What's new

Illustration of Safety Razor Parameters (Blade Exposure, Guard Span, Blade Gap, Etc.)

I sure wish a moderator would strongly consider making this thread a sticky, because I find myself looking for it often as I read discussions of razor mechanics (rigidity, etc.). It's a go-to reference for me, and probably for others.

3rd Version with Blade Reveal Added

Below is an updated version of the illustration for safety razor parameters around the blade cutting edge, which applies both for DE and SE razors. This third version involves two changes: (1) blade reveal has been added and (2) the bullet point on blade rigidity has been improved.

For a given razor, an increase in blade width causes increases in blade reveal and blade exposure. However, when comparing different razors, more blade reveal does not mean more blade exposure. Blade reveal should not be confused with blade exposure. Blade rigidity may seem dependent on blade reveal, but blade rigidity actually depends on free-end and clamp distances, along with blade thickness and the elastic modulus of the blade material. Blade rigidity is, nevertheless, related to blade reveal in that free-end and clamp distances increase with increasing blade reveal.

It is hoped that this updated version will become the standard reference illustration for safety razor parameters with respect to neutral-, steep-, and shallow-angle shaving.

Absolutely fantastic write ups. Great stuff to sink your teeth into after a shave and having the morning cup of joe. A concise, analytical breakdown on shaving parameters that is fairly easy to follow and understandable for pretty much all here. Excellent stuff here by @ShavingByTheNumbers. Bravo amigo...:a14:

While some safety razor parameters have been generally illustrated before, here at B&B and elsewhere, a more comprehensive picture has now been created.

The general illustration above shows the blade and shave planes and the parameters that follow around the blade cutting edge for a blade loaded in a safety razor: blade angle, handle angle, blade exposure, guard span, cap span, blade gap, free-end distance, clamp distance. Free-end and clamp distances were measured for the first time with my photo analysis of the Edwin Jagger (EJ) DE89 head (B&B URL). Important details that could not be simply illustrated are included at the bottom of the picture. For example, I rigorously define blade gap based on personal experience in measuring the quantity with my accurate set of micrometer-measured feeler gauge blade combinations (B&B URL).

Blade gap is commonly associated with razor aggressiveness, but, at best, blade gap only loosely relates to razor performance. Blade exposure, guard span, and blade angle, on the other hand, are very important performance parameters with respect to aggressiveness and efficiency. Unfortunately, these three parameters are not easily measured. Photo analysis is the primary method for measuring the illustrated parameters, but physical measurements, such as for blade gap, should be used when appropriate to complement or supersede digital measurements. The illustrated parameters around the cutting edge apply both to double-edge (DE) and single-edge (SE) safety razors. The first note in the picture about using a blade with a nominal width for analytical purposes therefore applies similarly for DE and SE razor blades.

The illustration included here might be updated in the future, and if that happens, I will update this thread accordingly. Regardless, it is hoped that this picture or an updated version will become the premiere reference illustration for safety razor parameters around the blade cutting edge.

This has been very helpful, took a lot of effort but really worth while. Thank you Shaving By The Numbers.

Does anyone else think shaving with the razor angled parallel to the " Shave plane", when both the guard and top cap are on the skin the way to use each razor as it was designed. I think of this as a neutral shave angle. Not to claim that how the designer's intention for his/her razor's is angle actually the way to get the best shave from that razor. But should each razor at least be tried that way to experience how the razor designer intended all the elements of the razor - blade angle, blade exposure, blade gap, head weight, etc. -to work together? I am trying it, rather than defaulting to steep or shallow, the result is some razors work really differently when used as I am guessing they were designed to be used. My milder razors - EJ 89, Timeless .68 - seem to cut closer. Haven't tried it with my really aggressive razors yet, but will be doing that.
Anyone else exploring this?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This has been very helpful, took a lot of effort but really worth while. Thank you Shaving By The Numbers.

Does anyone else think shaving with the razor angled parallel to the " Shave plane", when both the guard and top cap are on the skin the way to use each razor as it was designed. I think of this as a neutral shave angle. Not to claim that how the designer's intention for his/her razor's is angle actually the way to get the best shave from that razor. But should each razor at least be tried that way to experience how the razor designer intended all the elements of the razor - blade angle, blade exposure, blade gap, head weight, etc. -to work together? I am trying it, rather than defaulting to steep or shallow, the result is some razors work really differently when used as I am guessing they were designed to be used. My milder razors - EJ 89, Timeless .68 - seem to cut closer. Haven't tried it with my really aggressive razors yet, but will be doing that.
Anyone else exploring this?

Captain of the Design (meme).jpg

Usually, yes.

upload_2018-10-16_9-56-57.png

But, not always.

Happy shaves,

Jim

2013 R41 is not aggressive when used steep. In my experience of course.
Yes, agree, and that is how I have been using it. Same with Ikon Tech, CG OC lvl3 and Futur wide open. Will be revisiting them to see what they were designed to shave like. Since the milder razors gave a closer shave when used with a neutral angle, guard and cap both on skin, it scares me to think what these aggressive razors will be like used that way.
Anyone compare steep angle to "designed angle" with other aggressive razors besides R41?

Top Bottom