What's new

A Turkish Delight: The Yuma razor.

I'm back from my travels and whilst I tried a lot of new shaving tackle abroad, I thought I would focus on one particularly special gem I found in a treasure trove of shaving.

The Yuma Razor.

20180826_225751.jpg

I'd originally found this for €0.50 unboxed (It is the unboxed one I used for this review) but then I found them, boxed for sale @ €0.20!

I don't remember finding anything ever as cheap, either disposable or not.
The razor is a three piece, die-cast safety razor based on (I think) an old Merkur design. It is not Merkur quality. The finish appears to be galvanised, although this may just be the natural finish of the die cast metal (zamac?)

Putting a blade in it offers no better (or worse) alignment than any other razor without centre bar or corner tab alignment (Hello 34c). Once aligned however, all is good. Don't wrench the handle though!. A nominal twist to tighten is all you need and all the Yuma can handle.

It is lightweight. The handle is hollow and the cap and plate is thin. It has the same weight as a bakelite razor.

The guard bar is simple and will not take a drop on the floor. The blade is well exposed but the cap has a bit of a radius to it meaning that shave angle once tightened up, is more moderate than other razors.

As for the shaving abillity:

A bit like a cup of tea with a full English breakfast, or a hot bath after a hard day or a good sf book at the weekend, some things just work really well for me.This is the case with the Yuma.
Despite it being the cheapest razor I ever will own, it has given me utterly fantastic shaves. No irritation, no nicks, no tugging, no rough spots, no weepers, just a really damn fine shave. Of all the modern and vintage razors I have, the Yuma has given me the most comfortable and closest shaves. Some say it is an aggressive, blood thirsty monster. I'll say that I can't feel the blade when using it.

It cost €0.20c.

It has given me a bit of a RAD crisis tbh. I've been picking up razors for 100 times the Yuma yet the Yuma works the best.

It may be down to its apparent cheapness as to why it works so well for me. The weight is so that I really can let it pull itself across my face. No pressure lol. It magnifies the feedback which is fantastic. It lets me shave like a youtuber lol.

I've used 3 different blades (perma sharp, Rapira and Gillette yellows) in the Yuma to great results.

I really hope it lasts (I'm sure it will tbh). It may well put my other razors to pasture.
If you get the chance to use one, please do. You may be seriously impressed and for €0.20c what have you to lose?

The Turks have some great shaving gear.

Congrats on finding a super inexpensive razor that works so well. I'm curious, before the Yuma, what was your daily driver? Do you typically prefer light razors?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Turkish, yes
Delight, no

My experience only. I have many more comfortable and enjoyable razors, life is much too short not to use the quality tools I own. Yumas are sidelined, out of rotation, unused.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I had never heard of one until your previous Turkish post. I would give one a go for the price. Trouble with getting one to Australia is the cost of postage. Oh well, one day I might get to Turkey.

looks like the cheap concord I bought locally for a few bucks.

it shaves like crap and the sharp bottom cap edge is more dangerous than a sharp blade. Alignment is a total failure. Worst of all, the threading wore off after a few weeks.

Congrats on finding a super inexpensive razor that works so well. I'm curious, before the Yuma, what was your daily driver? Do you typically prefer light razors?

Merkur 34c.

I don't have (or didn't) an opinion on weight, although i would get great shaves from my aluminium handled Tech.

Turkish, yes
Delight, no

My experience only. I have many more comfortable and enjoyable razors, life is much too short not to use the quality tools I own. Yumas are sidelined, out of rotation, unused.

Very much YMMV.

I am utterly perplexed as to why i get such great shaves with it. I don't care about the build or design of a razor if it is giving me great shaves and the Yuma does.

It is not the price of a razor but the geometry of the razor that gives great shaves. I really like Saiver razor (loaded only with one blade and included shim). Still Saiver is one of the more affordable razors (around $10 shipped). For me it beats many of the more expensive razors.

I had the pleasure of using one as part of a passaround. I wasn't aware of the strong opinions on it until I commented on how enjoyable it was. Kind of kicking myself for not trading a tech or SS for one of the three in that box.
Can't find them on Ebay either...
Just as well, eight months into my Sabbatical and all...

I'm fairly sure they are made in China - the one I bought in Greece and the one I've bought from eehbay are indistinguishable were it not for the name on the cap. I suppose a Chinese manufacturer could've bought some factory dies from Turkey at some point but... Either way, I'm not terribly keen on either, but they look cool.

It is not the price of a razor but the geometry of the razor that gives great shaves. I really like Saiver razor (loaded only with one blade and included shim). Still Saiver is one of the more affordable razors (around $10 shipped). For me it beats many of the more expensive razors.
Is that the one with the open comb on one side and closed on the other?
Do you personally use it with two blades or just one? I've had one in my DE drawer for a few years, but don't remember ever using it.

I'm fairly sure they are made in China - the one I bought in Greece and the one I've bought from eehbay are indistinguishable were it not for the name on the cap. I suppose a Chinese manufacturer could've bought some factory dies from Turkey at some point but... Either way, I'm not terribly keen on either, but they look cool.
They are called concord and shogun in Singapore. Total garbage. They are just 2 or 3 sgd here.

Is that the one with the open comb on one side and closed on the other?
Do you personally use it with two blades or just one? I've had one in my DE drawer for a few years, but don't remember ever using it.
They have one head like you described and then one with safety bar on both side. I have both. I never use them with two blades, I always load them with only one blade: cap -> included blade separator -> blade -> base plate -> handle.

Like this they are mild and smooth but still very efficient if held at the proper angle. Some would argue they are too mild, but once learned you get easily BBS with these razors too.

I really miss having one of these! I loved mine until it eventually started to become uneven in the safety bar. Always wanted to find a good well made razor similar to this! If i could find these cheap somewhere, I'd buy a few and put them away.

Is there actually any "improvement " ??

Actually, yes. Apart from shaving properties and the YMMV-part this Chinese razor does feel better, looks better and is better made. Still a piece of junk but a better piece of junk with a shaving characteristic that is very close to the Turkish Yuma for around 2 bucks. It isn't worldshocking though....:001_rolle

Top Bottom