What's new

Really Enjoying 8k Shaves

So I’ve had a Naniwa 8k Super Stone for quite some time and I felt the need to setup a personal trial experiment. I wanted to go from the 8k right to linen and leather without compounds and give it a go over a months worth of shaving. When done shaving I just give the razor a several edge leading followed by a few spine leading strokes treating it more like a barber’s hone. I’m really impressed with the shaves. Plenty sharp but still forgiving. I just have to make sure my lather is on point. Otherwise it’s been interesting to see where this is going.

Always good to see that those 10k+ progressions aren’t always necessary! Good job!
I know that there are quite a few forum members that like Coticules but I can’t really get a decent edge off any that I own unfortunately. I wish I could get my hands on one or two that work well but I’m actually pretty content with this 8k experiment.

I know that there are quite a few forum members that like Coticules but I can’t really get a decent edge off any that I own unfortunately. I wish I could get my hands on one or two that work well but I’m actually pretty content with this 8k experiment.
Have you tried Dr.Matts method for finishing on a coticule? I have given it a shot and had decent results.

Have you tried Dr.Matts method for finishing on a coticule? I have given it a shot and had decent results.
I have tried his approach quite a few times but two out three of my Coticules are just duds! One is a rather flakey La Grise and the other is probably from one of the newer veins. Neither are truly capable finishers. Now my Dressante bout is in fact an excellent stone but it’s odd size and shape makes it very impractical for any meaningful finishing work.
Even if I do a very light slurry on the one from the new vein with minimal pressure I wind up with a bevel that strongly resembles a 3k edge at best. Just not a good specimen IMO. With water only I think an 8k synth still has it beat but on water it’s at least plausible for shaving.
I’ve beaten the La Grise to death as well. Around 6k is pretty much all she’ll do no matter how pretty the roses are or how long I walk with her on the beach.

Last edited:
I have tried his approach quite a few times but two out three of my Coticules are just duds! One is a rather flakey La Grise and the other is probably from one of the newer veins. Neither are truly capable finishers. Now my Dressante bout is in fact an excellent stone but it’s odd size and shape makes it very impractical for any meaningful finishing work.
Even if I do a very light slurry on the one from the new vein with minimal pressure I wind up with a bevel that strongly resembles a 3k edge at best. Just not a good specimen IMO...
I’ve beaten the La Grise to death as well. Around 6k is pretty much all she’ll do no matter how pretty the roses are or how long I walk with her on the beach.
Well, at least you gave it a solid shot. Unfortunately, this is why I dislike coti’s, they are unpredictable at best and getting a good one is a crap shoot at best. I did luck out with my Dressant Au Bleu which can give a wonderful edge, unfortunately for it my jnats flawlessly outperform it.

Well, at least you gave it a solid shot. Unfortunately, this is why I dislike coti’s, they are unpredictable at best and getting a good one is a crap shoot at best. I did luck out with my Dressant Au Bleu which can give a wonderful edge, unfortunately for it my jnats flawlessly outperform it.
I have to wholeheartedly agree. I think what makes Coticule honing so seductive is the gamble factor you’ve mentioned. But finding a good one has proved to be elusive for me. And yes in the world of naturals jnats are just hard to beat.

So I’ve had a Naniwa 8k Super Stone for quite some time and I felt the need to setup a personal trial experiment. I wanted to go from the 8k right to linen and leather without compounds and give it a go over a months worth of shaving. When done shaving I just give the razor a several edge leading followed by a few spine leading strokes treating it more like a barber’s hone. I’m really impressed with the shaves. Plenty sharp but still forgiving. I just have to make sure my lather is on point. Otherwise it’s been interesting to see where this is going.

This is very true.
You know you can hone when you can get a very good, comfortable shave off an 8k consistently.
Many fail to see the value in this and blow right past with every hone imaginable in search of the great edge they can't seem to find.
Learn this first and you will be a more well rounded honer and patient of other stones as you move forward experimenting, learning and achieving finer results.

I think you can definitely get a decent shave off a 8K. I think for a long time the Norton 4/8K combo stone was the go to for a lot of people. I have a little barbers hone I use for touch ups on long work shifts. I would be willing to bet it is around 8k. It gives me a sharp edge for sure. It just doesn't seem to last as long as a nicer finished edge.

A lot of what’s going to allow a good 8k shave is the work that comes before it. Also I’ve found that my lather really has to be on point and it needs to be nice and hydrated. Soap that’s too dry isn’t going to fly! It’s not an edge for everyone but I’m finding this little trial run informative.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Using the Lather Trick can make that 8k hone deliver edges more like what you get from a 10k or even 12k hone. It takes an awfully long time to make it happen, though.

Using the Lather Trick can make that 8k hone deliver edges more like what you get from a 10k or even 12k hone. It takes an awfully long time to make it happen, though.
Actually when I mentioned lather I was referring to the lather used while shaving. But with that said I agree that a bit of lather on the hone can help. However I’ve noticed that higher grit King hones don’t tolerate soap very well at all. But I haven’t had any issues using a bit on the rest of the usual suspects...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Actually when I mentioned lather I was referring to the lather used while shaving. But with that said I agree that a bit of lather on the hone can help. However I’ve noticed that higher grit King hones don’t tolerate soap very well at all. But I haven’t had any issues using a bit on the rest of the usual suspects...

Hmmm well that may be. I have only used the 1k/6k combo in the King lineup. They do seem kinda fragile and easily disturbed/dissolved/disintegrated. Maybe soap or solvents would be a really bad idea on a King.

I often shave of 8 k Naniwa in fact I did this morning my edge was set on the 3k and finished on the 8k. Having shaved of the 10 k and 12 k and 20 k G the 8k gives me a great shave I would say it’s very similar to a good coticule edge and a forgiving level of sharpness.

Top Bottom