What's new

Maybe I should rethink the Glock 20

Had a solid focus to pick up a 10mm Glock 20 in Knoxville next week. Good bear gun they say. After reading this....Thinking I may just stay with the S&W .44 Magnum.

5EA7C821-5F9D-4EC4-A060-5135AC978743.jpeg

Glock 20 Ends Bear Attack, Just Barely - AllOutdoor.com

44 for close in with a large dangerous animal.

Anything else and you better have nerves of steel to stand your ground and place each round.

No matter how big or brave you are, if charged, your first round will go into the ground just in front of your big toe, second into a tree at your side and no telling where the rest will go.

At least a 44 will make enough noise.

I would take my S&W 29-3 with 8 3/8” barrel when hunting. It would be my EDC, if it weren’t so big!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Glock 20 and sold it. Yes, I regret getting rid of it. 15 rds of 10mm at your disposal is hard to beat. It is probably a lot softer shooting than the variety of 44 mag wheel guns but to each their own. 10 mm ammo is a lot more readily available than it used to be but you would still probably have to order something a little harder hitting online for your needs. Something from Underwood or Double Tap would probably work well. Happy hunting .

If I was worried about bears, any handgun is going to be my last choice. Get a bell and a good lever or shotgun I say. But I guess they, handguns, are fast to action, and easy to tote. And as much as I love a good wheel gun, and I do, I’d feel a great deal better with the Glocks 15 rounds. A great deal better!

Recall, a bear high on the notion of killing you is going to kill you if what you’re hoping is that it’ll bleed out. You need CNS hits to stop it quick. Give me the lesser recoil and more chances at it... because using a handgun to stop a mad bear just isn’t the best tool.

If I was worried about bears, any handgun is going to be my last choice. Get a bell and a good lever or shotgun I say. But I guess they, handguns, are fast to action, and easy to tote. And as much as I love a good wheel gun, and I do, I’d feel a great deal better with the Glocks 15 rounds. A great deal better!

Recall, a bear high on the notion of killing you is going to kill you if what you’re hoping is that it’ll bleed out. You need CNS hits to stop it quick. Give me the lesser recoil and more chances at it... because using a handgun to stop a mad bear just isn’t the best tool.

I guess that’s how close the bear is when you discover him. Close up and personal, I’d rather have something short barreled that it couldn’t swat out of my hand or deflect my aim.

I reckon what ever rifle I was carrying would be respectable at range.

I guess that’s how close the bear is when you discover him. Close up and personal, I’d rather have something short barreled that it couldn’t swat out of my hand or deflect my aim.

I reckon what ever rifle I was carrying would be respectable at range.

I dig it, but if it’s swatting at a long long, it could just as easily swat at a handgun while tearing your arm to threads lol.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hunter made a few mistakes ... Lucky outcome.

Great story, though!

AA

This is exactly what I thought after reading the article. I wouldn't attempt to argue the effectiveness of a 44 mag revolver on Grizzly, But the article shows, that the guy 1. Didn't have the Glock 20 loaded to capacity. 2. He didn't have his Glock 20 loaded with proper bear loads for his Glock 20. 175 gr. standard pressure, instead of a hot loaded 200 gr round for Grizzly?

3. While those are all mistakes, his biggest mistake, was after he fired only 3 rounds into a charging Grizzly, he then turned and decided to run for it. The article says, the Grizzly was only 6 yards away when he made this wrong decision. No one gets away from a Grizzly in only 6 yards. But at that time he had 12 rounds in his Glock 20 and only fired 3? How many more, of the 9 rounds he had left, could he have put into that Grizzly at 6 yards? Quite a few I would imagine; and probably a couple of head shots.

If @Mick 's post has any possibility,

44 for close in with a large dangerous animal.

Anything else and you better have nerves of steel to stand your ground and place each round.

No matter how big or brave you are, if charged, your first round will go into the ground just in front of your big toe, second into a tree at your side and no telling where the rest will go.

At least a 44 will make enough noise.

with a missed shot in front of your foot and one in a tree, the 44 mag revolver, only has 3 shots left to accurately put into, a fast moving, charging Grizzly. Maybe if the guy would have had a revolver and not the Glock, he would have stood his ground and emptied a revolver into the bear?

I would take my S&W 29-3 with 8 3/8” barrel when hunting. It would be my EDC, if it weren’t so big!

Yes, I have one called classic hunter, unfluted cylinder, full lug, and I think a 7 1/2 factory ported barrel. Big, heavy and loud is the best way to describe it. The port helps a lot in getting back on target.
Photo by David Burnett

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

+1 Rifle or Shotgun at longer ranges and a hip gun if you "let yourself be surprised at close range?"

Yes, I have one called classic hunter, unfluted cylinder, full lug, and I think a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 factory porter barrel. Big, heavy and loud is the best way to describe it. The port helps a lot in getting back on target.

It should only take one bullet, so coming back on target shouldn’t mater...JK. [emoji51]

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
+1 Rifle or Shotgun at longer ranges and a hip gun if you "let yourself be surprised at close range?"

Rob is a very prudent man. With a rifle or shotgun you WILL set it down sometime...to pick something up, take a leak, whatever. And according to Murphy that's when something will happen. With a handgun it will be on you and readily available.

It wouldn't hurt to carry both, depending on how much you're willing to carry. A .44 or 10 mm would be fairly easy. And Rob is right about the guy's loads...that's the first thing I thought. He had fairly light weight expanding loads instead of heavy solids for deep penetration on something as tough as a bruin.

It should only take one bullet, so coming back on target shouldn’t mater...JK. [emoji51]

In a perfect world, If I were in country where I had to think of things chewing or clawing on me in a very aggressive manner, I would rather have one of my larger bore rifles , or a 12ga with slugs in hand. If I had to set it down and move around a bit for whatever reason I would like the 44 handy, or at least my 1911 in 10mm auto, all with heavy hard cast bullets for penetration and big holes going in.

In a perfect world, If I were in country where I had to think of things chewing or clawing on me in a very aggressive manner, I would rather have one of my larger bore rifles , or a 12ga with slugs in hand. If I had to set it down and move around a bit for whatever reason I would like the 44 handy, or at least my 1911 in 10mm auto, all with heavy hard cast bullets for penetration and big holes going in.

+1

Top Bottom