal pad).

View attachment 921192

View attachment 921193

View attachment 921194 View attachment 921195 View attachment 921196 View attachment 921197 View attachment 921198
View attachment 921199 View attachment 921200

These photos were taken at a magnification of perhaps 60X with a cellphone clip-on microscope. I have more photos. These are representative random photos taken of the edge of the edge on both sides of the blade.

I'm considering whether to shave with the razor as it is (it's been stropped some) or hone the razor. Is this what a factory fresh razor gentlemen shave with looks like?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I thought I was looking at a photo of Mars!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am seeing both voids in the edge, and oxidation on the bevel. However, both are small enough that they could be completely unnoticeable in the actual shave.

I would tend to agree with @Bad_B2 above, I find it very strange that you would be advised to strop after 10 shaves, and also quite odd that this is sold as a NOS with a shave ready factory edge... Sounds fishy to me.

Here are a few pics of the edge I shaved with this morning. The focus isn't great, a photographer I am not, but you should be able to get the idea. These are at max magnification, roughly 100X. The very bright part is the grind, with the bevel being more in focus. The darkness beyond the bevel is the air above, as I sit the phone down on the desk, using the "selfie cam" on the phone, so the microscope sticks up off the desk, and I can move the blade around on top of it.

IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG

With my Solingen NOS, you could clearly see the grind and the grit marks on the bevel. It would not pass a hair test and shaved like crap. But it wasn’t advertised as shave ready and only cost $8. I honed it up with lapping film and it’s now mirror smooth.

After what you’ve been told I would send it back. Ask for an RMA and a full refund. You have two razors, so I would stick with them for awhile. But that’s just me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am seeing both voids in the edge, and oxidation on the bevel. However, both are small enough that they could be completely unnoticeable in the actual shave.

I would tend to agree with @Bad_B2 above, I find it very strange that you would be advised to strop after 10 shaves, and also quite odd that this is sold as a NOS with a shave ready factory edge... Sounds fishy to me.

It's confusing to me.

Here's my earlier post on the razor, linked.

The razor's edge doesn't look good no matter how I look at it. One side looks much better than the other, but neither look good to me with my eye or any of my tools.

Shaving with the razor would tell - perhaps it would tell anyway - another story. However, it doesn't look like an edge I want near my skin. That doesn't mean I won't try it on a piece of my skin; I'm still considering it.

I've looked, using my optical toolkit, at a number of razor blade edges - my few SRs, two of which are professionally honed; some commercial blades, mostly very well used - none look remotely like the edge of this SR.

Not saying I know anything. Just saying what I've seen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's confusing to me.

Here's my earlier post on the razor, linked.

The razor's edge doesn't look good no matter how I look at it. One side looks much better than the other, but neither look good to me with my eye or any of my tools.

Shaving with the razor would tell - perhaps it would tell anyway - another story. However, it doesn't look like an edge I want near my skin. That doesn't mean I won't try it on a piece of my skin; I'm still considering it.

I've looked, using my optical toolkit, at a number of razor blade edges - my few SRs, two of which are professionally honed; some commercial blades, mostly very well used - none look remotely like the edge of this SR.

Not saying I know anything. Just saying what I've seen.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I just realized by reviewing your post JR didn’t hone your razor. He said it had a factory edge. It would not have a factory edge had he set the bevel.

So, here is your chance to hone yourself. It’s too nice to return.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Regarding factory edges, I have a NOS Bengall that did have a factory edge and I shaved with it just to see what kind of edge Bengall put on their razors. It was quite good and shaved very well and comfortably. I figured it to be 12K or so. After that shave, I just ran a pasted balsa progression up to 200K and have lived happily ever after. I also, got a NOS Geneva and the factory had done no honing whatsoever on it. The edge was simply flat so I honed it from bevel set up to 200K. Both are remarkable blades. From what I understand, factory edges generally hit and miss though. I just got lucky on one I suppose.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
With my Solingen NOS, you could clearly see the grind and the grit marks on the bevel. It would not pass a hair test and shaved like crap. But it wasn’t advertised as shave ready and only cost $8. I honed it up with lapping film and it’s now mirror smooth.

After what you’ve been told I would send it back. Ask for an RMA and a full refund. You have two razors, so I would stick with them for awhile. But that’s just me.
Absolutely don't return that razor. It is a beautiful NOS brand new razor. It simply needs to be honed, preferably bevel set up. You are very lucky to have acquired a razor like that.

Absolutely don't return that razor. It is a beautiful NOS brand new razor. It simply needs to be honed, preferably bevel set up. You are very lucky to have acquired a razor like that.
+1 That is a beautiful razor, and should serve you well. If you don't yet have the confidence to hone it yourself, there are members here who will do a bang up job for you just to have an excuse to avoid household chores *Looking at you Steve!* lol.

Seriously, though, don't return it. You can hone this one or have it honed, but this is too nice a razor to just pass on.

It’s a great looking razor with a factory edge. It can be given a test shave, honed or sent back. Only 3 choices.

He is reluctant to shave with it. I think you’ve even offered to hone it. Only option left is to send it back.

Rough day at the office for me, so I’m being saucy.

Send that beater to me. I promise to treat her right. Just jumping in here. I have a few nos blades. Some were not even sharp. A couple were ready to go. I think the only let down was that it wasn't shave ready. I have also received shave ready straights that were not shave ready. Just part of the gamble. Good luck

Send that beater to me. I promise to treat her right. Just jumping in here. I have a few nos blades. Some were not even sharp. A couple were ready to go. I think the only let down was that it wasn't shave ready. I have also received shave ready straights that were not shave ready. Just part of the gamble. Good luck

You still treating that Boker right?

It's in a safe place. It would be a year before iake it back around . I have a problem. I really need to stop buying straights. I'm currently working on a cool project. Will post on restoration forum soon. How's that dovo holding up?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It’s a great looking razor with a factory edge. It can be given a test shave, honed or sent back. Only 3 choices.

He is reluctant to shave with it. I think you’ve even offered to hone it. Only option left is to send it back.

Rough day at the office for me, so I’m being saucy.
If he sends it back, I'm definitely getting it - its "used" now.

It's in a safe place. It would be a year before iake it back around . I have a problem. I really need to stop buying straights. I'm currently working on a cool project. Will post on restoration forum soon. How's that dovo holding up?

Still going strong and smooth. I hit it with the poorman balsa strop and it stays keen but smooth. That balsa is keeping a great edge on my other razor I was going to send you too. Great shaves.

Top Bottom