Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Picture Pls Eric?! @MaineYooper
I don't think my snaps do the razor justice, but here it is.
proxy.php

Sent via my Samsung

Here is an older before polishing.
And another just now without flash.
proxy.php
proxy.php

You can see the handle looks a little darker, but the after polishing just doesn't show how shiny. At least not in the photo, to my eye.

Sent via my Samsung

It has been a while since I posted a review. You know how life goes and we get busy but sometimes something happens that stops us in our steps. Well this happened a few days ago....this happened...

proxy.php

The razor came with a whole set of plates and 2 handles. Let me start off with I don't like the look of bare brass. To me it just looks cheap. To let you know how much I dislike bare brass I bought a brass General and had it replated in nickle. So this brings us the bare brass Karve. I just love the looks of this thing! The patina is just beautiful. The handle grips remind me dragon scales. The top cap is cut out for the blade ends to stick out. While I don't care for function of this feature it does add to the cool look.
Holding the razor is a joy. I was afraid that the weight of this would be too heavy. So many of the modern razors could be confused with hammers due to their weight. This razor is balanced just right. It just fits in the hand and the angle of the shave was simple to find.

Onto the shave. The razor came with the C plate already installed so I went with that first. Being a new to me razor I was careful not being sure how aggressive it would be. I had no reason to fear. The C plate is efficient but smooth. It has some blade feel but since I like that this was wonderful . 3 passes without an issue. I haven't had RAD for a long time but this razor brought up some of it's old tinges.

I next jumped right up to the F plate. I had gained so much confidence from the C that the F didn't seem like an unsafe thing to do. The F plate brought up the blade feel to high. This is an aggressive plate for sure. Going with the grain was fine but when I went XTG this is when it felt like the blade wanted to dig in. Whether I got sloppy with the angle or went to fast I don't know but I felt a little sense of fear. I didn't cut myself but the Karve got my attention. Ended with a great shave.

A step down to the E plate was next. As expected this tames the beast just enough that I was back into my comfort zone. Over all I think if I was to buy a plate this is the highest I would go. I saw someone say they wanted a K plate, we'll with all due respect.... you're nuts.

Tomorrow I will break out the D plate for a few days before this razor goes back home.

Sign me up. A "K" plate might push it out of the medium level the "F" is. Some people like blade feel. I use CG lvl 3, Ikon Tech and R41 as daily drivers and found the "F" too mild.

Sign me up. A "K" plate might push it out of the medium level the "F" is. Some people like blade feel. I use CG lvl 3, Ikon Tech and R41 as daily drivers and found the "F" too mild.
were_not_worthy_waynes_world.gif

I only had issues with XTG but that was enough to know I wouldn't go higher.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
When I ordered a month ago I wish I'd had read this thread first. Still TBD is a Karve with a D and a F plate, 3" handled. At the time I'd some razor funds from a brush sale running through me fingers, and probably based on this should have gone higher .. but I thought paying for 2X knowing one or the other wouldn't work thought I was covered. Seems from these comments I went low .. my Wolfman is .74, Timeless .95, Fatboy set on 9 ..all are ok for daily driving, albeit safely

The the "Ammonia Method" is pretty simple you put about an inch of clear Ammonia in the bottom of a sealable container then either place the item you want to age/patina on a plat that keeps it above the Ammonia or suspend somehow above the Ammonia then seal the container leave the item(s) in the container for a couple hours take the items out check if you like the results or if the patina is dark enough. If it's not dark enough you put it back in the same way as before for another hour or two.

Additionally, you can dip the razor in salt heavy water then dry with a hair dryer before the process above. This apparently allows the green oxidation to also develop on the razor if you want that effect. I've also read that heating the brass with a hair dryer helps the oxidation process some.

I had a container that I drilled holes in the lid of and suspended the razor via heavy gauge wire I made hooks from. Then I placed some duct tape over the lid so to keep everything airtight. I placed the razor in which I had taken apart and suspended all three parts above the Ammonia. I did not heat the parts with a hair dryer do the saltwater dip for the first two hours and when I took everything out I liked the results but I was curious what would happen if I now did the saltwater dip and drying and heating with a hairdryer so I did that resealed the parts suspended in the container for another hour. I really like the results and the top cap had a small spot of green on it which I liked.

By the way, I forgot one thing in order to stop the oxidation process after removing the parts from the container you rinse everything in cold water. Which I did each time I removed the parts.

I'm going to be busy after I get home from work this evening but if I can squeeze in taking some pics I will post some pictures of my razor now that it is how I want to keep it.

Thanks for this Tom, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when you have a few minutes. I'm very curious to see a green patina on a Karve.

