What's new

There're baaaack

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Heard a God awful squalling on the other side of the pond last night when I was sitting on the porch having a smoke while I let Grandma cat out for a bit. Shined my good flashlight over there and didn't really see anything.

Took some trash out to the trash can about an hour ago and heard the squalling again, out by an oak tree about 75 yards away. Then heard some grunting.

I think the feral hogs are back. Time to pull out the .41 mag. and stuff it with heavy 230 grain loads and have it handy.

Get off my lawn!

proxy.php

Heard a God awful squalling on the other side of the pond last night when I was sitting on the porch having a smoke while I let Grandma cat out for a bit. Shined my good flashlight over there and didn't really see anything.

Took some trash out to the trash can about an hour ago and heard the squalling again, out by an oak tree about 75 yards away. Then heard some grunting.

I think the feral hogs are back. Time to pull out the .41 mag. and stuff it with heavy 230 grain loads and have it handy.

Get off my lawn!

proxy.php
Time to make some Hog hair shaving brushes?

Nice revolver. I bet it packs quite a wallop when you use that heavy load. I can smell the bacon cooking already. Maybe a nice roast or two, too.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Went out to look under the oak tree, didn't see any roto-tilling from tusks tearing up the ground but there were some empty acorn "tops" under the tree.

Found some tracks. Rounded toes on the cloven hoof so they aren't deer, and whatever made it was much heavier than a deer. I'm far, far away from being an expert tracker but with the weather here the last few days I'm guessing about two days old or so. But I could be wrong.

DSC_0005.JPG

Picked up a cheap, $50, handheld spotlight today. It seems to work well for what I want.

Lights up the corner posts to the front pasture fence about 150 yards away pretty well. You can even see the back of the mailbox to the right of the corner posts and the telephone company's little grey box to the left. The white pipe fence at the bottom of the pic. is the garden fence about 40 yards away. The garden fence is blurry as I had the camera zoom as high as it would go and focused on the front pasture corner posts.

DSC_0001.JPG

Redneck weapon light...tape the light to the barrel. :biggrin1:

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Is this small/big game hunting, or just "pest control"?

Is that ... um ... strictly legal?

In Texas hogs are shoot on sight...daytime, nighttime, and with firearms, archery, knives, pitchforks, what ever. The feral hogs have overrun things. They have destroyed so much that the State says...shoot on sight.

If you try jacklighting deer though...you will get a visit from your friendly local Game Warden and lose your firearms, any vehicles used in the endeavor, have to find a bail bondsman to get you out of jail, and face a hefty fine and probably some jail time.

Hogs on the other hand are exterminate them...any time, any where, and by whatever means.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We have some friends with a ranch a little bit southeast of Waco. They damn near live off of wild hogs they shoot on the property from deer blinds. He even built a walk-in cooler for hanging them and got one cracker jack of a band saw and grinder for processing.

Me love some hog. I haven't got one in a few years, but daughter goes to Oklahoma with friends every couple months and pops two, all the "ranch" will let her shoot at one visit. Usually gets them both in one evening. $100 for 3 day/2 nights, room included, cheaper than renting a hotel room while visiting. Freezer hasn't run out of hog in a while.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Saw a little feral hog while fishing about dark. I'm not a good judge about weight, but it looked about 100 pounds or less...good eating size. Like a dumb A I didn't have the .41 with me but it was about 80 yards away. With my handgun skills that's more of a rifle shot for me. If you see one there are also more out there.

It came from the back pasture fence and walked into the front part of the trees just on the other side of the pond and pissadeared. By the time I got back in the house and got the camera and magnum it was gone. It was a little black one with a few calico brown spots on it. My Marlin .30-30 is loaded and handy though...it is getting dark now and I have the spotlight. The picture is of a clear shot of the area it was in if I'd have had the .30-30 with me.

DSC_0007.JPG

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Great picture of that Hog. That .41 Magnum should do the trick.

