What's new

What's your price cutoff for a splash?

I was about to pull the trigger and get some Jeeves of Hudson Street barbershop when I came to and realized it is $8 more than Stirling's barbershop. I backed off the purchase and this thread came to mind.

I know everyone's prices fluctuate depending on how many ounces of splash the bottle holds, but what are your cutoffs for:

3.5 oz (e.g. Barrister and Mann, Captain's Choice bottle)
6 oz (e.g. Clubman, Old Spice)
13.5 oz (e.g. Floid, Vitos)

My cutoff is $15-20, but $20 is the absolute maximum. I once splurged on a $35 bottle of Alt Innsbruck, it was dissatisfying in both cost and face feel.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£10-$13 no point spending more on a slash. Weathers changing now so will be researching winter splashes soon to keep the face hydrated.

Most of my aftershaves (the ones I bought) are barbershop types such as Pinaud, Gabel's, and Master. They run about $6 to $8 a 12 to 16 ounce bottle and I like them very much. I recently "splurged" on a 3.5 oz of Pitrilon Classic at $9.99 on sale. This will be my special occasion aftershave. I like variety too much to afford anything more expensive.

If I spend a dollar per ounce I think I spent too much. I can throw alcohol, witch hazel, and glycerin together into a bottle for next to nothing and then I don't have to worry if the scent will clash with my cologne.

Probably around 16 bucks...paid 20 something for Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigars & Cognac but had a gift card from a rebate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because I like Fine products, I must say $20 or less is my range, even then I feel like spending that much on a quickly used item is a bit luxury.

Whatever Barrister and Mann reserve costs... I think it’s as pricey as I get. Usually like the cheaper stuff anyhow.

The most I've spent on a splash is Cdn$18.50 for 100 ml of Proraso Red.
$20 is probably my limit, unless I fall in love with the scent. I haven't yet.
I would want to sniff before I buy if it's over $10. I figured that if it was anything like the soap, I'd probably like it. I do.
I took a chance on $12-ish for my first Pinaud Clubman (unopened, unsniffed), but that was at a local brick & mortar store and they said I could return it it within 30 days if I decided it was not for me. More than fair, I thought.

While inexpensive aftershaves can be a bargain, they aren't generally top quality. An inexpensive aftershave might be nice, but in my small experience, won't compete with a really nice aftershave. Some data points:

1. Pinaud Clubman: $8 for something like 6oz . Practically a lifetime supply. Classic fantastic scent. It's just "ok" in terms of how it feels and how it soothes the face.
2. Old Spice (current production). Around $7 or $8 for about 4 oz. Scent is ok. Not impressive at all. Face feel is mediocre at best. I wouldn't buy this again.
3. Speick splash: About $16. Great scent, but doesn't really last all that long. Wonderful face feel with almost no burn. Probably a lot of witchhazel as a guess. I know of nothing else that smells like this. Very good quality and totally worth the price in my opinion both for the incredible scent and for the way it feels.
4. PAA CaD aftershave splash: $25 plus shipping. The best barbershop scent I've personally smelled or tried. Great face feel that lasts for a good bit after application. I think the alum is a big part of it, but I'm not sure. It definitely makes my face feel totally different than any of the others above. The scent lasts for hours, but not all day. I will almost certainly be buying another bottle of this when this one is empty, which will happen pretty soon. I've gone through 2/3 of it in about 8 months including rotating 4 to 6 other aftershaves.

I also own several other PAA aftershaves, each of which was $25. They are worth the price with really good ingredients and a difference you can feel and smell. $3 to $8 drug store aftershaves aren't even in the same league. It's like comparing a Kia to a Mercedes. They both drive and get you where you are going. But anyone paying any attention can tell an obvious difference. I'm not trying to be snobby or say that you must buy expensive aftershave. I'm just saying that in my samples the difference is quite obvious. This difference may or may not be apparent with other brands. I only own a handful of aftershaves and I'm sharing specifics about what I've personally experienced.

Brian.

CAN $16/100ml for Proraso green is the most I've spent.

After going through a maybe 15ish different drugstore AS's, Proraso is still my favorite but I've settled on the large 16oz bottle of Clubman as my go-to. I get almost five 100ml bottles of Clubman for the price of one Proraso.

A 100ml bottle of AS lasts me at the most five weeks.

For me the price I am willing to pay depends on the size of the bottle!! I purchase Floid and Proraso in the 400 ml size!! :a29:

Stirling's and Captains Choice splashes are around $18, PAA aftershave/colognes are around $20-25. For new that'd be where I draw the line.
For vintage Avon stuff I usually won't go above $8-10 if I really like it.

Two that are best for me (and among my favorite scents too) are my currently most expensive one ($50ish US) and one that costs about 1/3 that price.

What am I trying to say ? Well I guess, that you owe yourself to experiment a bit and splurge every now and then, you never know. Aftershaves last me for a very long time, so splurging a bit is not the end of the world.

Simple answer, I don't think I have any kind of self imposed limit. :D

$25 for PAA splashes, but I don't plan on many more of them. With fantastic splashes from Stirling and Chiseled Face coming in at or around $15, plus the fact that I have way too many already, I am less comfortable spending over $20 on aftershaves anymore.

I paid $20 for Tabac aftershave (w/ 20% off) and felt I was splurging. So I'd say twenty-five dollars for something rare or exotic. I average $10 and below for most of my splashes.

Top Bottom