What's new

Gillette Tech 63 grams

Hi All

I've recently purchased a 63g Tech off the Bay - sorry no picture yet.

I have a number of Techs, pre war, post war, oval slot, triangle slot, fat handled, slim handled, flat bottomed, aluminium handled etc.

This one interested me for it's weight and the fact that it looks in immaculate condition.

I've done a fair bit of digging about and to date have found very little information about a 63g razor.

Can any of you knowledgeable folk enlighten me please?

Thank you.

Should be around 45.5. If produced around war time, it may be steel but not sure about that weight difference. I’ll have to check about the ball end versus fat handle weight also.

Maybe they are throwing a heavier handle in for the auction or the later Psycho handle. I’m a bit stumped also.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Can't help you at the moment but I cannot wait to see a photo when you get the razor.

Yes, I did wonder if it was from a No 45 set, but my one does not have the Gillette logo etched onto the topcap.

Once I receive it I'll try to get some pics up, although I've had problems trying that in the past.

Of course it might be a complete mongrel.

R

romsitsa

Ah, ok. Some caps had no emblem, some had a plain Gillette script, others the diamond logo. I have no clue wether these are regional or date related differences, or something else.

Adam

Screenshot_20180926-173220.png
Screenshot_20180926-173103.png
Screenshot_20180926-173220~2.png

I snaffled these from eBay listing using screenshot (not sure if that's allowed).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180926-173103.png
    Screenshot_20180926-173103.png
    662 KB · Views: 17
Hi All
I've recently purchased a 63g Tech off the Bay - sorry no picture yet. I have a number of Techs, pre war, post war, oval slot, triangle slot, fat handled, slim handled, flat bottomed, aluminium handled etc.

This one interested me for it's weight and the fact that it looks in immaculate condition. I've done a fair bit of digging about and to date have found very little information about a 63g razor.

Can any of you knowledgeable folk enlighten me please? Thank you.

Should be around 45.5. If produced around war time, it may be steel but not sure about that weight difference. I’ll have to check about the ball end versus fat handle weight also.
Maybe they are throwing a heavier handle in for the auction or the later Psycho handle. I’m a bit stumped also.

I have a number of Ball End Techs (Post war NDC through 1964) ranging in weight between 58-62 grams. Anything lighter than that had a different handle (Travel, bakelite, fat handle, English aluminum, or contract). My heaviest is a gold-plated late 1940's US made BET at 62g. That's very close to smudge's English BET at 63g. I have no idea as to the age, though.

I've just bought one of those England techs off the bay, in mint condition (for 10 bucks :))
I was curious about its production date, and looked for it on Mr. Razor's great website.
It looks identical to these two:
http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1953 (Y1 on blade) Tech Set No45 England.JPG
http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1956 (B1 on blade) No24 Tech England.JPG
Including the etched Gillette logo on the cap.
Mine weights exactly 63g in fact, incredibly heavy for its diminutive size, and it's a great shaver!
Pics here: Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.
Now I'm waiting for a fat handle, flat bottom... ;)

Last edited:
I have a number of Ball End Techs (Post war NDC through 1964) ranging in weight between 58-62 grams. Anything lighter than that had a different handle (Travel, bakelite, fat handle, English aluminum, or contract). My heaviest is a gold-plated late 1940's US made BET at 62g. That's very close to smudge's English BET at 63g. I have no idea as to the age, though.

Yes sir, was too focused on my pre-war Tech with the fat handle.

A gold plated etched top Tech with a ball end handle my travel razor. I got it for 5 bucks at a garage / estate sale over 12 years ago.

Top Bottom