What's new

Things not to do over 50

It would have been better if they at least matched the pictures with the exercise they were discussing. I do modify things a bit these days, but not to the extent described in the article. I go easy on the shoulder press as I tend to really feel it in my joints. I am careful on leg pressed and leg lifts not to get too ambitious as not to overstrain my knees. Other than that, I simply ensure I use enough weight to give a solid workout.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I haven't read Readers Digest since the 1960s when they had articles like "My dog taught me how to pray.."

The "article" makes sense, since d-o-g spelled backwards is God ... :angel: throw in something about "turning your life around" ...

I miss pithy, optimistic, Americana-style things like that.

It's been replaced with angry, moron-driven articles such as "Why STOP signs should offend you," "Five Reasons You Should HATE the One You Love," etc.

If you're under 50, you might have never even HEARD of Reader's Digest.

AA

Oddly enough, the exercise that has injured me more than any other - the shoulder press - didn't even make their list.

Shoulder presses can be murder on older backs and shoulders.

It was Readers Digest that helped popularize the myth about "waiting X hours or minutes after eating before going swimming".
(But it appeared in "Scouting For Boys" in 1908.)

Oddly enough, the exercise that has injured me more than any other - the shoulder press - didn't even make their list.

Shoulder presses can be murder on older backs and shoulders.
I do very light weight on the shoulder press. I always feel like it would be too easy to tear something.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Getting workout advice from Reader's Digest is kind of like getting souffle-baking advice from Golf Digest or fruit tree pruing advice from Popular Mechanics.

It was Readers Digest that helped popularize the myth about "waiting X hours or minutes after eating before going swimming".
(But it appeared in "Scouting For Boys" in 1908.)

Is this really a myth? You just blew up a 40 year belief of mine... All those hours of waiting to swim!

Is this really a myth? You just blew up a 40 year belief of mine... All those hours of waiting to swim!
Yes.
Totally bogus.
I've even seen a chart with different types of meals and their corresponding recommended wait times.
I remember when I was about 10 years old or so, having to wait a whole hour before I was allowed to go wading in a brook that was, at most, waist deep for me.

From Monday's medical myth: wait 30 minutes after eating before you swim :

"So what does the data say about the myth?

An examination of the Royal Lifesaving Association’s Australian reports on drowning over the past few years gives no mention of lives being lost after eating. And neither the American Academy of Pediatrics, the United States’ Consumer Product Safety Commission, nor the American Red Cross offer any guidelines or warning related to swimming after eating.

These organisations are far more concerned with the elevated risk of drowning due to drinking alcohol. Alcohol and drugs can severely impair judgement and physical ability, and increase the risk of spasm of the vocal cords if water enters the windpipe.

In the 2010-11 reporting period, 17% of all drownings in Australia were attributed to alcohol or drugs. Within the 18-to-34 age group, this figure was much higher – up to 45%. So it’s important to be aware of the risk of alcohol and drugs when in, on and around the water.

While swimming on a full stomach can be uncomfortable and, if excessive, can lead to vomiting, it’s unlikely to put you at greater risk of drowning. This will be great news for kids, but less so for their parents wanting to rest after lunch."​

I will give some credence to the "don't swim right after eating" only because I can detect a slight change in body temperature after eating a full meal. As if blood flow is being diverted towards digestion, causing the extremities to be cooler. But when I was 15 years old I never detected such a thing.

The only modification I do is with deep knee bends. I now use a hack squat machine and only go as low to keep my upper legs parallel with the floor.

Unless you are more than 90% sure you can win, don't get in a fight if you're over 50.

Or any age for that matter.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Unless you are more than 90% sure you can win, don't get in a fight if you're over 50.

Or any age for that matter.

Or the corollary , don't pick a fight with an old guy, he'll just kill you. (won't risk getting injured going toe to toe)

Top Bottom