What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday: Reckless Abandon Day.

10-1-18.L-3.Potugal.Kit.640.JPG

You probably guessed it before seeing the photo. Easy. Easy. Easy. L-3 with a TWIN.

This soap makes a grey lather. Not very grey but grey. I'd call it barely grey. The scent is barely okay, but in a somewhat appealing way which makes no sense even to me, but there it is.

Cremo.BayRum.AtomicAge.CrownKing.640.8-18.JPG

Even with my splash I can smell little edges of the soap's scent. Quite pleasant.

A good and easy shave. What a razor!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1st Straight Razor Shave.

New.Gold.Dollar.1stSR.Shave.640.JPG

From Classic Edge. Shave-ready Gold Dollar #66.

Cherry tomato test first, then a shave. Nice.

I shaved only parts of my cheeks and neck, but it was still very nice. Nice sound. Nice feel. Very comfortable.

I like it so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Good job. I learned straight shaving with a shavette with several nicks during the process. But the blades were really sharp in the shavette.

I haven't tried it with a straight razor, but you seem in the right track. As @Esox said, YOU CAN DO IT!

6826FBEB-970F-4C39-A744-9707B1AD3B1C.jpeg
Used the Theo Koch's Marcella again for the complete shave. I did use my little jewel Schick E2 up around the nostrils and to clean up the corners and chin. Otherwise, a complete SR shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 916838 Used the Theo Koch's Marcella again for the complete shave. I did use my little jewel Schick E2 up around the nostrils and to clean up the corners and chin. Otherwise, a complete SR shave.

Nice looking razor.

How did you find the SR shave in terms of comfort? I would assume your SR shaving is not yet as close as it will ultimately become, but am I wrong?

Nice photo.

I will try my SR again on Wednesday. I don't have any notion of how far I'll go or how complete the shave will be. I'm in no hurry with it and mostly interested in comfort and trying to keep my blood inside my skin.

proxy.php

Last night I practiced stropping using my most inexpensive so far strop, a board from Classic Edge, but it's a very nice English bridle board, just small. Link. The instructions with my Gold Dollar which came shave-ready from C.E. said to use it two or three times before stropping it, so I stropped my Feather barber razor instead. Obviously, that was like using a butter knife as the blade didn't (I'm pretty sure) touch the strop.

I also have their incredibly beautiful and over the top nice strop, The Professional Strop, and, in transit, a beginner's hanging travel strop from WSP. Plus, a linen strop from Tony Miller. I'm pretty well set up unless I decide one day to get a wide, heavy, leather hanging strop. I understand strops can be a rabbit hole and everything can be an AD; I need no more ADs.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice looking razor.

How did you find the SR shave in terms of comfort? I would assume your SR shaving is not yet as close as it will ultimately become, but am I wrong?

Nice photo.

I will try my SR again on Wednesday. I don't have any notion of how far I'll go or how complete the shave will be. I'm in no hurry with it and mostly interested in comfort and trying to keep my blood inside my skin.

proxy.php

Last night I practiced stropping using my most inexpensive so far strop, a board from Classic Edge, but it's a very nice English bridle board, just small. Link. The instructions with my Gold Dollar which came shave-ready from C.E. said to use it two or three times before stropping it, so I stropped my Feather barber razor instead. Obviously, that was like using a butter knife as the blade didn't (I'm pretty sure) touch the strop.

I also have their incredibly beautiful and over the top nice strop, The Professional Strop, and, in transit, a beginner's hanging travel strop from WSP. Plus, a linen strop from Tony Miller. I'm pretty well set up unless I decide one day to get a wide, heavy, leather hanging strop. I understand strops can be a rabbit hole and everything can be an AD; I need no more ADs.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It was more comfortable this AM due to the stropping I did last night.

I cannot wait to see your new toys. ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just a question, if some folks/members don't shave everyday and go around with stubble, why is a BBS shave so important?

Another question.

If everybody's whiskers grow every day and no shave can be a BBS until the next shave unless you shave a lot or have a very slow growing or light beard, why go for a BBS at all?

upload_2018-10-2_8-12-54.jpeg

Of course some of us, like me, probably never get a BBS. Or, almost never. Mine, the few I've had, have come at a terrible price by greatly pushing things. My beard just doesn't cooperate.

Well, either that or I'm still learning. Even this far into it, I hope that it's the latter.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Another question.

If everybody's whiskers grow every day and no shave can be a BBS until the next shave unless you shave a lot or have a very slow growing or light beard, why go for a BBS at all?

View attachment 916856

Of course some of us, like me, probably never get a BBS. Or, almost never. Mine, the few I've had, have come at a terrible price by greatly pushing things. My beard just doesn't cooperate.

Well, either that or I'm still learning. Even this far into it, I hope that it's the latter.

Happy shaves,

Jim
If a BBS was all I wanted, a two pass and clean up from a MMOC/PTFE blade would be all I ever require. Alas, a BBS shave is not my ambition all the time. Being able to sharped a raw piece of steel and cut whiskers is more important at this point.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave.

10-2-18.Blackbird.Kit.640JPG.JPG

I'd been looking forward to using the Blackland Blackbird again. However, I sliced my chin, cut my upper lip, and got a couple of weepers on my mustache area. Now were anything much at all but a couple hurt when they happened.

Still, it was a good shave.

Cremo.BayRum.AtomicAge.CrownKing.640.8-18.JPG

This after the shave combination is often what I use.

The Blackbird feels very smooth on my cheeks and the "outside" areas, but as I get close to the middle of my face there's a lot more blade feel. Not bad. Just an observation. I'll look at the razor's gap and guard span sometime soon. I think that's the issue for me. Still, it's a razor I think I like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just a question, if some folks/members don't shave everyday and go around with stubble, why is a BBS shave so important?

I shave for a BBS, and as close a shave as I can get, just because it slows the time between shaves. I've always shaved every other day, all my life, and outside of the last year or so I've never had a true BBS finish and I could feel stubble, easily, after even an hour.

Using my Mach 3, which was very hard on my skin, I'd sometimes between shaves with it use an electric. Or if I shaved with my Mach 3 in the morning and was going out that night, I'd use my electric again.

Using my Grande I can easily have a 12 hour BBS. Using my MMOC I'm now pushing 20 hours, consistently. I just shaved an hour ago and I know I have such a close shave that even if I was going out for a business lunch or something tomorrow, I still wouldnt need a shave and the only one that would know if I wasnt still BBS is me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll look at the razor's gap and guard span sometime soon. I think that's the issue for me.

It could be Jim, but I think it's more a lack of base plate support.

The design and neutral angle of that razor is interesting, but if you drop the angle a bit it'll bite. Theres gobs of room for blade flex in that razor and I think you found some.

Try your NEW SC again.

Top Bottom