BTW: I just got mine and tried a shave with a C plate. Fabulous.
The the "Ammonia Method" is pretty simple you put about an inch of clear Ammonia in the bottom of a sealable container then either place the item you want to age/patina on a plat that keeps it above the Ammonia or suspend somehow above the Ammonia then seal the container leave the item(s) in the container for a couple hours take the items out check if you like the results or if the patina is dark enough. If it's not dark enough you put it back in the same way as before for another hour or two.

Additionally, you can dip the razor in salt heavy water then dry with a hair dryer before the process above. This apparently allows the green oxidation to also develop on the razor if you want that effect. I've also read that heating the brass with a hair dryer helps the oxidation process some.

I had a container that I drilled holes in the lid of and suspended the razor via heavy gauge wire I made hooks from. Then I placed some duct tape over the lid so to keep everything airtight. I placed the razor in which I had taken apart and suspended all three parts above the Ammonia. I did not heat the parts with a hair dryer do the saltwater dip for the first two hours and when I took everything out I liked the results but I was curious what would happen if I now did the saltwater dip and drying and heating with a hairdryer so I did that resealed the parts suspended in the container for another hour. I really like the results and the top cap had a small spot of green on it which I liked.

By the way, I forgot one thing in order to stop the oxidation process after removing the parts from the container you rinse everything in cold water. Which I did each time I removed the parts.

I'm going to be busy after I get home from work this evening but if I can squeeze in taking some pics I will post some pictures of my razor now that it is how I want to keep it.

Hi everyone, I apologize for not posting any pics. I had a bad allergic reaction to something this week and the meds the doc gave have had me all out of sorts. I will try to do it sometime this weekend.

It has been a while since I posted a review. You know how life goes and we get busy but sometimes something happens that stops us in our steps. Well this happened a few days ago....this happened...

proxy.php

The razor came with a whole set of plates and 2 handles. Let me start off with I don't like the look of bare brass. To me it just looks cheap. To let you know how much I dislike bare brass I bought a brass General and had it replated in nickle. So this brings us the bare brass Karve. I just love the looks of this thing! The patina is just beautiful. The handle grips remind me dragon scales. The top cap is cut out for the blade ends to stick out. While I don't care for function of this feature it does add to the cool look.
Holding the razor is a joy. I was afraid that the weight of this would be too heavy. So many of the modern razors could be confused with hammers due to their weight. This razor is balanced just right. It just fits in the hand and the angle of the shave was simple to find.

Onto the shave. The razor came with the C plate already installed so I went with that first. Being a new to me razor I was careful not being sure how aggressive it would be. I had no reason to fear. The C plate is efficient but smooth. It has some blade feel but since I like that this was wonderful . 3 passes without an issue. I haven't had RAD for a long time but this razor brought up some of it's old tinges.

I next jumped right up to the F plate. I had gained so much confidence from the C that the F didn't seem like an unsafe thing to do. The F plate brought up the blade feel to high. This is an aggressive plate for sure. Going with the grain was fine but when I went XTG this is when it felt like the blade wanted to dig in. Whether I got sloppy with the angle or went to fast I don't know but I felt a little sense of fear. I didn't cut myself but the Karve got my attention. Ended with a great shave.

A step down to the E plate was next. As expected this tames the beast just enough that I was back into my comfort zone. Over all I think if I was to buy a plate this is the highest I would go. I saw someone say they wanted a K plate, we'll with all due respect.... you're nuts.

Tomorrow I will break out the D plate for a few days before this razor goes back home.

Nice report there amigo.....

That sunken treasure one makes me want to put a little more time into the aging process this weekend before I post a picture. That is one seriously cool looking Karve Razor.

Hi,

I'm waiting on the arrival of my Karve with a B plate and being fairly new to 'proper' shaving I was wondering what I should expect in terms of comfort and closeness?

I shave everyday and so never really build up much in the way of growth, but since I'm always in a rush in the mornings I tend to do a quick 2 pass shave after my shower and then out!

Will the B plate get me there in style?

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I have the B plate and use it at least twice a week, if not more. My daily plates are the B and the C. I came from using a Slim exclusively, starting at setting 6 for the first pass and dropping to 5 for the remainder.

I find the B plate shaves as comfortable as the Slim on 5 with a closeness closer to setting 6. I use B whenever there has been 18 hours or less of growth, as I find it to be very comfortable yet efficient, without causing irritation.

From what you wrote above, I think you will be very pleased! Enjoy!

I’ve got the B, C & D plates. I started with C and then quickly moved to the D.
I have never tried the B Plate but I assume it would give a close, comfortable shave with little to no irritation and virtually no chance of cuts or nicks. It might not get as close as you’d like but definitely close enough to look professional.

Top Bottom