What's new

Qshave (futur clone) attacks!

I acquired a QShave yesterday. Gosh it's nice. Great shave the first time I used it.

Last night it attacked me. Four hours, four stitches later, four medical professionals, two shots, and 2am I was I'm assured my thumb will be fine.

I intend to forgive it.

Maybe, there should be a subforum in razors for these stories.

Hold the ends of the cap firmly with the thumb and index finger. Keep other digits out of the way.

Ouch. That couldn’t have been fun. Reminds me of when I ran a filleting knife into my finger tip while sharpening it late at night in the wilderness. Had to motor down the lake the next day and drive 30 miles to a hospital in North Bay, Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pop the top off by holding the handle in my fist and I then push up gently on one end, with my thumb.

My advise would be to not play with the razor when your totally exhausted and slightly inebriated. I was waiting for the tub to fill. To fill the time I was trying different adjustments.

Probably ought to have used the alum block.

I pop the top off by holding the handle in my fist and I then push up gently on one end, with my thumb.

My advise would be to not play with the razor when your totally exhausted and slightly inebriated. I was waiting for the tub to fill. To fill the time I was trying different adjustments.

Really, grab the ends of the cap with thumb and index finger. Firmly anchor the one end with your thumb. Pry the opposite end up gently with your index finger until it releases. It works and is how Merkur says to do it.

Never, ever, ever adjust the Futur or its clones with a blade loaded, especially with wet hands (or if intoxicated). Same thing happened to me, though just a super bad cut and no hospital visit. Some wrap a towel around the head while adjusting.

Never, ever, ever adjust the Futur or its clones with a blade loaded....

I entirely agree with this sage advise. :thumbup1: Particularly my thumb!

I've seen it suggested that one might adjust from one pass to the next. Hard to believe there are inappropriate suggestions on the Internet, isn't it!

Just hold the head below the base plate with one hand and adjust with the other. I never have an issue.

Just hold the head below the base plate with one hand and adjust with the other. I never have an issue.

Good! Though the Futur (mine at least) requires some torque to adjust so this is possible, but not ideal. And there is still the risk of a slip with wet hands and a sliced flinger. :yikes:

The Progress is much better for adjusting mid shave.

Good! Though the Futur (mine at least) requires some torque to adjust so this is possible, but not ideal. And there is still the risk of a slip with wet hands and a sliced flinger. :yikes:

I also shave with a straight, so I’m probably always in cautious mode. I do dry my hands and my Futur does have the matte finish.

I also shave with a straight, so I’m probably always in cautious mode. I do dry my hands and my Futur does have the matte finish.

Using a straight and always being cautious seem a bit incongruous. :jump:

One of these years I’ll get my nerve up!

I sliced my thumb when trying to adjust my QShave from 2 to 3 mid shave. The whole head just rotated around and because I had been pinching the ends, my thumb just slid along the ouchy part.
I finished my shave with my left hand above my head, then stuck a Band-Aid on it.
Now I always use a silicon rubber pad to grip the head.
It's usual purpose is to protect the sink from scratches from blade ends or bottoms of ceramic bowls.

There is also the difficulty of extracting the blade if it pops off stuck to the cap, because the ends are covered.
I keep a little plastic rod with magnets on the ends (piece from a molecule modeling toy, I think) next to the sink, to pick the blade up.

Last edited:
Really, grab the ends of the cap with thumb and index finger. Firmly anchor the one end with your thumb. Pry the opposite end up gently with your index finger until it releases. It works and is how Merkur says to do it.

I saw that when I was trying to decide on what first adjustable razor to buy. It made me rule out the Futur. I went with a Parker Variant.

Some legendary ancient weapons were rumored to cut off the limbs of people who dared to touch them without being worthy of the honor... I am sure it’s just a legend...

On a serious note, sorry that this happened to you. Speedy recovery!

Sorry about your thumb. I guess I will check this one off my list. With my twitchy hands it could be a blood bath.

Hold the ends of the cap firmly with the thumb and index finger. Keep other digits out of the way.

Ouch. That couldn’t have been fun. Reminds me of when I ran a filleting knife into my finger tip while sharpening it late at night in the wilderness. Had to motor down the lake the next day and drive 30 miles to a hospital in North Bay, Ontario.

Wilderness boat trips? Sounds like a great time!

my tips here are to adjust by placing the head in a available cloth hey that towel will do then adjust . remove the top by popping one end of the cap off at a time I do mine by holding the shaft and pushing up on the tang on the end with my thumb ( only do this with a dry razor and dry hands ) replace the blade by holding the cap in one hand and place the new blade over the 2 pins then line the handle up and light preasure to push together . or place the cap and blade on your counter top and push the handle on .

Hey! I lived in North Bay for 7 yrs as a kid. My father was in the air Force. Loved it there. Fishing and camping! Wasn't shaving yet.

Top Bottom