What's new

Razorock mission razor too aggressive?

Wow I got cut up badly with derby blades...lol wasnt expecting that...
Man this thing is aggressive. I will need to apply way way less pressure I guess I was expecting the same kinda thing as the utopia razor I had (edwin jagger de89 clone). I like the handle on this razor and the smaller size makes it easier to maneuver.

Anyone with this razor can you give me tips how to best use this razor? What blades to use etc?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

I think I have sensitive skin. Should i return this razor?

Man this thing is aggressive. I will need to apply way way less pressure I guess I was expecting the same kinda thing as the utopia razor I had (edwin jagger de89 clone). I like the handle on this razor and the smaller size makes it easier to maneuver.
The problem is not the razor but your technique which is off and leads to nicks, cuts and weepers. Work with just one razor whilst you improve your technique and the DE89 clone would seem ideal. There should only be light bade contact on the skin to glide on the surface and not dig in. Also check your blade angle which should be around 30 degrees for a neutral angle.
This may be helpful: Blade Angle

M

Member 113878

Indeed, you need to check your technique.
The Mission head (a DE89 clone) is very mild and a Derby blade too. (well, the Premiums are sharper than the Extras)
You're probably using too much pressure.
What handle did you choose?

The problem is not the razor but your technique which is off and leads to nicks, cuts and weepers. Work with just one razor whilst you improve your technique and the DE89 clone would seem ideal. There should only be light bade contact on the skin to glide on the surface and not dig in. Also check your blade angle which should be around 30 degrees for a neutral angle.
This may be helpful: Blade Angle

+2! I agree.

You should read through the Wiki. Then focus on:
NO PRESSURE!
Keeping the optimal razor angle.

Stick with this and you will get there!!

Anyone with this razor can you give me tips how to best use this razor? What blades to use etc?

Any other razors which work for you or which was the razor you were using before the mission ? Posting details about your experience with other shaving setup and your prep would help. The mission and derby are pretty mild combination and would make it difficult to cut up your face unless you're having a wrong attack angle or more than "zero" pressure. After clamping down the blade check the blade alignment on both sides just in case to rule out an unaligned razor blade. Start with the razor at 90 degrees to the face and bring the handle slowly down till you feel the blade. Then use zero pressure and short strokes. Assume that you've hydrated your face well and have a good quality wet lather.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Indeed, you need to check your technique.
The Mission head (a DE89 clone) is very mild and a Derby blade too. (well, the Premiums are sharper than the Extras)
You're probably using too much pressure.
What handle did you choose?
Barberpole

Any other razors which work for you or which was the razor you were using before the mission ? Posting details about your experience with other shaving setup and your prep would help. The mission and derby are pretty mild combination and would make it difficult to cut up your face unless you're having a wrong attack angle or more than "zero" pressure. After clamping down the blade check the blade alignment on both sides just in case to rule out an unaligned razor blade. Start with the razor at 90 degrees to the face and bring the handle slowly down till you feel the blade. Then use zero pressure and short strokes. Assume that you've hydrated your face well and have a good quality wet lather.

I used a utopia razor de89 clone as well before but was alot milder. I will read wiki and work on technique.

Ok did a shave again today determined to shave with the razorock mission razor your definitely right this is a mild razor i think I didnt account for the weight of the barberpole handle. Today I went with wtg for 1 pass and 2 xtg passes and one angled xtg. I used short light strokes and wow what a difference no weepers was a almost perfect shave dfs other than the areas that had razorburn from prior terrible shave used a styptic pencil and it just had a slight tinge then put aftershave and going to sleep.

Thanks folks. Checked out the blade angle on shavewiki

Glad it worked out for you. Enablers here will ensure you succeed and succumb to more ADs :D

I tried the RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor what an amazing newbie razor!
The edges are closed. The head has perfect alignment. I tried with a derby blade and got a really good shave.
Will hold off on the futur clone and razorock mission till i get better. No weepers todays boys I am glad to report.

Thanks,

Ben

Yep, right on all counts, it's a superior reimagining of the Gillette Tech. Like the Tech as your skills improve it just gets better.

I tried the RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor what an amazing newbie razor!
The edges are closed. The head has perfect alignment. I tried with a derby blade and got a really good shave.
Will hold off on the futur clone and razorock mission till i get better. No weepers todays boys I am glad to report.

Thanks,

Ben

define "aggressive"!
Aggressive as in more harsh than smooth shave. Maybe the blade was no good. I will try the existing derby blade that I know is good on the mission next shave...

Top Bottom