And must they be hunted at night?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great picture of that Hog. That .41 Magnum should do the trick.

And must they be hunted at night?

Ummm, yeah...what hog? It had pissadeard by the time I got back out there with a camera. Unless you are talking about the stuffed mount I stole off the net.

Yeah, they seem to be coming out at night more...nocturnal. Hogs ain't stupid. They have a tendency to come out at night if they are shot at during the day.

Last edited:
Man, I SO need a single action!

Anyway, I have a few weapons that could take care of the business you’re needing taken care of, but nothing as effective as my lever 30-30. She swings and points like she doesn’t need me. It’s fast. Just what you want hunting hogs. I even have a “pig plex” scope on her lol!

full

Happy hunting!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Which iron will you use to cook the bacon in?

Cast iron Griswold skillet.

Me love some hog. I haven't got one in a few years, but daughter goes to Oklahoma with friends every couple months and pops two, all the "ranch" will let her shoot at one visit. Usually gets them both in one evening. $100 for 3 day/2 nights, room included, cheaper than renting a hotel room while visiting. Freezer hasn't run out of hog in a while.

That sounds like a pretty good price. I've seen some places that are $250 a day and no room and board. That price of $250 kinda surprised me as bad as people want to get rid of them...sometimes they may pay you to hunt them. But...anything to make a buck.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Man, I SO need a single action!

Anyway, I have a few weapons that could take care of the business you’re needing taken care of, but nothing as effective as my lever 30-30. She swings and points like she doesn’t need me. It’s fast. Just what you want hunting hogs. I even have a “pig plex” scope on her lol!

full

Happy hunting!

Oh those look nice. I have no idea where the hammer extension for my Marlin is...I've never used a scope on it and took it off years ago and put it...somewhere.

Oh those look nice. I have no idea where the hammer extension for my Marlin is...I've never used a scope on it and took it off years ago and put it...somewhere.
I would consider a red dot for the Marlin being it’s about a 150 to 200 gun on a good day. But anymore with my eyes, I need some kind of help. The scope on 1 is perfectly fine for two eyes open shooting up close. Of course you don’t need the hammer extension if you aren’t scoping it.

I don’t know what it is about my little 16” barreled Marlin 336 - on paper is just ok. But when your swinging it, or just taking pot shots at things, it just hit em. It’s voodoo I tell you lol. Good voodoo.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I would consider a red dot for the Marlin being it’s about a 150 to 200 gun on a good day. But anymore with my eyes, I need some kind of help. The scope on 1 is perfectly fine for two eyes open shooting up close. Of course you don’t need the hammer extension if you aren’t scoping it.

I don’t know what it is about my little 16” barreled Marlin 336 - on paper is just ok. But when your swinging it, or just taking pot shots at things, it just hit em. It’s voodoo I tell you lol. Good voodoo.

Marlins are good...better quality than the old Winchesters. I like mine...especially since I lost the 336 I got as a kid from Dad in a K.C. pawnshop when I was much younger. Got this one...get this...in a raffle years ago that my son was selling tickets for at his school. Only thing I've ever won. This one ain't going anywhere.

I'm a bit surprised that @martym hasn't chimed in...but he's probably got so many pictures of hogs on the hoof, in the back of his truck, and on the smoker that it would take him several days to go through them to decide which ones to post.

In Texas hogs are shoot on sight...daytime, nighttime, and with firearms, archery, knives, pitchforks, what ever. The feral hogs have overrun things. They have destroyed so much that the State says...shoot on sight.

If you try jacklighting deer though...you will get a visit from your friendly local Game Warden and lose your firearms, any vehicles used in the endeavor, have to find a bail bondsman to get you out of jail, and face a hefty fine and probably some jail time.

Hogs on the other hand are exterminate them...any time, any where, and by whatever means.

Deer are nothing more than hogs with tusks growing out of their head.... right?

Top Bottom